Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

Rear diff fluid

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  9yw559 
#1 ·
Folks, dumb question warning. I’m in process of changing out the rear differential fluid, however for the life of me I cannot get the fluid out using this hand pump. After failing to drain the diff I decided to top off the diff and try again later. However I couldnt even get fluid out of the stock bottle in the attempt to get it into the diff. I did confirm that the pump works as I tested it on a cup of water. WTF? Am I missing something obvious such as the viscosity of the gear oil is too much for this pump to move?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
There's a trick posted somewhere, you can take out one of the lower bolts, drill a hole, and that'll act as the drain. It was years ago I saw it, don't recall where. I don't know if there were downsides either.

#5 ·
Chuck that looks beautiful, and arguably how it should have been designed. Im not quite that brave yet.

Turns out I was able to get that pump to work, I just needed to experiment with the hose option and jam the right one in the fill hole to the right depth. Took a butt-ton of force to move that heavy oil but it went fast enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.