Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper - View Single Post - For those selling Vipers
View Single Post

Old July 19th, 2019, 09:02 AM   #2
Lunchbox

Lunchbox made Varsity with 1410 pointsLunchbox made Varsity with 1410 pointsLunchbox made Varsity with 1410 pointsLunchbox made Varsity with 1410 pointsLunchbox made Varsity with 1410 pointsLunchbox made Varsity with 1410 pointsLunchbox made Varsity with 1410 pointsLunchbox made Varsity with 1410 pointsLunchbox made Varsity with 1410 pointsLunchbox made Varsity with 1410 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOfStealth View Post
Hello, I'm a potential buyer of a Gen 1 Viper. I have combed the internet looking for that right Viper to call my own and I have come across dozens upon dozens of for sell ads. Let me tell you, there are tones of sellers that have no idea how to market and package their Vipers for sell to the potential buyers.

I want to list a few of my helpful tips below and maybe other will add to the list. Thanks guys

1) Get a decent camera or high end phone to take pictures. Fuzzy or out of focus pictures are terrible. Someone buying or bidding on your car from out of state has to rely on those pictures to make their decision.

2) Take tones of pictures. Yes, we know what a red 95' Viper looks like but we want to see pictures of your car that might be our car one day. Highlight the good and don't forget to mention and note the "needs attention" areas.

3) Don't take pictures of your car tucked away in a garage. Can't tell you how many ads Ive see with ten pictures of the drivers side and none from the side next to the wall. Might tell me your car is garage kept but also might tell me it doesn't start and you can't get it to your driveway.

4) Take pictures at a park or somewhere picturesque. I don't want to see it parked outside you house that has overgrown yard and siding that needs paint. Makes me think upkeep and maintenance on the car is nonexistent.

5) Check the current market for your car. I know Vipers are suppose to be the next big collector car but that has yet to happen. Listing your "driver" Gen 1 for trailer queen money is not going to get it sold. Be realistic, "your" Viper might be priceless to you but not everyone agrees. Also, auction prices can be misleading.

6) Those looking for a Viper to buy know the story behind the car. Every auto mag out there has had stories about these cars for decades. Don't spend 3/4 of your info page on how fast or great these cars are, we know and that's why we are looking to buy. Give us facts about YOUR car and all the great things about YOUR car that makes us want to buy YOUR car.
Honestly your entire post looks like you're trying to make buyers cater to you and 99% of the time individuals selling these cars DON'T give two shits about catering to you. They know what they have plain and simple and if you want it you're going to go see it in person.

Most of the people that take pictures tucked away in their garage are testing waters and don't really care if it actually sells, unless someone throws the right amount of money at them or begs them for more info or to see it in person. This has been my experience over the years buying and selling cars when i used to be a mechanic for a long while and being an enthusiast myself.

If you want the car, you need to seek it out. Yes its helpful to have pictures so you know if you're wasting time looking at a beater, but generally most vipers are well kept for the most part and you can tell based on just a few small pictures of its a total waste of time or not and also via the description and mileage and knowing what commonly wears out on them and at what mileage.

People arent going to come to you showing their car off begging you to buy it, its always been the other way around and always will be. You want the goods, you need to put in the work to find one and try to pry it from their hands for the right price.

Common things to look for that ive noticed:

Motor mounts (check if shifter is moving around excessively when accelerating or on/off throttle moderately)
Cooling system (check for leaks and temp gauge staying pegging off into the 220-230+ mark all the time even when its cool out)
Side sill warning stickers being totally torched/faded from heat (execisive on throttle all the time or cats are bad)
Brake caliper viper stickers bubbling and peeling ( sign of hard repeated use)

Also be aware of the vent /ac quirks on this car, you'll think stuff is broken, but its more often than not just fine and its the intended operation. AC does cut out under moderate acceleration (vaccum controlled flapper door)

There are many other things to look for and you could probably get a more granular list from some of the youtube viper buyers guide videos out there. Couple this with any common automotive knowledge
about commonly wearing parts and you'll be in good shape.

Last edited by Lunchbox; July 23rd, 2019 at 09:02 AM.