Want to shoot 4k videos at air shows - eyeing $400 Lumix FZ80 - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Garage » The Garage
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

The Garage A forum for non-Viper area for general car discussions.

Want to shoot 4k videos at air shows - eyeing $400 Lumix FZ80

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old June 14th, 2019, 01:27 PM   #1
Enthusiast

Squid is a B-Teamer with 90 points

I don't know why 4k camcorders are more expensive than cameras w/4k.

The Sony AX53 with the gimbal mounted optics really resonates with me because I have the Russian gyro stabilized binoculars and even with the gyros at rest, the gimbal mount is very effective and easily shames the Canon system. However $800 is out of my budget. I'm really looking at something like $300 for a discounted FZ80.

For flying aircraft, image stabilization is the most important thing - and an autofocus smart enough to lock on the airplane.

NOTE: The stabilization improvement in latest/bestest GoPro is impressive - so there is a wide spectrum of stab performance ranging from laughable to impressive.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 19th, 2019, 02:11 AM   #2
Enthusiast

Getting a LG G6 from Amazon: $129 -$50 for applying for the Amazon credit card.

Old June 19th, 2019, 09:51 AM   #3

Gen3Fan is not afraid of bears with 22801 pointsGen3Fan is not afraid of bears with 22801 pointsGen3Fan is not afraid of bears with 22801 pointsGen3Fan is not afraid of bears with 22801 pointsGen3Fan is not afraid of bears with 22801 pointsGen3Fan is not afraid of bears with 22801 pointsGen3Fan is not afraid of bears with 22801 pointsGen3Fan is not afraid of bears with 22801 pointsGen3Fan is not afraid of bears with 22801 pointsGen3Fan is not afraid of bears with 22801 pointsGen3Fan is not afraid of bears with 22801 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid View Post
Getting a LG G6 from Amazon: $129 -$50 for applying for the Amazon credit card.
Is that a phone?
If yes, and if filming planes in the air, you will long for optical zoom.
By the time you are done cropping to where you can actually see something, there won't be much of your 4k left.

Old June 19th, 2019, 10:27 AM   #4
Enthusiast

I'm acutely aware of that, decision is based on I really want need phone camera than my Galaxy 4.

I think what I really would like but don't want to spend the money is the Sony camcorders that have the gimbal mounted optics so that leaves me with the good value FZ80 that is a total compromise and a better phone which I truly "need."

Here is a decent clip of the LG G6 doing he Blue Angles
This is part of the reason I popped for the $125 - $50 L6 which is hella cheap.

EDIT: Have had the G6 for a day now and it is amazing how much more powerful than my Galaxy S4 (of course with Verizon requiring a VOLTE phone, my S4 is not supported - TALK ABOUT SERENDIPIDY!

The image stabilization is very good however, it appears when shooting 4k, the Imagine Stabilization option is grayed out.

It does have 2 fixed focal lengths if you will: Wide and Not-So-Wide (!) There is a significant difference between the two. (The phone appears to have 2 glass lenses so this may be optical and not digital which would be a BIG BONUS.

Anyhow, best $87 I ever spent in recent times.

EDIT.2: Another reason non-telephoto may not be so bad is that the canyon itself is spectacular and when watched on a 55-65" 4k TV which I view 6' away (as close as my recliner will let me!) it might look pretty good - hence the importance of 4k.

Last edited by Squid; June 23rd, 2019 at 02:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Garage » The Garage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

« Tesla 3 Delivery | - »