Screw the 1/4 mile, who wants to run the mile?! - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » The Track
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

The Track Talk Tech with Performance Junkies or talk about taking it to the track. "Kill Stories" posted here.

Screw the 1/4 mile, who wants to run the mile?!

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old November 9th, 2005, 02:21 PM   #1

shiphteey is unremarkable with 20 points

1st post here. I own a kawasaki zx-12r on nos, no viper for me although I have raced 2 on the streets and it wasn't even close (no offense guys).

Anyways, if anyone is interested its called the Maxton Mile in NC. Runs a few times every year. Standing start mile, 1 person runs at a time for MPH, not time.

I figured I'd post this up and see if any of you guys would be interested. I just got hooked on the mile and I figured some of you guys would probably be interested in it and may not even know about it. Good place to work on your shift points and see what works and what doesn't.

Any of you guys capable of hitting 200 in the mile? I close with a 199.57.

Next run is in March, btw.

www.ecta-lsr.com

Peace,

A.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Re: Screw the 1/4 mile, who wants to run the mile?!
Old November 9th, 2005, 03:59 PM   #2

Dynoroom is unremarkable with 10 points

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphteey
1st post here.
1 person runs at a time for MPH, not time.

I figured I'd post this up and see if any of you guys would be interested. I just got hooked on the mile and I figured some of you guys would probably be interested in it and may not even know about it. Good place to work on your shift points and see what works and what doesn't.

Any of you guys capable of hitting 200 in the mile? I close with a 199.57.

Next run is in March, btw.

www.ecta-lsr.com

Peace,

A.

What a way to start a 1st post . I'm sure you'll find out soon enough that there are indeed a couple of cars able to do two bills in the standing mile .
As for how tough you are how come your not running 230+ like a couple other bikes do in the mile?
And now that you've got a taste of LSR bring that bad boy out to the salt so my car can spank you by a hundred or so

Old November 9th, 2005, 04:44 PM   #3

HAHA! Who said I was tough? How come I haven't hit 200 yet? Lots of reasons really. Still had my stock signals on, it was my 3rd nitrous pass ever, had the K&Ns in instead of the BMC, I'm a rookie, its a simple set with a filter, pipe and a 40 shot dry....Total cost of all this including the bike is about 10grand with labor...

I'm presume there are vipers out there that are able to trap the mile in 200, never that there weren't. I asked if there were...maybe someone here has already ran it and knew firsthand. My purpose wasn't to have a pissing contest. I mentioned the 2 vipers I pulled on the street because, quite frankly, in a hwy roll-on modified vipers have a tough time due to tirespin. I've seen it myself. And that was when I was on an 87 1100 nat asp dynoing maybe 130 hp, not my present 215 hp or so. Next time out I should be hitting 200-201 right before the limiter btw.

And as you may be aware Lee ran 260 mph on a street legal turbo busa trapping on 1 wheel in 6th....doubt ANY viper is touching that ANY time soon IN THE MILE, PERIOD!

Again, my purpose was solely to let some viper boys know about it in case they didn't. Simple. There are only a handful of bikes out there that can hit those speeds and I already know most of em who run it...so I thought why not extend the offer to car guys too? First car that popped into my head was the viper so here I am.

A.

P.S. I've thought about running bonneville but I'm in the DC area...kinda impractical for now but I do plan on running it. You'd probably get me even if I sprayed a lil more and geared taller, who knows. But since you seem so confident that your car is so quick why not even up the playing field and come out to Maxton next spring I would venture to say that at least in the mile (see subject line of post) you wouldn't be trapping 200 and if so, it wouldn't be much more than that. Come on, I know you got money. I'm a broke ass bike owner who uses a 1.0L 3 cyl geo to tow to and from the track! No shame in my game. I simply don't have the funds or means to come out to Maxton...your car is probably worth more than my combined assets in life! That being said it would be more feasible for you to come out here, Mr. Bonneville.

Old November 9th, 2005, 05:16 PM   #4

Future Owner is unremarkable with 10 points

A few vipers have run 200 in these stanging mile events, including SVS and Paolo Castellano off the top of my head. Post this in the Viper discussions section and you may get a better response.

Old November 9th, 2005, 05:40 PM   #5

Hope they show up next spring! I posted this here because it seemed like the right place to post.

Old November 9th, 2005, 06:41 PM   #6

Dynoroom is unremarkable with 10 points

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphteey
HAHA!
I'm presume there are vipers out there that are able to trap the mile in 200, never that there weren't. I asked if there were...maybe someone here has already ran it and knew firsthand. My purpose wasn't to have a pissing contest.
Next time out I should be hitting 200-201 right before the limiter btw.

And as you may be aware Lee ran 260 mph on a street legal turbo busa ....doubt ANY viper is touching that ANY time soon IN THE MILE, PERIOD!

Again, my purpose was solely to let some viper boys know about it in case they didn't. Simple. There are only a handful of bikes out there that can hit those speeds and I already know most of em who run it...so I thought why not extend the offer to car guys too? First car that popped into my head was the viper so here I am.

A.

P.S. I've thought about running bonneville but I'm in the DC area...kinda impractical for now but I do plan on running it. You'd probably get me even if I sprayed a lil more and geared taller, who knows. But since you seem so confident that your car is so quick why not even up the playing field and come out to Maxton next spring I would venture to say that at least in the mile (see subject line of post) you wouldn't be trapping 200 and if so, it wouldn't be much more than that. Come on, I know you got money. I'm a broke ass bike owner who uses a 1.0L 3 cyl geo to tow to and from the track! No shame in my game. I simply don't have the funds or means to come out to Maxton...your car is probably worth more than my combined assets in life! That being said it would be more feasible for you to come out here, Mr. Bonneville.
Well I see I started on the wrong foot. I was just letting you know that you ran in the front door talking smack (alright with me) and I was just letting you know what you asked for. I wish the best for all LSR folks, your pass down the Maxton Mile are just as much fun as mine at the salt. Just so you know Keith Turk & Joe Timney (who run the ECTA) and many others too make the trip to the salt and we are friends, Maybe if you'd like to run at Bonneville you can tag along, there great guys.

If you want me to come back to Maxton again I'll jump into Wayne Jesels truck,(were partners on another project) after a few more shake down runs it'll be a 2 bill Dodge (even if it is a 4 door)

As for the value of your life's assets, don't bet on it. Bonneville is grass roots racing and you wouldn't use half the stuff I make work.
Enjoy your racing and I'll bet we run into each other down the road.

Old November 11th, 2005, 11:26 PM   #7

STV_Keith is unremarkable with 30 points

Check out some of the events out West. The Sandhills Open Road Event does a 1 mile shootout every year. The current speed to beat is 200.00mph, which was done by a TT Viper. That event is at about 2500' elevation, so that makes it a bit tougher.

The Silver State Classic Challenge also has both a 1/2 mile and 1 mile shootout event. This event is held just outside of Ely, NV, with an altitude of about 6200'. Currently, a Viper also holds their 1 mile shootout record at 183mph.

Lee - is a nutcase, plain and simple. For a guy to have had 30+ concussions and still get back on a bike, you know he's mental. But he's a cool guy. My dad's turbo Blackbird makes 260rwhp and it's a handful to ride on hi-boost. Fun though. I've seen right at 200mph with it a few times.

I think we might see some faster 1/2mile and 1mile times in the coming year out here though.

Old November 12th, 2005, 10:15 AM   #8

GARY J is not afraid of bears with 14610 pointsGARY J is not afraid of bears with 14610 pointsGARY J is not afraid of bears with 14610 pointsGARY J is not afraid of bears with 14610 pointsGARY J is not afraid of bears with 14610 pointsGARY J is not afraid of bears with 14610 pointsGARY J is not afraid of bears with 14610 pointsGARY J is not afraid of bears with 14610 pointsGARY J is not afraid of bears with 14610 pointsGARY J is not afraid of bears with 14610 pointsGARY J is not afraid of bears with 14610 points

I would be willing to do a 1/2 mile event(not even sure if they have those). I would not be comfortable with the speeds we could reach in a mile.

Old November 12th, 2005, 10:43 AM   #9

SVS Turbo is The Man with 1910 pointsSVS Turbo is The Man with 1910 pointsSVS Turbo is The Man with 1910 pointsSVS Turbo is The Man with 1910 pointsSVS Turbo is The Man with 1910 pointsSVS Turbo is The Man with 1910 pointsSVS Turbo is The Man with 1910 pointsSVS Turbo is The Man with 1910 pointsSVS Turbo is The Man with 1910 pointsSVS Turbo is The Man with 1910 pointsSVS Turbo is The Man with 1910 points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Owner
A few vipers have run 200 in these stanging mile events, including SVS and Paolo Castellano off the top of my head. Post this in the Viper discussions section and you may get a better response.
To date SVS has the only Viper that has reached 200mph in the standing mile at a standing mile event.

It was the first Viper to reach 200 in the mile and was achieved at the Sandhills in 2003.

It's been 3 years so I'm sure that somebody will run over 200mph at a standing mile event sometime soon :thumb:

Old November 12th, 2005, 03:56 PM   #10

STV_Keith is unremarkable with 30 points

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARY J
I would be willing to do a 1/2 mile event(not even sure if they have those). I would not be comfortable with the speeds we could reach in a mile.
I think the SSCC's Z-2-Z event will get some Viper interest this year too. 0-200-0, sponsored by Baer Brakes. Last year, the fastest car took to the full mile and only went 181 (remember it's 6200' elevation or so).

Here's the media release of the results and goals: SSCC Z-2-Z Challenge

Old November 13th, 2005, 06:50 AM   #11

CHAD is not afraid of bears with 3160 pointsCHAD is not afraid of bears with 3160 pointsCHAD is not afraid of bears with 3160 pointsCHAD is not afraid of bears with 3160 pointsCHAD is not afraid of bears with 3160 pointsCHAD is not afraid of bears with 3160 pointsCHAD is not afraid of bears with 3160 pointsCHAD is not afraid of bears with 3160 pointsCHAD is not afraid of bears with 3160 pointsCHAD is not afraid of bears with 3160 pointsCHAD is not afraid of bears with 3160 points

Think they'll have it again after Big Red got SPANKED in his own race AND missed 200 by like 20?

Old November 13th, 2005, 02:02 PM   #12

GARY J is not afraid of bears with 14610 pointsGARY J is not afraid of bears with 14610 pointsGARY J is not afraid of bears with 14610 pointsGARY J is not afraid of bears with 14610 pointsGARY J is not afraid of bears with 14610 pointsGARY J is not afraid of bears with 14610 pointsGARY J is not afraid of bears with 14610 pointsGARY J is not afraid of bears with 14610 pointsGARY J is not afraid of bears with 14610 pointsGARY J is not afraid of bears with 14610 pointsGARY J is not afraid of bears with 14610 points

If they have it next year, I'll take it.

Old November 13th, 2005, 04:10 PM   #13
Supporting Vendor

John Hennessey is not afraid of bears with 3779 pointsJohn Hennessey is not afraid of bears with 3779 pointsJohn Hennessey is not afraid of bears with 3779 pointsJohn Hennessey is not afraid of bears with 3779 pointsJohn Hennessey is not afraid of bears with 3779 pointsJohn Hennessey is not afraid of bears with 3779 pointsJohn Hennessey is not afraid of bears with 3779 pointsJohn Hennessey is not afraid of bears with 3779 pointsJohn Hennessey is not afraid of bears with 3779 pointsJohn Hennessey is not afraid of bears with 3779 pointsJohn Hennessey is not afraid of bears with 3779 points

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVS Turbo

To date SVS has the only Viper that has reached 200mph in the standing mile at a standing mile event.

It was the first Viper to reach 200 in the mile and was achieved at the Sandhills in 2003.

It's been 3 years so I'm sure that somebody will run over 200mph at a standing mile event sometime soon :thumb:
We ran 210.2 mph in a standing mile event (Road & Track shootout) with a head wind. The only reason we havent run this car at sand hills and other mile events is that it is a total street car and does not have a roll cage etc. I think a well prepared Viper race car could run over 230 mph in the standing mile if somebody really wanted to.

Old November 14th, 2005, 01:04 PM   #14

SVS Turbo is The Man with 1910 pointsSVS Turbo is The Man with 1910 pointsSVS Turbo is The Man with 1910 pointsSVS Turbo is The Man with 1910 pointsSVS Turbo is The Man with 1910 pointsSVS Turbo is The Man with 1910 pointsSVS Turbo is The Man with 1910 pointsSVS Turbo is The Man with 1910 pointsSVS Turbo is The Man with 1910 pointsSVS Turbo is The Man with 1910 pointsSVS Turbo is The Man with 1910 points

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hennessey

We ran 210.2 mph in a standing mile event (Road & Track shootout) with a head wind. The only reason we havent run this car at sand hills and other mile events is that it is a total street car and does not have a roll cage etc. I think a well prepared Viper race car could run over 230 mph in the standing mile if somebody really wanted to.
Nothing against a gathering of vehicles for the promotion of selling magazines but, I was refering to a sanctioned competitive event that is an open invitation to ALL and is held for the purpose of growing the event and competing each year. The types of events that I'm speaking of are goverened by similar "rules" across the board and grow competition between similar vehicles.

Mainly I'm relating to sanctioned racing events, not a marketing event. Marketing events are held primarily to sell magazines.

The Maxton monster mile, The Texas standing mile, The Sandhills standing mile, The Silver State classic standing mile, etc. all have a governing body that focuses on upholding the "rules" and keeping things as safe as possible.

One of the most important factors of a sanctioned racing event is that you get wrote up in the record books :thumb: It would be awesome if you were recognized and in the record books at a sanctioned event for that 210mph standing mile :thumb:

Old November 14th, 2005, 01:21 PM   #15
Supporting Vendor

John Hennessey is not afraid of bears with 3779 pointsJohn Hennessey is not afraid of bears with 3779 pointsJohn Hennessey is not afraid of bears with 3779 pointsJohn Hennessey is not afraid of bears with 3779 pointsJohn Hennessey is not afraid of bears with 3779 pointsJohn Hennessey is not afraid of bears with 3779 pointsJohn Hennessey is not afraid of bears with 3779 pointsJohn Hennessey is not afraid of bears with 3779 pointsJohn Hennessey is not afraid of bears with 3779 pointsJohn Hennessey is not afraid of bears with 3779 pointsJohn Hennessey is not afraid of bears with 3779 points

thats cool. i understand what you are saying. hopefully we will attend a few of these events in 2006. i think we can improve on the 210 mph too. :thumb:

Old November 14th, 2005, 03:00 PM   #16

Jr,
Since you have the most experience in this type of arena, could you give me an estimate of how fast a 170mph 1/4 mile car would be going at the end of the mile. I was thinking somewhere around 230 or so.

Old November 14th, 2005, 03:53 PM   #17

Once you get the roll cage and all the safety in one of your cars you'll see if the 210 can be eclipsed

It would be cool watching and competing with you at one of the above named events.

I heard there's not much run off in Texas?

The Airforce base (Car and Driver) looked to be ideal with alot of run off?

At the Sandhills a record is waiting to be beat. What's your thoughts about going over 210 there?

Old November 15th, 2005, 08:45 AM   #18

Jeez thats BLISTERING QUICK! 170 in the 1/4?? Not sure how much over 200 you'll be but I would guess even w/a shitty run 210 @ minimum!

Finally got some of you guys coming out of the woodwork! Hope to see some of you guys @ Maxton, NC next spring, 1st weekend of April. Seems like a few of you are west coast though....

Old November 15th, 2005, 03:45 PM   #19
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARY J
Jr,
Since you have the most experience in this type of arena, could you give me an estimate of how fast a 170mph 1/4 mile car would be going at the end of the mile. I was thinking somewhere around 230 or so.
well if you got a car that does 170 mph in the 1/4 on a street tire on 32 psi then you can figure on adding another 60+ mph on top of that depending on the aero of the car.

Old November 15th, 2005, 03:55 PM   #20
Supporting Vendor

we ran a total street viper witout even a rollbar to 210 mph on a 85 deg. day with a 10-15 mph head wind. the car made 1050 rw hp. same day and same track the best a stock viper could run was 159 mph.

shoot jr. all you got to do to beat that with your race car is to put the 6speed back in and go do it. you got the cage and all the race stuff. all you 8-second guys should be able to blow 210 completely out of the water. a race car with some real power should do 230+ mph in the mile.

but then again you got to hold it all together for 20+ seconds of WOT and not just 8 seconds.

texas mile has about 5000 ft of shutdown - more than enough for any sports car. the bike that ran 250 mph in the mile was able to shut down fine there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » The Track

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in