Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper - View Single Post - Gen 2 Viper Fuel Tank Replacement
View Single Post

Old June 24th, 2016, 09:37 AM   #18
Luisv
Enthusiast

Luisv is definately a better person than you are with 374 pointsLuisv is definately a better person than you are with 374 pointsLuisv is definately a better person than you are with 374 pointsLuisv is definately a better person than you are with 374 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6666 View Post
So what is this date range of bad tanks?

And did you try hot air welding the tank? Which is the only true correct repair.
Only true repair... perhaps... if you want to repair vs replace. I'm not a big fan of patch fixing anything holding fuel. I tried the fix with the epoxy to stop the problem because it happened when I was on a road trip. In my opinion, the only true repair is a replacement tank. It's poly for a reason.... cheap to replace.

Having said that, no I did not try to weld the tank. But here's why.

The problem is where the leak is. The leak is in the seam formed by the filler neck and the tank. The problem is that neck is glued in and the neck is pushed/pressed in from inside the tank. The leak is a seepage leak coming out from the neck.

Where it sits, the neck is impossible to weld on. There is no way you are getting to the top side of the neck. Bottom line, you are pulling the tank. If I'm pulling the tank, I'm replacing it. Too much work involved to save the tank price. On a GTS. On an RT10... easier, but still work.

As for the years involved, as far as I have been able to find, you are talking late 2001 and 2002 cars. It seems there was a vendor change or the vendor used a different adhesive, nobody seems to know for sure. Not all the tanks fail, but the trend seems to be with those model years.

What would have been the best bet would have been to mold the neck into the tank when originally and this would never arise. It's a poly tank. If you can mold a threaded neck onto the top to accept the pump and sender, you can mold in a 2" neck.