Is there a knock sensor for the V10? - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Garage » Do It Yourself Tips and Tricks
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Do It Yourself Tips and Tricks For the DIY crowd.

Is there a knock sensor for the V10?

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Is there a knock sensor for the V10?
Old July 6th, 2008, 07:54 PM   #1
Enthusiast

PowerKraus is a B-Teamer with 50 points
Thumbs up Is there a knock sensor for the V10?

I know our GenII's do not have one. But has anyone installed an aftermarket unit? Maybe one from a Ford V10? Dunno, but there must be one out there since you can use it with the AEM unit. It would need a fair amount of sensitivity range to accommodate our odd fire / waste spark motors.

I will wire it into the VECII to record the signal and later tune out detonation. At some point I'll be able to determine how to retard timing with the VEC or 'another' black box. After all, the VEC is in a perfect position to modify the delivered timing, real time.

The knock sensor with the wideband hook-up Sean did for me would really bring piggy-back tuning almost full circle.

Any ideas or leads?

Thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 6th, 2008, 07:58 PM   #2
Enthusiast

westcoast is well liked with 220 pointswestcoast is well liked with 220 pointswestcoast is well liked with 220 points
Check with DC Performance, i believe that they have done a few and can point you in the right direction....they are located in Los Angeles, CA
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old July 6th, 2008, 08:20 PM   #3
Mercenary Mechanic

Monzsta is not afraid of bears with 17456 pointsMonzsta is not afraid of bears with 17456 pointsMonzsta is not afraid of bears with 17456 pointsMonzsta is not afraid of bears with 17456 pointsMonzsta is not afraid of bears with 17456 pointsMonzsta is not afraid of bears with 17456 pointsMonzsta is not afraid of bears with 17456 pointsMonzsta is not afraid of bears with 17456 pointsMonzsta is not afraid of bears with 17456 pointsMonzsta is not afraid of bears with 17456 pointsMonzsta is not afraid of bears with 17456 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerKraus View Post
I know our GenII's do not have one. But has anyone installed an aftermarket unit? Maybe one from a Ford V10? Dunno, but there must be one out there since you can use it with the AEM unit. It would need a fair amount of sensitivity range to accommodate our odd fire / waste spark motors.

I will wire it into the VECII to record the signal and later tune out detonation. At some point I'll be able to determine how to retard timing with the VEC or 'another' black box. After all, the VEC is in a perfect position to modify the delivered timing, real time.

The knock sensor with the wideband hook-up Sean did for me would really bring piggy-back tuning almost full circle.

Any ideas or leads?

Thanks !
Why would it need sensitivity? Detonation occurs at a known frequency. Once you know the frequency, the sensor is tuned for it and it only. odd fire and waste spark doesn't affect anything.

Of course it's a little beyond the relay thing, but have a read.

J&S Electronics SafeGuard Indivdual Cylinder Knock Control

Old July 11th, 2008, 03:03 PM   #4
Enthusiast

ViperBing is well liked with 160 pointsViperBing is well liked with 160 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerKraus View Post

Any ideas or leads?

Thanks !

If you find anything out, let me know!

Old July 14th, 2008, 12:16 AM   #5

xjrguy is not afraid of bears with 3220 pointsxjrguy is not afraid of bears with 3220 pointsxjrguy is not afraid of bears with 3220 pointsxjrguy is not afraid of bears with 3220 pointsxjrguy is not afraid of bears with 3220 pointsxjrguy is not afraid of bears with 3220 pointsxjrguy is not afraid of bears with 3220 pointsxjrguy is not afraid of bears with 3220 pointsxjrguy is not afraid of bears with 3220 pointsxjrguy is not afraid of bears with 3220 pointsxjrguy is not afraid of bears with 3220 points
This manufacturer doesn't specifically list Dodge or Viper, but their products look appropriate for the discussion.

J&S Electronics • SafeGuard

Nevermind, I just saw it was posted earlier.

Old July 14th, 2008, 03:36 PM   #6
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjrguy View Post
This manufacturer doesn't specifically list Dodge or Viper, but their products look appropriate for the discussion.

J&S Electronics SafeGuard

Nevermind, I just saw it was posted earlier.
Looks like a top notch product. But I do not need the sensor integrated into the PCM, and have 'it' retard my timing. I just want a simple knock sensor to detect spark knock during tuning, and I can adjust timing while tuning.

I did this all the time with my LSx motors and Grand National; worked great using the OEM knock sensor.

I am going to try another avenue and see what I turn up. Anyone know what knock sensor comes with an AEM set-up? Or does it not come with one? Maybe someone knows of a AEM user and would check with them?

till then, thanks !

Old July 14th, 2008, 04:09 PM   #7

plumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164534 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164534 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164534 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164534 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164534 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164534 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164534 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164534 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164534 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164534 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 164534 points
MSD has one i think

Old July 14th, 2008, 07:38 PM   #8
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumcrazy View Post
MSD has one i think
Thanks Plum....goodnight, I can't beleive I did not think of MSD. Their knock sensor has a sensitivity control and displays simple alerts. I'll give them a call and find out more specifics and then relay the info on this thread, as other members may what to know! Hopefully it will also work on a V-10.

Here is what MSD posts about the product:
Engine Knock Alert, PN 8964
Features: Visually and audibly alerts you of detonation. Great for well insulated vehicles. Adjustable sensitivity to match your engine.

Fair price, but too bad it is 'boxed' in a early 1980's style box and universal PC color of light tan.

I appreciate your response and have found many of your older posts a good point of reference relating to nitrous use in Vipers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Garage » Do It Yourself Tips and Tricks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in