Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper - View Single Post - Charging issues
Thread: Charging issues
View Single Post

Charging issues
Old June 27th, 2019, 10:08 AM   #1
daaam

daaam is not afraid of bears with 5819 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5819 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5819 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5819 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5819 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5819 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5819 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5819 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5819 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5819 pointsdaaam is not afraid of bears with 5819 points
Charging issues

I have a 1996 RT/10.

I have a charging issue with my car. So I am very confused on what the problem can be with my car. After I got my Twin Turbo's installed (SCT tuning) I have been having issues with my alternator dropping charge as I drive. So for instance when its all the way cold and I start it, it will charge around 13.5 volts to 14 volts. But slowly it will keep creeping down further and further until its just charging over 12 volts. If I start the car up withing like and hour or two of running it the charging is just low and is around 12-13 volts and again will drop to very low 12's. I have replaced the alternator with a brand new old stock one as well as a 200 amp upgraded new alternator and all of the alternators do the same thing. I have replaced the battery twice, and now got the best Odyssey battery I can get. I have also just replaced the starter (now the starter clicks every now and then and I have to re-turn the key to fire the car up). I am at a loss on what to do or what the problem is. I just tried wiring up an external voltage regulator and it didn't work (maybe I wired it wrong but I followed the directions).

I read that the voltage regulator may be inside the alternator but I also read that the ECU can possibly affect the voltage as well. I have to double check but I feel like I remember seeing the service manual mentioning a battery temperature sensor but everywhere I look it doesn't list that for my car to buy.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott