Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

Anyone tow with their SRT?

5K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  overZealous1 
#1 ·
I would like to purchase an SRT Jeep or Magnum but it has to be able to tow a light boat (1500 lbs) with a light tongue weight. As far as I can tell, Dodge/Jeep does not recommend towing with the SRT's but I can't imagine I would have any issues pulling such a light package. Has anyone put a hitch on either of these and used it for towing and if so have there been any issues? What, if any modifications had to be made? It looks like the exhaust on the Jeep SRT8 could get it the way.

#2 ·
I've heard concerns about the trailer towing package VS twin dual exhaust tips mainly.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies. After more research on the Jeep and Dodge forums it looks like quite a few people are towing with these vehicles and according to some, the owner's manual actually lists a capacity of about 3800 lbs. The heavy duty hitches on the Jeep are either custom built or require some modification but the Curt hitch that Boost Almighty suggested looks perfect for my situation without any modification:thumbsup:

#7 ·
As for towing, you should be fine if you drive reasonable. The driveline is pretty stout, and the SRT package already has the heavy duty coolers for the engine and transmission. designed with holeshots and performance use in mind. I wouldn't worry towing up to 5,000 lbs. on occasion for short distances, again, driving reasonable.

#9 ·
Since you brought up this old thread I will provide an update. I bought an SRT Magnum over a year ago and have been using it to tow my flats boat ever since. I don't even know the boat is back there and haven't had any issues at all. I also have the fastest flats boat in Florida. It has been over 100 mph several times:)

#10 ·
why not invest some of those big dollars into a fucking truck to tow it? maybe i havn't traveled enough to know the rest of this country. buy a truck and you won't have to look like a dick at the boat launch. you only look good till a real bentley pulls up beside you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.