Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

No Start Help

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  99RT10&GTS 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I have a 98 Viper RT10. Hadn't started it in a few months and the battery died. Tried to jump start and wouldn't fully crank. Pulled the battery and took it to the auto parts store. They charged and tested my battery and came back good.

Stuck the battery back on the car and it turns over with plenty of power but won't fire. I've narrowed down that I'm not getting spark for some reason.

I tried using an OBDII to check for codes. The OBdII port powers the scanner but won't connect to the ECU. Scanner works on other cars but not my viper.

I've checked all of my fuses and noting appears bad. Tried resetting my alarm system. No luck

I think my issue is:

1) Bad cam or crank sensor
2) Bad ECU (maybe jump starting fried it)
3) Battery issue? However I had 12.7 volts at the battery and its turning over great. But maybe my battery is still not 100% from letting it die.

Does anyone know a reliable place to have an ECU tested? I'm fine mailing it out. I'm in Colorado

PS: I promise to post my resolution. I've read many many posts with a similar issue and no resolution

Thank you

See less See more
#2 ·
If you need to borrow a known good PCM, I can send one to you. I helped out another member with a 99, similar issue.

So when you hit the lock& unlock buttons, it works as it should?

Do you have a service manual? If not, would you like one?

#4 ·
99RT10&GTS thank you for being willing to loan me a working PCM!!! I'm going to try a little more troubleshooting and might take you up on this if I can't figure it out.

Lock and unlock work just like they should. I'm also hearing the fuel pump running when the key is on.

I have a service manual. It says to prob a wire on the coil pack plug which should power on an off if its getting a reading from the Crank and cam sensors. However, I wasn't able to get the plug off the coil pack due to its tight location and didn't want to break the plug.

But thats why I came back to being either the cam sensor, crank sensor, or PCM thats causing this issue. Unless my battery is the culprit. Only thing that makes me think its the PCM is my OBDII scanners not connecting.

They have a bunch of PCM repair services online and advertised on Ebay. However I'm a little nervous to send my PCM to an unknown source. I wasn't able to find anyone in Colorado.

I called the dealer but they won't test a PCM. They want the entire car.

#5 ·
Okay, I promised to update my post when I figured out what was wrong. I used an ebay service from the user name bmwsalepro (They are called ECU Exchange). They tested and repaired my ECU for a reasonable price. I don't have it back yet to confirm the car will start but my problem was in the PCM. I will update later once I get the car running. Here is what the ECU repair service said was wrong.

ok so your computer needed a lot of work, a few bad circuits. not sure if the wiring is ok, or if the vehicle was in an accident but there is a cause to the damage you need to double check the vehicle very well before installing the replacement computer.

also follow the VTSS relearn procedure we included in the box, the computer was in security mode. the procedure says use the drivers door lock but on the viper you can use the key at the hatch lock. (if you have any questions please ask we are here to help)

your sensor ground circuit was burnt, we were able to repair. this goes to all your engine sensors and back to the pcm as an internal ground. this should be checked for any shorts or open circuits.

the ASD circuit was burnt, that send power out to all the injectors, the fuel pump relay and more. this should be checked for any shorts or open circuits.

the power supply in your computer was also defective. the 5v circuit was burnt, this send 5v out to all the engine sensors. make sure this wire is not shorted to ground or open.

we replaced the power supply along with the capacitors and voltage regulators while we were in there.

we also beefed up a couple other ares known to fail while we were in there.

#7 ·
I think that Dan L often mentions that a major cause of PCM?ECU damage is jump starting a Viper. I wonder if what they describe as failed circuits is consistent with that, or related to that in trying to jump the car and having the leads reversed.