ZZ's 3D Printing Thread - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Garage » Do It Yourself Tips and Tricks
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Do It Yourself Tips and Tricks For the DIY crowd.

ZZ's 3D Printing Thread

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

ZZ's 3D Printing Thread
Old May 7th, 2014, 11:26 PM   #1

ZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 points
ZZ's 3D Printing Thread

I ordered a 3D printer in December after doing extensive research on them. It took me forever to find one that had a balance of capability and practicality.

Ended up going with an Airwolf 3D HD. It had a 2 month lead time and it took even longer to get it so it didn't arrive until February.

Mostly bought it because I'm pretty good with 3D modeling from engineering school and working at CAT, so I can pretty much design and make anything I can dream up in my head which I thought would be a fun hobby. I'd be lying if I didn't instantly think of how I could use it for automotive use.

Right now I have been doing pretty much all my printing in ABS plastic because it has a high heat limit (read: good for automotive) and it's very strong. This printer has the capability to print in a multitude of plastics so I'm looking forward to experimenting with some others.

Anyways, had it for a couple months now and have learned a lot through trial and error. This stuff is still pretty new so you can't find much advice in the way of forums.

Here's the printer.

Printing a test piece the day I got it.

Here's some fun parts I have printed just messing around:

Vase for the wife:

Concept:

Actual Part:

3D Concept:

Real Part:

Printing a friend's diffuser parts (his design)

Here's a video of it printing the above piece:

20140319_235240_zpse3449f11.mp4 Video by ZZ70SS | Photobucket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 7th, 2014, 11:27 PM   #2

ZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 points
Next, started designing parts to use on my Viper project.

First simple bracket was a throttle bracket spacer to space the bracket above the fuel rail.

3D concept model:

Actual Part (forgot to take a close up):

Next, needed to make an adapter bracket for my 2-bar map sensor because the bolt spacing is different than the OEM unit which bolted straight to the manifold.

Stock setup:

Measured the OEM map sensor and made a similar design to bolt to the manifold using the OEM bolts. In the same bracket I made mounting provisions for the new design to be placed.

3D concept:

Actual part:

Finished part mounted and in use:
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old May 7th, 2014, 11:27 PM   #3

My next idea was to make a "gauge" for my meth kit I'm installing. It came with a small green LED dash light you were supposed to mount somewhere. When the meth pump turns on to spray, the LED lights up on the dash.

I have a dual gauge pod for my A-pillar. I ended up going with an AEM Fail Safe gauge that displays both AFR and Boost, so I really didn't need the second pod (may add fuel pressure at some point).

So, I decided I would make a gauge to fill the hole. To make it cool, I decided to design it with a Viper logo, buy another green LED, and mount them as the eye balls of the viper logo. This way when the meth pump turns on, the snake eyes will glow.

3D concept:

Back of the gauge (designed like a grommet).

I had to make it two pieces and join it in the middle.

Finished product:

Test mounting with the LED's:

Mounted in the car:

Old May 7th, 2014, 11:28 PM   #4

Here's the next mini-project I'm working on.

It's kinda been on the back burner because I'm trying to finish real work on the car to get it running this week.

The lid on the center console ash tray rattles everywhere I go and it drives me nuts. Obviously I don't smoke so it's useless to me.

I decided to replace it with something custom and useful.

Parts Printed:

Parts assembled:

Installed:

I have screws which will fasten the top lid on.

My end goal is to create useful attachments that fit into the hole I created.

Option 1: Cup Holder
Option 2: ???

Basically, I want to be able to leave the lid on when I go to car shows so it looks fancy, but when I'm on long cruises like Power Tour or others, I want to have a cup holder for convenience. I can pop out the lid and throw it in the glove box, and push in the cupholder in a matter of 30 seconds.

When I get a little free time, I'll be modeling up a cup holder and getting it printed out for testing.

Old May 7th, 2014, 11:43 PM   #5

The Former PFR is not afraid of bears with 28322 pointsThe Former PFR is not afraid of bears with 28322 pointsThe Former PFR is not afraid of bears with 28322 pointsThe Former PFR is not afraid of bears with 28322 pointsThe Former PFR is not afraid of bears with 28322 pointsThe Former PFR is not afraid of bears with 28322 pointsThe Former PFR is not afraid of bears with 28322 pointsThe Former PFR is not afraid of bears with 28322 pointsThe Former PFR is not afraid of bears with 28322 pointsThe Former PFR is not afraid of bears with 28322 pointsThe Former PFR is not afraid of bears with 28322 points
Awesome! I need to get one of those. Like you, I love CAD and would love to make stuff as I dream it up.

Old May 8th, 2014, 12:24 AM   #6

Gen3Fan is not afraid of bears with 23051 pointsGen3Fan is not afraid of bears with 23051 pointsGen3Fan is not afraid of bears with 23051 pointsGen3Fan is not afraid of bears with 23051 pointsGen3Fan is not afraid of bears with 23051 pointsGen3Fan is not afraid of bears with 23051 pointsGen3Fan is not afraid of bears with 23051 pointsGen3Fan is not afraid of bears with 23051 pointsGen3Fan is not afraid of bears with 23051 pointsGen3Fan is not afraid of bears with 23051 pointsGen3Fan is not afraid of bears with 23051 points
What negatives, if any, have you found about that machine?
How expensive is the ABS plastic?
Looks like you can see the "individual traces" fairly easily. Have you tried sanding and polishing with 3M plastic polish? Is printing a textured surface an option and if yes, how well does it work for hiding the "seams"
I heard a trick that sounds decent: print parts hollow and push in hot-melt glue to save printing time and still end up with fairly strong part.

Old May 17th, 2014, 07:05 PM   #7

Gen3Fan is not afraid of bears with 23051 pointsGen3Fan is not afraid of bears with 23051 pointsGen3Fan is not afraid of bears with 23051 pointsGen3Fan is not afraid of bears with 23051 pointsGen3Fan is not afraid of bears with 23051 pointsGen3Fan is not afraid of bears with 23051 pointsGen3Fan is not afraid of bears with 23051 pointsGen3Fan is not afraid of bears with 23051 pointsGen3Fan is not afraid of bears with 23051 pointsGen3Fan is not afraid of bears with 23051 pointsGen3Fan is not afraid of bears with 23051 points
Now here's something practical and delicious:

(Yes, I did notice the printer is 2D, but the object is still 3D Seems like the first part would burn before that last part ever hits the griddle. Must be low temp.)

Old May 20th, 2014, 12:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen3Fan View Post
What negatives, if any, have you found about that machine?
How expensive is the ABS plastic?
Looks like you can see the "individual traces" fairly easily. Have you tried sanding and polishing with 3M plastic polish? Is printing a textured surface an option and if yes, how well does it work for hiding the "seams"
I heard a trick that sounds decent: print parts hollow and push in hot-melt glue to save printing time and still end up with fairly strong part.
The ABS plastic is $30 for a 2 pound roll off of Amazon. That's a lot of material and lasts a fairly long amount of time.

I'm gonna start playing with some post-processing tricks to smooth out the parts. The most popular is to create a vapor bath of acetone (acetone melts ABS).

Basically, you heat up a jar of acetone on your hot printer bed, then hang your part into the jar with the top covered and the acetone vapor will slightly melt the outside layer and smooth it all out.

Old May 24th, 2014, 09:07 PM   #9
Suspended

8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 3476 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 3476 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 3476 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 3476 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 3476 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 3476 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 3476 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 3476 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 3476 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 3476 points8.0L>1.8T is not afraid of bears with 3476 points
Absolutely AMAZING bud

Old May 25th, 2014, 09:42 AM   #10

AaronFL made Varsity with 1336 pointsAaronFL made Varsity with 1336 pointsAaronFL made Varsity with 1336 pointsAaronFL made Varsity with 1336 pointsAaronFL made Varsity with 1336 pointsAaronFL made Varsity with 1336 pointsAaronFL made Varsity with 1336 pointsAaronFL made Varsity with 1336 pointsAaronFL made Varsity with 1336 pointsAaronFL made Varsity with 1336 points
Thanks for posting this. I am looking forward to see what else you come up with! These 3D printers are incredible. My father has a couple he messes around with. They sure have come a long way in the past five years. In my field of work (dentistry) they are using them to fabricate all sorts of things from restorations to surgical guides. It's going to be very interesting to see where the technology is at in 5 years. I might pick one up in the next couple years for use in my practice.

Old May 30th, 2014, 01:28 PM   #11
Landscaping Professional

GTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 58496 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 58496 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 58496 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 58496 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 58496 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 58496 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 58496 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 58496 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 58496 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 58496 pointsGTS Dean is not afraid of bears with 58496 points
I just saw this thread. Kudos to you for taking the plunge and letting your creative side fly!

Old May 30th, 2014, 02:32 PM   #12

Thanks Guys. I suppose I should add this to this thread.

Bracket to hold my fuel pressure regulator.

Old June 11th, 2014, 07:58 AM   #13
n00b

saxon.schmauderer is a B-Teamer with 71 points
Hey ZZ SRT, you have been doing a FANTASTIC job on all of these custom 3D printings. I am extremely impressed. You seem to know your way around CAD quite a bit. not to try to take over your thread, but I was wondering if you would be interested in trying a custom 3D print for the Gen III Viper. I know we all absolutely hate the look of the AC/Heat Vents. If I mail you the original parts, would you be able to take the dimensions and possibly make a vent that looks more similar to say a Gen V vent? I will be willing to pay for your time. If you are not interested I understand and will work on getting a3D printer and starting these. Here are some pics of the part. Thanks!!
-Saxon

[IMG]http: //i.imgur. com/IJztqla.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http: //imgur. com/XmV7LJ6[/IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Garage » Do It Yourself Tips and Tricks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in