Attempting to repaint the fascia myself - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Garage » Do It Yourself Tips and Tricks
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Do It Yourself Tips and Tricks For the DIY crowd.

Attempting to repaint the fascia myself

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old April 4th, 2013, 05:41 PM   #1

Darth Menace  with -258 pointsDarth Menace  with -258 pointsDarth Menace  with -258 points

Before you get too worried, let me tell you my back-story. I bought the charger in 2010, and about 3 hours into owning it I hit a deer and smoked the front bumper. I wasnt too smart, and opted to have an aftermarket fiberglass bumper installed instead. In the end it was a headache and alot of extra money to get it to fit, but all said and done it looks nice.

Now it's a few years later, and after 2 winters in a horrible province that doesn't maintain their highways at all, my bumper looks like snot. There are an uncountable number of stone chips (and even pin holes from being smacked so hard. Overall it looks BAD) from being stone and sandblasted. I put insurance on my viper and took insurance off my Charger while I am doing this little project. I have decided to attempt to paint the bumper myself,and if I fail at it all I am out is a bit of money and alot of effort. I like to learn to do thing myself and gain a skill and save money in the future. I am going to do a base-boat/clear-coat and see how I did.

Anyway, yesterday I took the bumper off and started to sand this bad boy with some 100 grit sandpaper to get some of the ruts gone. I dont think I am going to go too hard at getting the stone chips gone (this can be done after I am done priming and I will then further work on the dips that are still showing).

I have an auto body paint shop that really knows what they are talking about when it comes to what kind of paint to use and when, so I am not too concerned about that. What I am concerned about is the prepping process.

Right now the bumper is scuffed (all the clear off, with paint off in many areas. In the areas that the paint is gone, you can see the green gel-coat underneath).

First question-I scuffed with 100 grit, but what grit should I use prior to priming the fiberglass?

Second-Prior to priming the fiberglass, what should I was the fiberglass bumper with? (I read somewhere that diluted bleach works. I read is another place that simple hand-soap/water solution works) I dont want to buy a tonne of expensive chemicals if i don't have to, but at the same time I dont want to cut corners and end up having a crap outcome.

I am sure I will have some more prepping questions after I am done priming, but that is it for now so I don`t get too par ahead of myself. Any help would be great from those that have experience.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Garage » Do It Yourself Tips and Tricks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in