Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper - Conversation Between Mrama004 and gage

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Mrama004
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Conversation Between Mrama004 and gage
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 4 of 4
  1. gage
    September 8th, 2016 01:07 PM - permalink
    gage
    yup! My plan right now is to save my pennies and do a cooling overhaul, with new radiator, new fan, and I figure if I'm already that far in to do a new water pump also. It's likely that 20 years of service has gunked up the radiator inside and out to the point it's not heating very well. However now that the weather is no longer in the 90s, my temps are fine again...
  2. Mrama004
    September 7th, 2016 04:33 PM - permalink
    Mrama004
    mine is an 01. my problem started small (moderate to heavy acceleration where the temp would rise to the 220 line), started to progress to light to moderate acceleration, then completely overheated on the last time I drove it. After that happened I parked it and did not drive again until the water pump was changed out. All in all it took maybe ~ 10-15 short drives between starting to be an issue and completely failing.

its hard to say if your 97 could be affected by this. I was somewhat fortunate as this was a common problem with water pumps installed in 01/02 due to that manufacturing process change. So it was a pretty easy diagnosis for me in that I had prior knowledge in my corner.

I think you are right to keep your eye on it and cast a wider net when it comes to possible causes. best of luck!
  3. gage
    September 6th, 2016 10:56 PM - permalink
    gage
    No, I've just been driving the car and watching the temps. I drove the car 2+ hours in the middle of August and didn't have a problem, so I'm not sure if my problem is terribly severe. I might just be due for a new radiator or something (fluids flushed in 2015 with fresh green coolant)

My Viper is a 97. What year is yours?
  4. Mrama004
    September 3rd, 2016 06:13 PM - permalink
    Mrama004
    did you get your temp issue sorted out? mine was definitely due to the water pump impeller spinning on the shaft. when i looked at the old pump it was clear that the impeller shaft area was chewing itself to bits, causing no freedom in rotation. as well, I could hold the impeller in place while spinning the pulley with my other hand, clear failure. new water pump installed and all is back to normal.