Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper - View Single Post - Trouble getting driveshaft and shift knob off
View Single Post

Trouble getting driveshaft and shift knob off
Old November 27th, 2015, 04:28 PM   #1
thetalonguy

thetalonguy is The Man with 2247 pointsthetalonguy is The Man with 2247 pointsthetalonguy is The Man with 2247 pointsthetalonguy is The Man with 2247 pointsthetalonguy is The Man with 2247 pointsthetalonguy is The Man with 2247 pointsthetalonguy is The Man with 2247 pointsthetalonguy is The Man with 2247 pointsthetalonguy is The Man with 2247 pointsthetalonguy is The Man with 2247 pointsthetalonguy is The Man with 2247 points
Trouble getting driveshaft and shift knob off

I'm trying to drop my transmission to replace the slave and the clutch. For the life of me, I can't get the damn 4 bolts undone to remove the driveshaft. I was trying to use a 5/16" wrench, but the closed end wouldn't fit over the bolt as the wrench head was too thick. I tried the open end and it just started to strip.

So I ran to the store to buy another 5/16" wrench that had a thinner material head. No dice, the closed side fit, but it was just easily stripping. I tried on the other bolts that I hadn't touched and it began to strip them. It was all doused in BP Blaster, but it was weird because they began to strip almost immediately.

Not sure how to get them off otherwise. Sockets won't clear, so I don't think a bolt extractor is going to work. Any ideas? Am I missing some sort of special tool?

Also, having an issue getting the aftermarket shift knob off the car. I put a wrench on the slotted nut and it's not moving at all. Even tried vice grips and it still won't turn. There just seems to be the one slotted nut on the shaft. Definitely missing something here.

Not the way I had envisioned this project would start. Here are pics for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0114.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	116898   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0115.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	503.2 KB
ID:	116906  

Last edited by thetalonguy; November 27th, 2015 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Wrong pic was attached; didn't mean to publicly post my dingle berries.