Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper - View Single Post - ZZ's '97 GTS- Single Turbo Build
View Single Post

Old November 18th, 2015, 10:18 AM   #5
ZZ SRT

ZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 points
Next step was to see if the new turbo would fit in the position set by the hotside T6 flange.

Yes, one uncoated piece of mild steel was used on the merge. I suspect this was re-worked at some point. Can't explain but that's why one piece has surface rust

Here's where the wheels fell off this project plan. The new turbo didn't fit.

At this point I realized for my new goals, there were a few things that could be improved:

1) The hotside routing could be more efficient. It wraps down around the frame rails before re-directing towards the front. This is extra exhaust volume that is unneeded and will cause turbo lag which is the last thing I want for this build. The current setup used the later gen 2 tubular manifolds with V-bands welded on. It works fine and fits fine, but could be better.

2) The hotside tubing is pretty large, which would support 2000+ horsepower. Not needed for me or this build and once again is more exhaust volume, which causes lag and extra time/space for the exhaust to cool down before hitting the turbo. The bigger issue with the big hotside is the tightness it creates in some of the fitment areas. With a smaller 2.25" hotside, which is all I need for my goals, I could eliminate some tight areas and reduce lag.

3) With the turbo not fitting, this meant this was no longer a bolt-on kit. I would need to, at a minimum, make a new merge, along with new exhaust, partial intercooler piping, etc for the new turbo to fit properly and to my satisfaction.

At this point of the build, I still planned to use the intake piping and intercooler setup so I pressed forward with seeing if it would fit.

The intercooler is an air/water with a trunk mounted reservoir. Actually a pretty slick setup where it sits in the front corner of the bumper, in place of the original overflow bottle for the surge tank.

Overflow bottle removed.

Not pictured but I had to cut a hole from my front bumper structure for the intercooler to go through.

Intercooler fitted:

At the same time, I had to make sure where I had it come through the bumper structure would line up with the charge pipe.

Looking good.

Not the prettiest charge pipe, but actually pretty well done from scratch. If used I will coat it wrinkle black to match everything else.