Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

Noob questions

1K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  WDW MKR 
#1 ·
So I found myself in a situation where it was raining and had the hard top and canvas windows in. Had the thin viper cover in the trunk and put it on after parking the car. After the downpour, I took the cover off and opened the doors to a dry cockpit. Only after I took off did rain water come pouring out by the passenger door area. Only when I gas it some gas did the water shift and come down. A good three or four cups full at least. Long story short, I pulled back the carpet to discover some sound/heat deadening material. Is this normal? And what can someone tell me about the water issues with the gen 1. I have a deformed seal at the opening of the hood. Maybe that's my trouble? Thx in advance

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The HVAC assembly has a water drain built in. It looks like a small hose with a crimp on the end, water comes into the HVAC and exits through that vent tube via water pressure. Yours maybe clogged or old enough the plastic tube doesn't want to open with the water pressure only.

Its only 3 or 4 screws to remove the HVAC plenum and inspect.

Good luck.

#3 ·
Drain was not clogged but the seal is not doing it's job. Can I order in a new one or make adjustments on this one? FYI:4 bolts and easy to access. Now what about the metal sheet in the floor boards? Did the prior owner make it cooler and less noisy? Car is much cooler than the other gen 1 I drove before buying this one. Thx again

Attachments

#8 ·
I agree, OE, but you should use a hose to test the drain. Most Gen Is will leak, maybe not as much as yours, but I found the water coming thru the front of the doors.

#7 ·
I think it's OE.

#11 ·
I did the same in my '02. Everywhere except roof and door panels. made a big difference in noise and also helped with heat.

#10 ·
I'm wondering if it's not OE because the other gen 1 I drove was hotter and louder than this one. My AC works like a charm in 90+ degree days. The side sills are cooler too. My all original 94 might not be so much original as I thought. Older individual owned the car since new and might have made it a little more comfortable for himself. The son, who I bought it from, had no paperwork as to anything done to the car. I did notice one entry in the Carfax to a muffler shop four years ago so they may have done a free flow cat or more. Exhaust seems original. Would love for a DFW viper guy to see my car and point out a few things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.