Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

Is anyone swapping out 3 inch catback exhaust over the off-season?

3K views 30 replies 10 participants last post by  Darth Menace 
#1 ·
hey guys, i was wondering i anyone is planning on taking their 3 inch exhaust off some time soon? on viper sites i read alot about people not liking the sound of this system, so switching to another one. well, having a wife, mortgage, 3 kids I have figured out if i am going to play the viper game then I am going to have to buy other people's used stuff. i know there is the exhaust thread, etc, but honestly my viper is going to sound what it sounds like. beggars can't be choosers. i am looking for a 3 inch exhaust that would fit a rear exit gts. brand doesnt matter as much to me as price, but i dont want it damaged or in crapped condition. i dropped the ball last month by not buying a used custom catback for $300. I am thinking that a custom catback or 3 inch mopar may be my best possibility. I likely wont be interested in a used bellanger or corsa catback when I can get a new magnaflow for that price. anyways, message or pm me what you have. again,,,,a cheaper used custom catback or mopar (or posisbly magnaflopw) is likely what I will go for

#2 ·
I do have a used magnaflow I just took off my car that is 3". I went to the Corsa for personal reasons. I will let it go for 200 bucks plus shipping if you want it. Here is a sound clip of it on the car. Don't mind my buddy being a idiot.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DMKYeFzuwk&list=PL008D2A94DF62D212&feature=mh_lolz]Viper2 - YouTube[/ame]

#6 ·
just watched that video. is that a stock motor , and is the rest of the exhaust otherwise stock? Cant wait to get this bad boy

I do have a used magnaflow I just took off my car that is 3". I went to the Corsa for personal reasons. I will let it go for 200 bucks plus shipping if you want it. Here is a sound clip of it on the car. Don't mind my buddy being a idiot.

Viper2 - YouTube

#5 ·
Don't mean any disrespect by hijacking your thread but I'm in the same boat.. looking for a used 3" exhaust I've been looking for a set of B&B' s with no luck.. if anybody has an exhaust laying around or that they are going to be swapping out please shoot me a PM! Really interested and ready to move on something

#15 ·
Thanks guys. I cam across a bit of a problem and I was hoping someone would have some solution.

I guess factory exhaust on a viper is 2.5 inches. Well don't ask my why but mine is 2.25 inches. The reducer that came with this set is 2.5-3 inch and is more of a tightening clamp and not a fixed reducer. So there is no way to clamp the magnaflow muffler to the factory exhaust ahead of it. So what do I do?

I have never some across the tightening/clamping reducers so I doubt I could find a 2.25-3 inch one locally. I thought of 3 different options and am unsure which is the best fix:

- use the current 2.5-3 inch reducer and get some thin piece of metal to put in the gap between the 2.25 pipe and 2.5 inch reducer to help keep it supported. I could then put JD weld around the remaining gap. This would likely be the easiest bet, but there would be places that it could leak.

-look for a 2.25 od-2.5 od fixed reducer. I could try to slide the 2.25 end up high enough onto the 2.25 pipe so that I could clamp the existing reducer onto it.

-get a 2.25-3 inch reducer made at a shop. This will likely cost more, and it last time I went to the muffler shop to get my straight pipes made the one pipe fit fine and the second pipe was a bit larger than 2.25od and not a snug fit.

Tell me what you guys think. I want to get this bad boy done today.

#18 ·
It looks like I will have to make-shift something....I've called around and there are no 2.25-3 inch reducers and the muffler shop said if they made one it will just split it because of the size difference. I guess I will have to somehow makeshift some wedges to make the 2.25 output fit the 2.5 inch clamp.....

#22 ·
I will have part of a corsa exhaust available shortly. The catback portion. You will need to buy the rear section or buy a different rear section such as random tech from partsrack. Either way your looking at a cat back exhaust for under 1200 of decent quality. Let me know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.