Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper (https://www.viperalley.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Garage (https://www.viperalley.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   First Z06 Test Numbers In (https://www.viperalley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=192802)

The Former PFR November 23rd, 2014 11:45 PM

First Z06 Test Numbers In

2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 First Test - Motor Trend All Pages

Tested Manual
Price: $105,210
Weight: 3533
0-60: 3.2
0-100: 7.2
Quarter: [email protected]
60-0: 91 feet
Skidpad: 1.16g
Figure 8: [email protected]
Road Atlanta 2.5 Mile: 1:30.17

"Considering the capability of the optional tires, brakes, and aerodynamics, we were surprised to hear that when Pobst pulled back into the pits after his fourth lap, it wasn't because he wanted to stop. The car had flashed an oil-temperature warning on the back straight."

2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Full Test – Review – Car and Driver

Tested Automatic
Price: $97,595
Weight: 3558
0-60: 3.0
5-60: 3.2
0-100: 6.8
0-160: 22.9
70-0: 128 feet
Skidpad: 1.19g

Tested Manual
0-60: 3.4
70-0: 139
Skidpad: 1.12g
No idea why the braking and skidpad were off. Engine apparently through a code too.

For Comparison, 2014 TA:
Price: $116,000 (I'd assume ~101,000 since the price drop?)
Weight: 3332
0-60: 3.3
60-0: 94 feet
skidpad: 1.10g
Figure 8: 22.9 @ 0.95g

Acceleration is about the same as the Viper with the manual and a bit faster with the auto. Tire grip appears to be otherworldly though. Viper definitely needs Trofeos if it isn't gonna get decimated (1.19g skidpad WTF?)

V10TT November 24th, 2014 06:32 AM

The mph sucks on the vette!

FLATOUT November 24th, 2014 06:38 AM

Yep traps are low for the Z06 that everyone said was going to destroy the Viper. Adding a couple 100 lbs will do that though. And it only made it 4 laps before shutting down. Sadly Dodge and GM are still trying to figure out this whole first impression thing lol.

plumcrazy November 24th, 2014 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLATOUT (Post 3031954)
Sadly Dodge and GM are still trying to figure out this whole first impression thing lol.

so fucken true !

Viper Explorer November 24th, 2014 07:23 AM

Quote:

Sadly Dodge and GM are still trying to figure out this whole first impression thing lol.

This!

The Former PFR November 24th, 2014 07:44 AM

I was listening to Carlos Lago's take last night (He has his own youtube where he talks about big deal cars for about an hour after he reviews them) and he said the car got slower and hotter every lap and then threw the oil temp warning on lap 4. That's not real promising. Temp was about 85 that day, so not crazy hot. I think the Hellcat can lap for 20 minutes before pulling power.

Viper Explorer November 24th, 2014 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Former PFR (Post 3032082)
I was listening to Carlos Lago's take last night (He has his own youtube where he talks about big deal cars for about an hour after he reviews them) and he said the car got slower and hotter every lap and then threw the oil temp warning on lap 4. That's not real promising. Temp was about 85 that day, so not crazy hot. I think the Hellcat can lap for 20 minutes before pulling power.

Yeah thats gonna suck and going to piss off a ton of people when they go to track unless GM sorts this out. I'm just not a fan of s/c on track, oddly the GT500 will get heat soak and pushing all that weight but will still remain fine w/o throwing codes and limping and oil issues like plenty of ZR1 guys had happen and that I've seen happen to two different ZR1 at the track. Does it come down to cooling/intercooling issues then?

Plus isn't this charger on the C7 basically maxed and spinning its brains out? I still say they should have left the ZO6 n/a, but sometimes I feel I'm the only one that thinks that lol.

The Former PFR November 24th, 2014 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viper Explorer (Post 3032370)
Yeah thats gonna suck and going to piss off a ton of people when they go to track unless GM sorts this out. I'm just not a fan of s/c on track, oddly the GT500 will get heat soak and pushing all that weight but will still remain fine w/o throwing codes and limping and oil issues like plenty of ZR1 guys had happen and that I've seen happen to two different ZR1 at the track. Does it come down to cooling/intercooling issues then?

Plus isn't this charger on the C7 basically maxed and spinning its brains out? I still say they should have left the ZO6 n/a, but sometimes I feel I'm the only one that thinks that lol.

Carlos said the original plan for the Z06 was a 427 or bigger LT1-based engine. However, they couldn't get it to pass emissions, so they started fresh with the supercharger. They also didn't originally start out trying to beat the ZR1. That came after the addition of the supercharger.

The factory blower is spinning quite fast already. I am sure people will spin them faster, but the life will go down a lot I bet. There is a ZR1 making 1075 RWHP on a stock blower ported by Greg Good, so we still might see 800 RWHP from this one, but I bet it lasts 5k miles at that speed.

Another interesting tidbit. Around milford, GM found that the 8 speed auto kept the engine, on average, 500 RPM higher than a pro driver with the 7 speed manual. So if you look at the difference in HP made by 500 RPM, it should give you a very good idea as to why the 8 speed auto is gonna be spectacular on the racetrack.

It seems GM doesn't do great with heat management on their cars.

slovenom November 24th, 2014 09:22 AM

This just confirms the viper is the baddest on the planet

Viper4Christ November 24th, 2014 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Former PFR (Post 3032442)
There is a ZR1 making 1075 RWHP on a stock blower ported by Greg Good...

[X] VERY Impressed

[ ] Impressed

[ ] Somewhat Impressed

Buddha November 24th, 2014 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Former PFR (Post 3032082)

I'm concerned about this . I do a lot of track days with my cars. So I hope GM fixes this problem..

The Former PFR November 24th, 2014 12:07 PM

Carlos also mentioned that GM looked at twin turbos, but could not locate the turbos where they would want them without significant chassis modifications. If they went to a hot V, they would have not passed pedestrian hood regs without a cowl hood. As sight lines are very important to them, they also passed on that.

John Galt November 24th, 2014 01:39 PM

67 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Viper Explorer (Post 3032370)

No, I'm with you.

Anyone remember the Acura NSX (not the new one that burnt to a crisp at the track)?
The stock fan was terrible and people would exchange for one of the Honda industrial ones to keep the car from overheating.

sonofadragracer November 24th, 2014 01:57 PM

Quote:

Adding a couple 100 lbs will do that though. And it only made it 4 laps before shutting down. Sadly Dodge and GM are still trying to figure out this whole first impression thing lol.

Agreed 100%.

I just don't get the add weight is ok, idea...drives me crazy!!!

:mad:

shooter_t1 November 24th, 2014 04:15 PM

Wow. Gonna be a lot of butt hurt Corvette fanbois.

phunk November 24th, 2014 04:17 PM

I was actually expecting 10s.

redlineviper November 24th, 2014 04:41 PM

On a side note the trap speeds of the FGT were around the same speed as the new Z. One crappy vid but it appears the new heavy hellcat may be able to run with the Z in a straight line until it's brick aerodynamics kick in.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R-ZKF1vQaw0

04mystic November 24th, 2014 06:14 PM

I got my ok to order mine last week. I have been busy and haven't been able to do it. Now I am thinking I may not want one. I expected more.

The Former PFR November 24th, 2014 08:49 PM

Watching more of Carlos' video... The car lost power in acceleration tests as well. Definitely seems prone to heat soak.

sundiego November 24th, 2014 09:03 PM

The heat soak issue was called by many on here before this. Supercharger is fine for a few straight line runs. N/A or turbo for the track. 40 years of track has proved that.

slowturbocar November 25th, 2014 05:34 AM

I was expecting high 10's for sure the way everyone talked about this car, not to surprised I guess considering the other C7 models are slow as shit. Oh well....

twinturboterror November 25th, 2014 09:23 AM

you can turn the boost up on this car. You cannot do that on a viper.

Corvette for the win for 9 out of 10 people!

If they do not supercharge the viper, i will be buying a vette. Super car territory means super car parts. the vette is still just a vette though!

boomer November 25th, 2014 09:27 AM

so a new hellcat challenger is faster than a Z06.....??

The Former PFR November 25th, 2014 09:40 AM

I am not sure how much upping the boost on that little blower is gonna help compared to the all motor mods on the Gen V (which return really great numbers). It may be a bit faster for one run, but the heat soak will only get worse.

redlineviper November 25th, 2014 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomer (Post 3036738)

At minimum it appears to be neck and neck. For a family car thet can seat my two kids and wife that's pretty awesome

redlineviper November 25th, 2014 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomer (Post 3036738)

At minimum it appears to be neck and neck. For a family car that can comfortably seat my two kids and wife that's pretty awesome

sundiego November 25th, 2014 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redlineviper (Post 3036930)
At minimum it appears to be neck and neck. For a family car thet can seat my two kids and wife that's pretty awesome

I'm glad to hear you are planning on racing with your kids in the back. :)

Reminds me of the mom at our kids' school who had got so drunk the night before, that when she was pulled over driving her kids to school the next morning, she blew over .08 and was charged with child endangerment.

txA&M08 November 25th, 2014 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sundiego (Post 3036962)
I'm glad to hear you are planning on racing with your kids in the back. :)

Reminds me of the mom at our kids' school who had got so drunk the night before, that when she was pulled over driving her kids to school the next morning, she blew over .08 and was charged with child endangerment.

You didn't actually take his statement to mean that, did you?

Red Snake November 25th, 2014 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinturboterror (Post 3036706)

Some of us can. :D

sundiego November 25th, 2014 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txA&M08 (Post 3036994)
You didn't actually take his statement to mean that, did you?

The smiley face means kidding, or laughing. Your internet fact of the day. :)

FLATOUT November 25th, 2014 11:00 AM

BS on turning up the boost, we will have multiple kits out in the near future, and in the short term boltons, tune, and spray on top of those forged internals will drag that Z06 ass.

And all of this of course is ONLY in the roll/drag race arena, looks like the heat might be an issue on the road course.

I think it's a great car (Z06) and people will figure it out no matter what the issue is, but all of the people claiming those out of this world numbers before one single car was ever tested are idiots.

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinturboterror (Post 3036706)

Corvette for the win for 9 out of 10 people!

If they do not supercharge the viper, i will be buying a vette. Super car territory means super car parts. the vette is still just a vette though!

AUSTIN November 25th, 2014 11:09 AM

Looks and sounds great in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS9nV-qtXro

The Former PFR November 25th, 2014 11:22 AM

I don't think I'd want to face a TA in any sort of longer race if I were driving a 918 or Z06. I betcha the Z06 beats the TA in one lap of glory (mostly due to tires), but in 6 laps?

sonofadragracer November 25th, 2014 12:16 PM

This is a perfect opportunity for the Gen V ACR to come out and kick some ass!!!

:dude3:

Viper Explorer November 25th, 2014 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Former PFR (Post 3037178)
I don't think I'd want to face a TA in any sort of longer race if I were driving a 918 or Z06. I betcha the Z06 beats the TA in one lap of glory (mostly due to tires), but in 6 laps?

All Dodge needs is better tires and bigger brakes, fix those two things and game over for all, honestly the Z06 could put up an insane time spanking the 918 for one lap (it's not, just saying lol) but who cares when the car is only good for a hero lap then falls flat on its face or self destructs, vs a car like the Viper or even a GT3 that can go lap after lap after lap all day long consistently with no worry.

GM had similar issues with the ZR1, looks like they don't know how to figure out cooling. Yet Ford and the pig fat GT500 and its Blower will suffer some heat stroke but that's it, kinda pathetic that GMs "track" car can't actually track without trouble.

trick November 25th, 2014 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Former PFR (Post 3037178)

agreed

FLATOUT November 25th, 2014 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonofadragracer (Post 3037378)
This is a perfect opportunity for the Gen V ACR to come out and kick some ass!!!

:dude3:

Very good point!

04mystic November 25th, 2014 06:46 PM

Dodge! Are you listening?

Snorman November 25th, 2014 08:26 PM

I think it's a little premature to state that the car is going to have cooling issues on-track until there is more info. First, those couple of cars were being ran all day by a number of people including a few pro drivers (Pobst and Pilgrim). Who knows if that car had just pitted in and went right back out, or if it was an anomaly with that car or whatever. Historically, GM hasn't had oil cooling issues with the ZR1, and with the dry sump, they have some flexibility to control oil temps. If it's a transmission cooling issue, that's another story. The A6 was not track ready, and would overheat after ~10-minutes. I brought this to light earlier this year, as AFAIK I was one of the first to try and track an A6 car. Subsequent to that, several others had similar problems. Now, LG makes a kit to upgrade the A6 cooling. GM addressed this in the Z06 by increasing the size of the transmission cooler and fan, utilizing a scoop to direct more air into the quarter panel mounted vents, and adding a second transmission cooler at the front of the car. If that doesn't solve it, then it will be an issue that will likely be addressed by LG via a larger and redesigned transmission pan and upgrading the "heat exchangers" used to cool the tranny.
It should be pretty clear the car fucking flies. :29-:30 laps at RA in a bone stock car is hauling the mail (I ran :39's in my '13 GT500 on R6's) and I don't give a shit what tires are on it. And this was the first time these two drivers had them out on-track...so they undoubtedly could go faster.
S.

redlineviper November 25th, 2014 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04mystic (Post 3038666)
Dodge! Are you listening?

I'm not sure that they are. I think all of their focus has been in the hellcats. If they did 10% as much for the viper and priced it right they could have two halo cars that really sell.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7-uVqDM05zc