Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

Gen 2 fuel system for boosted applications

7K views 31 replies 19 participants last post by  qtix 
#1 ·
Per a recommendation I put a Gen 4 fuel module in my GTS a year ago. It has worked well with full pickup to low tank levels and in cornering but there is no option for a properly operating sending unit.

So, even though it was quite expensive, I'm going to replace it with something that has more features. Like the fuel level gauge option lol.

* Is what you are using... does it use the factory Gen 2 sending unit, unmodified?

* Is what you are using... how much of the fuel tank level will it deliver reliable and uninterpreted flow?

* Lastly, what are you using?

#3 ·
I don't have an "old basket."

Current inventory:

* Gen 3 *frankenmodule*

* Gen 4 *bankbreaker* module

As is typical with my mods, money is not the object here. Functionality of this is the priority.

#4 ·
I am using the RSI hanger with dual Walbro 400s and converting to a return system. Remains to be seen what fuel level it will tolerate but I think 1/4 tank will be about it.

Dave, I will have my modified stock basket with a single 400 for sale soon if that helps. KNG SNKE had expressed interest in it but he seems to have dropped off the face of the planet...

#5 ·
I am using the RSI hanger with dual Walbro 400s and converting to a return system.

Dave, I will have my modified stock basket with a single 400 for sale soon if that helps. KNG SNKE had expressed interest in it but he seems to have dropped off the face of the planet...
Does the RSI dual 400 have fuel pickup issues? Like less than 1/2 a tank or cornering etc?

Do you have a working fuel gauge setup with yours?

#9 ·
Im using RSI triple hanger.. with tripple walbro 255's... I tried to get the pumps at low as possible with the fuel bags on them... the car act up when the level is below a 1/4 tank.

GOOD LUCK!!! dont forget to monitor fuel pressure!!

I love walbro 255's... they are brutes and only 75$ to replace !!!!

#10 ·
Stock basket running the stock pump 99% of the time. During boost, the Walbro (that is mounted in the basket next to the stock one) comes on and feeds its pressure right into the side of the stock FPR in the basket via a threaded barbed fittting. Excess fuel/pressure is simply dumped via the stock FPR back into the basket. -AN6 line from the stock outlet of the basket to the fuel rails. Uses a slick 5/16 OEM to -AN connector on the top of the basket. A boost activated switch used on my W/M system controls the 2nd pump and my trans gear pump (that only comes on during boost as well).

#12 ·
Yeah, same story here as everyone else.

RSI basket, have fuel issues at about 1/4 of a tank. Or so I think, since I just fixed my sending unit to actually work correctly lol.

#13 ·
I'd rather have a fuel system that only gives me 3/4 of a useful tank, than one that gives me all the tank but no indication of when you're running out. Which I have once. Fortunately at a gas station if you can imagine that luck lol.

#18 ·
With our CNC hangers you can run 1-3 Walbro 450s and adjust the pre-filter pickups to the bottom of the tank. The OEM level sensor works with our hangers all the way to empty. These are proven systems that have been working for years. We recommend that you do not go into boost under 1/4 tank. There are no baffles in the Viper tank that will stop the fuel sloshing and creating air pockets once the tank level gets low.
There is a ton of speculation by various vendors about the use of buckets and baffles in the Viper tank. We could simply add a sheet metal bucket, but have not done so with good reason.

#19 ·
I'm with everyone else, minus I built my hanger for 10 bucks and the height is adjustable. I run 3 Walbro 400's. I've never had fueling issues, but I don't make a habit of AutoXing or racing on less than 1/4 tank.

I think I can put my stock sending unit back together, and if I can, I'm going to go to something like this.

Aftermarket Industries SP1200 Surge Tank System

This will be your ultimate setup to retain stock fuel tank functionality while providing enough fuel for the Roe.

#20 ·
I used one of the RSI's triple pump hangars (one of their first ones back in 2008). OEM fuel level sender bolts to it and works just like stock. You just have to set the height of it to "calibrate" your gauge. Very simple concept and works great as long as you're mindful of the lower fuel levels in relation to the pickups.

#22 ·
I also have the RSI triple hanger with 2 Walbro 450's in it. I have yet to drop it back in the tank and have not driven at all with the setup so I don't know if I have any fueling issues at less than 1/4 of tank or not.

Does anyone have any recommendations for anything I should do to modify or make sure that my setup will not have any issues with the fuel level sending unit and / or low fuel level pickup issues?

Reactions: dave6666
#25 ·
It also looks like the floater arm for the level is inside the zip tie.
Might wanna rethink that one. :D

You can calibrate it by adjusting the height and angle of the arm before permanently installing.

#27 ·
I have the RSI hanger with dual walbro 450's and I have gone well below 1/4 tank just to see if I would have any issues and I have not. Mine was installed by RSI so I don't know if that would make a difference or not.

#28 ·
Dave6666, is your GTS an 00-02? They use a Gen 3 style setup that does not use a 2-stage pump. The fuel pump return is used to fill the basket. While the OE pumps have a small intake port to draw some from the basket, the primary draw is from the tank.

I also believe your tank (if 00-02) may have features in it to keep fuel around the pickup.

The early Gen 2 has a flat bottom tank I think - perfect for a fuel mat!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.