DIY: Turning a 1:24 scale RT/10 into a GEN2 RT - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Collectables, Apparel or Merchandise
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Collectables, Apparel or Merchandise A place to discuss, trade or otherwise promote Viper merchandise, collectables or apparel.

DIY: Turning a 1:24 scale RT/10 into a GEN2 RT

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

DIY: Turning a 1:24 scale RT/10 into a GEN2 RT
Old January 28th, 2011, 02:05 PM   #1
Enthusiast

JMCustoms is definately JV with 270 pointsJMCustoms is definately JV with 270 pointsJMCustoms is definately JV with 270 points
Arrow DIY: Turning a 1:24 scale RT/10 into a GEN2 RT

Been into vipers for 13 years since I was 9. I don't own a Viper, but hopefully soon. I have a collection a of 1:18, 1:24 ...etc models. I collected a bunch and kind of lost interest by 2002 and around 2008 I slowly got back into it and the other day decided to combine a Bburago 1:24 RT and a GTS and make a GEN 2 1998-99 RT.

The way I'm approaching this is I will need the finished model to have the rear end on a GEN1, the front end/hood of a GEN2 and covered side pipe with a rear exhaust.

Step 1: Disasemble models, cut GEN1 grill/hood off, attatch GTS grill/hood to GEN1 frame.
Step 2: Fill GEN1 side pipes in with GTS bottom side sills.
Step 3: Install GTS inner door panels onto RT doors.
Step 4: Paint interior semi-gloss black with soft flexable latex paint.
Step 5: Strip paint off body, re-paint body gloss red.
Step 6: Add proper decals, install GTS wheels...FINISHED

Imperfections:
-Hood will say ViperGTS, when it should say ViperRT/10
-Engine will have GEN1 intake design
Overall it will be a legit model and 1 of a kind.

Last edited by JMCustoms; January 29th, 2011 at 10:37 AM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 28th, 2011, 06:35 PM   #2
Enthusiast

JMCustoms is definately JV with 270 pointsJMCustoms is definately JV with 270 pointsJMCustoms is definately JV with 270 points
Just finished stripping the paint and gave the body a sand/polish on the casting seams. Rear roof deck is still soaking.

Old February 5th, 2011, 10:45 PM   #3
Enthusiast

New updates, re-painted engine, cut out attached door stems, painted inerior satin black. I just put some of the model together as a mock-up. I'm still deciding on what color, I was going to do red, but that's a color most Gen 1 models come in, so I was thinking maybe silver, black or yellow, no...wait there were no factory yellow RT's in 1998. Was it 1999 or 2000 that they used the smoother final edition styled rims, if it was '99 I have to stick to red, silver or black. Anyone have suggestions?

Old February 5th, 2011, 11:31 PM   #4

slovenom  with -356 pointsslovenom  with -356 pointsslovenom  with -356 pointsslovenom  with -356 points
Awesome

Old February 6th, 2011, 08:56 PM   #5
Enthusiast

Jon Mopar is well liked with 211 pointsJon Mopar is well liked with 211 pointsJon Mopar is well liked with 211 points
I could have swore Burago made a 2Gen Viper....or was it just a 1st gen w/2gen wheels?? I have quite a few Buragos, good quality over all.

What did you use to strip the paint?? it's hard getting the paint out of the hood vents.

Old February 6th, 2011, 10:23 PM   #6
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Mopar View Post
I could have swore Burago made a 2Gen Viper....or was it just a 1st gen w/2gen wheels?? I have quite a few Buragos, good quality over all.

What did you use to strip the paint?? it's hard getting the paint out of the hood vents.
Burago only made Gen1's and some with Gen2 paint jobs and wheels. I always use Klean Strip premium grade, works then best on anything, makes model car paint come off in nearly 5 minutes. Hood vents were no problem.

Old February 6th, 2011, 10:51 PM   #7
Enthusiast

Jon Mopar is well liked with 211 pointsJon Mopar is well liked with 211 pointsJon Mopar is well liked with 211 points
does that stripper work on plastic?? I bought a couple of super rare half-assembled kits.....but the paint work was horrible

thanks for the info

Old February 6th, 2011, 11:20 PM   #8

slovenom  with -356 pointsslovenom  with -356 pointsslovenom  with -356 pointsslovenom  with -356 points
Looks awesome .)

Old February 7th, 2011, 01:11 AM   #9
Enthusiast

p.s - should look sweet!

Old February 7th, 2011, 02:45 PM   #10
Enthusiast

Quote:
does that stripper work on plastic?? I bought a couple of super rare half-assembled kits.....but the paint work was horrible

thanks for the info
Only use the Klean Strip on the die-cast models, because it will melt and ruin plastic, I've had good success using acetone on plastics. You can find Klean Strip at Wal*Mart and any other hardware stores, and they also have softer paint removers for plastics and such materials I've seen.

Old February 7th, 2011, 03:09 PM   #11

spideyfoot is definately JV with 280 pointsspideyfoot is definately JV with 280 pointsspideyfoot is definately JV with 280 points
a good soak in pine-sol can remove most paints. Safe for most plastics. Seems like it might take a night or two submerged in it. I would try a piece of sprue or something first you never know with vintage plastic.

Old February 7th, 2011, 03:46 PM   #12

GIII is not afraid of bears with 4964 pointsGIII is not afraid of bears with 4964 pointsGIII is not afraid of bears with 4964 pointsGIII is not afraid of bears with 4964 pointsGIII is not afraid of bears with 4964 pointsGIII is not afraid of bears with 4964 pointsGIII is not afraid of bears with 4964 pointsGIII is not afraid of bears with 4964 pointsGIII is not afraid of bears with 4964 pointsGIII is not afraid of bears with 4964 pointsGIII is not afraid of bears with 4964 points
Cool.. I think I am going to repaint my 1:24 GTS

Old February 7th, 2011, 08:54 PM   #13
Enthusiast

I have a 1/18 Burago RT that I want to take apart.....but it's a lot harder than the 1/24. I have no clue how to get it apart and not break something.

Old February 7th, 2011, 11:23 PM   #14
Enthusiast

Quote:
I have a 1/18 Burago RT that I want to take apart.....but it's a lot harder than the 1/24. I have no clue how to get it apart and not break something.
Lickily I have the experience only because I had no clue what I was doing and did break parts ruining a couple models.
I have a Maisto GTS which ended up being my first specemin that I still have in a box with the rest of my junked models. Some parts got broken, other fell on the floor....vaccumed up, stepped on, you name it.

Old February 8th, 2011, 11:04 AM   #15
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCustoms View Post
Lickily I have the experience only because I had no clue what I was doing and did break parts ruining a couple models.
I have a Maisto GTS which ended up being my first specemin that I still have in a box with the rest of my junked models. Some parts got broken, other fell on the floor....vaccumed up, stepped on, you name it.

hahaha, you sound like me with the vaccumed up parts. I did a Ram VTS (revell), turned out awesome, then it fell off my cabinet and bit the dust. A lot of it's parts went to model car heaven (the vacuum), but I used the Viper motor in a street rod...which was cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Collectables, Apparel or Merchandise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in