So at this point I did some cleaning getting ready for the new tank. I started with the tray. The silver tray in the photo is just lying there. The tray is a heat shield and catch all for the tank. It’s just an aluminum insulated tray. Easy way to clean it is to take it out, clean the heavy grease off with some Kerosene. Once the heavy stuff is off, I hit it with a degreaser and then water.
I continue cleaning everything I can see. The exposed frame, the top of the differential and the top side of the wheel wells all got well cleaned. No residual dirt or grime in there now. I even cleaned off the lines to get them nice and clean. I left it looking as clean as it was when it left Conner Ave. Well, as close as a 12 year old car can get.
Next, I had to clean the edge of the opening. Where the closeout panel will eventually get adhered to. The cleaning of the edge is done with the angle grinder with a cookie on it to clean off the residue on the edge. With the edge clean, I can easily mark the edge for the holes.
At this stage, get the closeout panel again. Place it back over the hole, without the tank there, and then mark all the holes. Again, make sure you have in there where it goes. An extra set of hands helps. Then mark the holes. Remove the panel and set it aside again.
Drill the holes for the pop rivets. I used aluminum pop rivets. I drilled 3/16 holes for the pop rivets. I used 3/16” diameter pop rivets with large dome heads.
Now time to get the new tank back in.
Here is the new tank with the strap in place.
Below I have the tank positioned in place and I start attaching the lines again. With the strap there I can connect the vent lines. Note the lines go over the strap. You will not be able to get the strap in place after the lines are connected.
Each vent fitting in the next two shots. In this shot you can get a view of the cleaned edge and the drilled holes for the pop rivets.