Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper - View Single Post - Gen 2 Viper Fuel Tank Replacement
View Single Post

Old December 25th, 2014, 10:31 AM   #4
Luisv
Enthusiast

Luisv is definately a better person than you are with 374 pointsLuisv is definately a better person than you are with 374 pointsLuisv is definately a better person than you are with 374 pointsLuisv is definately a better person than you are with 374 points
OK... we're getting there. Now the service manual tells you to reach in and disconnect the ORVR Control Valve line. Fancy name for the big vent line. Below is a photo of the tank. The "ORVR Valve" is the large grey circular fitting on the right side (looking at the photo). The larger fitting is the line they want to have you remove. The smaller fitting on that same valve (pointing to the left in the photo) is the line we removed with the funky pliers. The larger fitting is kind of tough with the tank in place with my bear claws. What I did was remove the line as the tank was coming out. Made it far easier. The lines "give" enough to allow this to be done.

Next trick... the Service Manual tells you to "reach in" and remove the two bolts. However, when I was looking I noticed that I could see the tops of the rear shocks. Well, if I can see them from the inside, I could look in from the outside. My friend that came to help me (after the cutting and panel removal was done) found this and noticed you could get to the bolt and nut (driver's side) from the wheel well. YATZEE! It is SIGNIFICANTLY easier to get the strap bolts off this way. Photos below show the locations of the stud (driver side) and bolt (passenger side) and then how I got them off (and back on) later.

This is the passenger side bolt location. On this side the nut is welded in. The blue arrow is the bolt. Notice how it is on the same bracket that the shock bolts into.

The driver side is a stud welded in place. Also on the same bracket that holds the shock.

I showed you these with the tank out of the way (obviously) to show your the locations.

To continue the removal, I got both the nut and bolt off to get the strap completely loose. This allows the tank to be moved completely. To get them easily, simply lift the car a touch. Enough to get the wheel to drop a bit in the well. This will let you get the wrench in there.

At this point the tank is loose. To get it out you simply slide and turn it as needed to get the large fitting on top off. Once that is off, pull the tank out straight towards the back. You may have to pull up on the deck a touch to get it to clear the actual fittings (two grey assemblies on top) and it will come out. Lift it up and out of the car.

With the tank out... this is what you see!

Left behind are the vent lines. The larger is the one with the yellow plastic locks.

This is the smaller line at the fitting. I removed this one with the funky pliers.

This last one is connected to the tank on the smallest assembly on the tank. Smaller grey cap on the driver side of the tank. On the left side of the tank photo I showed above.