Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

What do you think my car will run in the 1/4 mile?

6K views 42 replies 23 participants last post by  trademarked 
#1 ·
I just bought it two weeks ago, I'm sorting out all the small maintenance items, and then it's time to do some 1/4 mile runs when we have a warm weekend. Should only be a couple weeks.

The car is:

'96 GTS
- Ported/polished heads, a mild job according to Eddie Martin (pretty sure the same heads are still on it)
- TD 1.7 Roller Rockers (haven't verified they are on there yet)
- Stock cam
- Belanger Headers
- Lightweight flywheel (haven't verified but it revs up fast, just doesn't drop fast)
- No cats (soon to be switched to random tech hi flows)
- Belanger cat back (soon to be switched to corsa)
- Smooth tubes with stock airbox, K&N filters
- Aftermarket ignition, but not sure what (unverified, but not sure ignition matters?)
- 3.55 gears (still need to verify they are still in the car)
- Stock tires

Assume a 60ft time thats reasonable for someone who's used to launching cars like this, but it's a pro driver, and assume pretty good shifts since I'm used to this transmission in my Z28 from years back. Normally I would think a 1.8, but I don't know what is normal for this car. 1.6, 1.7? The last car I ran was a stock C5 Z06 and I ran 12.4's over and over with no inconsistency, but i can't remember my 60ft times. This will be the first time in a faster car, but I think I can get the launch down with practice. 175lb driver, that's a mod ;)

I would really love to hear what you guys think I could do with street tires.

See less See more
#7 ·
Yeah it did, I think the porting was done in like 1997 though

12.6 at 120mph
I'd have to be pretty bad to be stuck in the 12's.

I don't think this can really be answered, I mean what if you're a terrible driver?

I'm gonna guess 14.5 @ 147
I tried to demonstrate in my post that I'm capable of good launches in rear wheel drive cars. The stock C5 z06 is a 12.4. car and i was able to run 12.4's consistently. The viper is a 12.2 car stock, so I'd imagine I could probably get it there after some practice. With the mods, I don't know where I'd be, so just assume I'm a good drive :)

They never run run as fast as you think/hope they will.

Clint
Maybe the first few launches..

#9 ·
Assume best case scenario, track is prepped well, professional driver..

I'm more curious about what the CAR is capable of, rather than me. A stock car runs a 12.2 I believe, and i would assume that's with an excellent driver and great conditions, so I'd like to assume the same for my car.

#15 ·
With street tires? That's incredible, your'e being serious? What was the 60ft and mph?

Driver, Driver, Driver

I saw a 9 sec Roe Viper that never left the 11s with the new owner.
I agree, a lot of people don't know how to get the traction down. I've spent a lot of my time drag racing and launching rwd cars. I've dozens and dozens of 1/4 mile passes in a variety of V8 manual transmission RWD cars, not to count the ones on the street..

What tires and how old are the motor/transmission mounts? Wheel hop will destroy your times.
That I do don't know. I don't see any major engine movements or feel any transmission movement.

I am guessing you should see 123-125 trap speed, all comes down to how much practice you have and your skill level. Have you dynoed it?
What ET do you think that trap speed would translate too? I haven't dynode it yet. The previous owner said that the owner before him had it dynoed at 507rwhp and ????tq.

You do realize this makes no sense?
I do, and I assume he does too.

#19 ·
My best time was an 11.96 @ 116 in a stock 97 RT. Short times are critical, get a 1.8 60' or better and you will get 11s. I got close when I did this:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtEnHDEXOb0[/ame]

Reactions: Red Snake
#28 ·
Bah! lol

If I can't get an 11.5 I'm gonna be pissed heh. If a stock car can run 12.0, and I have an extra 100hp/tq, shouldn't I be able to get into the low 11's?

And on a side note, can anyone tell me what the requirements are for ET's and safety equipment? It's been awhile since I've been to the dragstrip and I remember at certain ET's you'd need driveshaft loops, roll bars, etc..

#36 ·
If the car is really over 500whp you shouldn't have trouble getting into the mid 11's. I haven't had the chance to get my car to the track yet but I ran back to back 12.6's with my SRT Ram with just bolt-ons (well under 500whp) and I hit the scale that day at 5,165lbs!

#38 ·
#43 ·
My friend has an external mic for his go pro, and we'll use that next time, maybe put it in the car. I have another friend with a tv production quality drone/go pro combo and we're going to do some shots on an empty highway with the drone flying next to us and circling around us. Should be really cool..

#42 ·
Mid to low 11 based on hp and weight. If not it's the driver and u can fix that with practice. Nhra track rules may be of interest

A roll bar is mandatory in all cars (including T-Tops) running 11.00 to 11.49, in convertibles running 11.00 to 13.49, and in all dune buggy vehicles running 12.00 seconds and slower. The rollbar must conform to the diagrams referenced in the NHRA Rulebook.

A roll cage is mandatory in cars running 10.99 or quicker or any vehicle running 135 mph or faster (regardless of E.T.). In full-bodied cars, with unaltered firewall, floor and body (from the firewall rearward, wheeltubs permitted), running between 10.00 and 10.99, roll bar permitted in place of roll cage. In convertibles running 10.99 or quicker or exceeding 135 mph, roll cage mandatory. Cars runing between 7.50 and 9.99 must have chassis inspected every three (3) years by NHRA and have a serialized sticker affixed to the cage before participation. Plating of chassis prohibited for all cars manufactured after 1/1/2003. Rear-engine dragsters must conform to SFI Spec. 2.7A; vehicles running 8.49 to 7.50 and/or exceeding 180 mph must meet appropriate SFI Spec for body used. All others must conform to specs for body style used, as listed in General Regulations 4:11, 10:6 of the NHRA Rulebook.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.