Another track tire question.. - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » The Track
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

The Track Talk Tech with Performance Junkies or talk about taking it to the track. "Kill Stories" posted here.

Another track tire question..

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old June 11th, 2015, 05:19 AM   #1
Enthusiast

GymDoc made Varsity with 771 pointsGymDoc made Varsity with 771 pointsGymDoc made Varsity with 771 pointsGymDoc made Varsity with 771 pointsGymDoc made Varsity with 771 pointsGymDoc made Varsity with 771 pointsGymDoc made Varsity with 771 points

Been running R6's full time for about 6 years now.. Car sees 4k miles a year and plus a couple of track days. Looking to try something different and maybe better.. I've noticed there are a couple more choices available now for the stock 18/19 setup.

Anyone with experience with the Nitto NTO5R - they are drag tires - are they any good for tracking and daily drive??

Or the Nitto Invo's?

Or how about the Toyo Proxes R888?

Or the R7's?

And the Michelin Cups - are the sidewalls as pussy soft as the Super Sports?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 12th, 2015, 09:24 AM   #2

thetalonguy is The Man with 2247 pointsthetalonguy is The Man with 2247 pointsthetalonguy is The Man with 2247 pointsthetalonguy is The Man with 2247 pointsthetalonguy is The Man with 2247 pointsthetalonguy is The Man with 2247 pointsthetalonguy is The Man with 2247 pointsthetalonguy is The Man with 2247 pointsthetalonguy is The Man with 2247 pointsthetalonguy is The Man with 2247 pointsthetalonguy is The Man with 2247 points
I got the Toyo R888's a few months back and I tracked them for the first time this weekend. It was the first racing compound tire that I ever used, so I really have nothing to compare them to.

However, they were super sticky and grippy. I felt glued to the track the entire time. The only draw back is that I don't think they are going to last very long. Any more than a few track days a year and I think they'd need to be replaced fairly quickly. I don't think I'll get any more than two years out of these with tracking only a couple of times a year.

I believe they were about $1200 for the set, so it's not entirely bad to have to change them out every couple of years.

Old June 12th, 2015, 10:46 PM   #3
First Touch Was Too Much!

Back In Black is not afraid of bears with 5173 pointsBack In Black is not afraid of bears with 5173 pointsBack In Black is not afraid of bears with 5173 pointsBack In Black is not afraid of bears with 5173 pointsBack In Black is not afraid of bears with 5173 pointsBack In Black is not afraid of bears with 5173 pointsBack In Black is not afraid of bears with 5173 pointsBack In Black is not afraid of bears with 5173 pointsBack In Black is not afraid of bears with 5173 pointsBack In Black is not afraid of bears with 5173 pointsBack In Black is not afraid of bears with 5173 points
A DOT R compound tire better than an R7? I doubt it. If you've been running R6's I don't think you'll be happy with Cups.

Make sure to reverse the tires on the rims to extend their useful life. I tried to convince my buddy to do this with his R6's but he never did. As a result, he corded his fronts and there's still a lot of rubber left on the inside half of the tires. I'm trying to get him to dial in a little more negative camber in the front as well.

Last edited by Back In Black; June 12th, 2015 at 10:52 PM.

Old June 13th, 2015, 10:33 AM   #4

steelskeet is not afraid of bears with 3511 pointssteelskeet is not afraid of bears with 3511 pointssteelskeet is not afraid of bears with 3511 pointssteelskeet is not afraid of bears with 3511 pointssteelskeet is not afraid of bears with 3511 pointssteelskeet is not afraid of bears with 3511 pointssteelskeet is not afraid of bears with 3511 pointssteelskeet is not afraid of bears with 3511 pointssteelskeet is not afraid of bears with 3511 pointssteelskeet is not afraid of bears with 3511 pointssteelskeet is not afraid of bears with 3511 points
Anyone with experience with the Nitto NTO5R - they are drag tires - are they any good for tracking and daily drive??

NO! Do not use the NTO5R's for track day tires. I just bought a set for TI(Roll racing) and they hook great going straight. That's what they are designed for. Any turns at all and you feel like you have marshmallows for tires.

My 19" Invo's are fine for daily driving, but the R6's hook better but I only get 3K miles maybe. I have Proxes R888 on my 18" wheels and love them but I rarely run 18" wheels.

Last edited by steelskeet; June 13th, 2015 at 10:39 AM.

Old June 18th, 2015, 03:03 AM   #5
n00b

PYR_ is unremarkable with 10 points
I have a set of nitto invo's on my gen4 on the stock 18-19" configuration and they are great for daily driving but not very desirable for track days.

When I bought the car, I picked it up in San Antonio and drove back to Houston in torrential rain. The invo's did just fine, remarkable actually. They will definitely last a long time.

I tracked my viper for the first time, i'm not a novice driver, at TWS in May and discovered the tires have a pretty bad overheating problem if driven anywhere beyond 7/10. They just get hard to handle and do not inspire much confidence, especially when coming off the front straight at 160mph.

Last edited by PYR_; June 18th, 2015 at 07:31 AM.

Old June 18th, 2015, 12:27 PM   #6

kvip is not afraid of bears with 2684 pointskvip is not afraid of bears with 2684 pointskvip is not afraid of bears with 2684 pointskvip is not afraid of bears with 2684 pointskvip is not afraid of bears with 2684 pointskvip is not afraid of bears with 2684 pointskvip is not afraid of bears with 2684 pointskvip is not afraid of bears with 2684 pointskvip is not afraid of bears with 2684 pointskvip is not afraid of bears with 2684 pointskvip is not afraid of bears with 2684 points
Through most of the 2000's Speed Vision World Challenge racers had to run shaved Toyo R888's. I was surprised how good those tires were on a track. However they were factory shaved and I never ran them on the street. My guess is, the R888's (non shaved) are probably a little better track tire but probably not as nice on the street as the Envo's. I run Envo's on the street. I ran an old set of shaved R888's back to back with a set of old Hoosiers. The thing I noticed most was, the Hoosiers were more forgiving with sloppy wheel input where the R888's were sensitive on turn in but when the suspension set, the tires stuck almost as well as the Hoosiers. Now A6 Hoosiers are a different story altogether. R6's will last much longer but aren't as soft as A6's. I tried most of these combos years ago on a GTS race car.

Old June 18th, 2015, 01:05 PM   #7

Stuntman hangs with the Hiddens with 666 pointsStuntman hangs with the Hiddens with 666 pointsStuntman hangs with the Hiddens with 666 pointsStuntman hangs with the Hiddens with 666 pointsStuntman hangs with the Hiddens with 666 pointsStuntman hangs with the Hiddens with 666 points
R7 is ~as fast as the A6, which was a decent amount (couple seconds) faster than the R6.

Your R6 is over a second faster than the Michelin Cups & R888 which are seconds quicker than the Invos.

Stick with the R6 or go to R7. If your change of tire is due to street ability, go with Pilot Super Sports which aren't that far off the R888.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » The Track

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in