Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper - View Single Post - ZZ's '97 GTS- Single Turbo Build
View Single Post

Old November 18th, 2015, 10:05 AM   #3
ZZ SRT

ZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 pointsZZ SRT is not afraid of bears with 7031 points
With this kit, plan was to "pretty it up", ie coat all the piping, re-wrap the headers and hotside, and run it as is.

The more I considered this, I realized the turbo was bigger than I needed for my goals/aspirations. When I bought this kit, I planned to build the engine this winter, and make big power, somewhere in the 1200-1300whp range. The turbo is fully capable of it and more and the original owner was making similar numbers on a stroker.

The more I sat around and thought, I came back to earth and realized by shooting for these power numbers, I would be doubling or tripling the cost of the build, all for power I really don't need and will rarely ever use. Sure it's fun to make big numbers, but I found even with a 700whp car, it's difficult to use on the street other than in rare situations or in Mexico a few times a year with buddies.

With my re-entry into the atmosphere and settling on a much lower power goal, I started looking into turbo options that would be a drop-in replacement, ie, a smaller T6 turbo that would spool quicker and be more fun on the street. I contacted Work Turbochargers in Alabama, gave them my goals, and had them give me some options. A few days later, I had a new turbo on my doorstep.

I went with a Borg Warner S430SX-4, 82mm Forged Milled Wheel, 96/88mm twin scroll turbine wheel, 1.32 A/R. This will provide me plenty of flow, and won't choke out until around 1200whp, which is more than enough headroom for me.

Comparison of new turbo to old:

I was planning to save some room by downsizing. Not really the case. It actually is larger side-to-side and front to back than the 106mm.