iPod Integration - Gen 2 - Stock Alpine Head Unit - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Garage » Do It Yourself Tips and Tricks
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Do It Yourself Tips and Tricks For the DIY crowd.

iPod Integration - Gen 2 - Stock Alpine Head Unit

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old September 2nd, 2013, 08:01 PM   #1
Enthusiast

Luisv is definately a better person than you are with 374 pointsLuisv is definately a better person than you are with 374 pointsLuisv is definately a better person than you are with 374 pointsLuisv is definately a better person than you are with 374 points

So I've had the GTS for about 8 or 9 months at the time I did this. I've loved every minute. I've even put up with only having a CD player in there. I even burned a few CD's and deal with swapping them for drives... However...let's face it, it's 2013... I need an iPod connection!

I've done some searches here but for some reason most say that it could not be done. There is no aux input and no way to wire one in. FM modulators/transmitters are no good. It seemed like the onyl choice was a new head unit. I was not satisfied with that.

Did a bit of digging again and found a post about a hard wired FM Modulator for iPods. I figured I would try it.

What I got was a solution from iSimple. It is the IS77 which is a wired FM Modulator with an IPod connector and charging capability. By a "wired" FM Modulator it means that the device is hard wired into the antenna input of the radio. It basically gives you the best signal you can get. No need for an AUX port. Since the Alpine head unit uses a "standard" banana plug antenna, it is an easy install.

Here is what I did.

You have to get to the radio so the center bezel comes out. It snaps out (a number of write ups on this all over the place) easily. Then once you have that out, two screws get the radio out.

Once it is out three connectors come out. One is the antenna, one is the output and one is power cables. The main one you will need is the Antenna.

The device connects easily. Basically you need power to the unit and you connect the antenna through the device. In the case of the IS77 you have a couple of other connections to make but they are all setup for plug in connections. You have a power switch, the power connector to supply power to charge the iPod. Of course you also have the iPod connector itself.

The power is easy, if you want that. You can simply pull power for the cigarette lighter plug. However, I used accessory power or switched power. This way I never have a concern with the iPod draining the power if the cars remains undriven for a week or more. The power came from an "add-a-circuit" that is in fuse spot 6. I used it for the radar detector install I did. All my connections are always soldered and covered in heat shrink.

The wire was run from behind the drivers knee pad and up into the radio area. Very simple. Ground was form the cigarette lighter connector. Easiest location.

In the end I kept the stock head unit, did not mar the interior and got tunes in the process! All requirements I had!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 2nd, 2013, 08:04 PM   #2
Enthusiast

Luisv is definately a better person than you are with 374 pointsLuisv is definately a better person than you are with 374 pointsLuisv is definately a better person than you are with 374 pointsLuisv is definately a better person than you are with 374 points
Once the power is wired the rest is academic. You simply tidy up the wires and drop the unit in under the radio.

This is the unit used.

The unit tucked in under the radio bracket. If I had designed it, I would not have gotten a better fit! I place some high adhesion doubled faced tape on the device and tucked it in there. No rattles will ever be heard.

I then ran the wire back under the center console and out. When not used I just drop in behind the passenger seat.

The radio back in and tuned to 87.9 FM playing Steppenwolf's remixed "Magic Carpet Ride"!

Sound is excellent. The device works by cutting out the incoming FM signal and replacing it with the signal coming from the device. Essentially eliminating any kind of interference. The output is clean and crisp, no signal noise at all. Frankly, sounds as good as my 2010 Charger with the integrated iPod factory radio. The only catch is that you must use the iPod to control the playing music. However, it is a small price to pay for never having to swap CD's and looking for songs. The other benefit is that it charges the device as well so no need to have a second charger. It will charge all iPod/iPhone devices except the iPod Shuffle version.

In the end I kept the stock head unit, did not mar the interior and got tunes in the process! All requirements I had!

Old September 2nd, 2013, 11:33 PM   #3

jasontiff is not afraid of bears with 35097 pointsjasontiff is not afraid of bears with 35097 pointsjasontiff is not afraid of bears with 35097 pointsjasontiff is not afraid of bears with 35097 pointsjasontiff is not afraid of bears with 35097 pointsjasontiff is not afraid of bears with 35097 pointsjasontiff is not afraid of bears with 35097 pointsjasontiff is not afraid of bears with 35097 pointsjasontiff is not afraid of bears with 35097 pointsjasontiff is not afraid of bears with 35097 pointsjasontiff is not afraid of bears with 35097 points
Send a message via AIM to jasontiff Send a message via MSN to jasontiff
Great write-up and find. I would have done this in my previous cars in a heartbeat.

Old September 3rd, 2013, 09:31 PM   #4
Enthusiast

Jeebs is well liked with 212 pointsJeebs is well liked with 212 pointsJeebs is well liked with 212 points
Thanks for the great write up. I wish i would have know about this before i replaced my head unit.

Old September 3rd, 2013, 09:50 PM   #5

CottonMouth is not afraid of bears with 8719 pointsCottonMouth is not afraid of bears with 8719 pointsCottonMouth is not afraid of bears with 8719 pointsCottonMouth is not afraid of bears with 8719 pointsCottonMouth is not afraid of bears with 8719 pointsCottonMouth is not afraid of bears with 8719 pointsCottonMouth is not afraid of bears with 8719 pointsCottonMouth is not afraid of bears with 8719 pointsCottonMouth is not afraid of bears with 8719 pointsCottonMouth is not afraid of bears with 8719 pointsCottonMouth is not afraid of bears with 8719 points
Excellent! I was dreading having to replace the head unit just to hook up my MP3 player. You da man!

Old October 11th, 2013, 12:02 PM   #6
Enthusiast

Odynn is definately JV with 278 pointsOdynn is definately JV with 278 pointsOdynn is definately JV with 278 points
Very interesting - I'm gonna have to look to see if they have one with the new iPhone plug (not 30-pin) Thanks for doing the write up

Old April 6th, 2014, 10:17 AM   #7
Enthusiast

D rail is definately JV with 311 pointsD rail is definately JV with 311 pointsD rail is definately JV with 311 pointsD rail is definately JV with 311 points
I know this is an old thread but just wanted to say thanks for the write up op! Just installed and wired this up and it works amazing! I have used the transmitters in the past on other vehicles and they suck pretty bad this thing is as clear as can be and charges the ipod too which is a solid plus all while not cluttering up the dash.

Old April 8th, 2014, 08:01 AM   #8
Enthusiast

Awesome... glad it worked out as well.

Still using mine all the time. Works great!

Old April 9th, 2014, 11:10 AM   #9

ZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 points
Is the fuse spot 6 a "key-on" circuit then? Do you have a diagram of the fuse block that showed which are key-on and which are "all the time" power?

I'm going to add this but am also adding a wideband/boost gauge so it'd be nice to know I can add a circuit!

Old April 13th, 2014, 09:32 AM   #10
Enthusiast

Fuse 6 is definitely accessory (key-in/on) power. I used a diagram from the service manual to confirm. If you don't have a diagram, you can either figure it out by what each fuse covers (from inside the cover) or test the circuits for voltage without the key in the ignition. Anything without voltage you then double check for voltage with the key on. That's how I confirmed fuse 6 as well. Also make certain that adding the device won't blow the fuse in place with the added amperage draw and that the location is not a "critical" device for the car.

If you still need the call out for the fuses.... I'll post it here... Just let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Garage » Do It Yourself Tips and Tricks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in