Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

Trans upgrade for my big 6-speed girl

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  HemiSam 
#1 ·
Would appreciate input on trans upgrade for my 2009 Challenger. Car's a heffer but I love her. 4400lbs I figure after the mods including a 10 pt cage. TT's putting down North of 1100rwhp at 19-20 psi. Ate the clutch (SPEC) or the trans (TR6060 upgraded by Hanlon out of PA) on less than max boost pass at the Texas Mile last weekend, but at least I got my 200mph+ pass in first.

Not a lot of info on smart manual transmission upgrades on the LX/LC forums so thought I'd reach out here.

HemiSam

#3 ·
I did some reading on a high end transmission on a thread here. I believe it ran $17-24K depending on whether electronics were included for no lift shifting. That's a bit rich for my blood at this point.

Is the triple carbon clutch full on race clutch? I'm interested in drivability. The car is not my daily driver but I do like to be able to take it out on nice days and have some fun on wastegate springs (600-700rwhp that comes on fairly linear compared to the PD blower I was running before.

Let me know if there's a site or somewhere I should go to get educated on what options you offer.

Thanks.

HemiSam

#7 ·
Are you looking for a T-56? I have a Liberty clutchless T-56 for sale:

:thumbs2:
Thanks. I run a TR6060 so not sure about this. How many miles does it have on it and what gear ratios?

Just a word of caution... 1100+ horsepower will probably be hard on parts. It's going to be "a bit rich" on anyone's blood. :D

And which level SPEC twin disk did you have? I only ask because that's what I would've recommended based on what you're wanting to do with the car.

Sounds like an animal. Congrats on 200mph.
When I had the blower and made 670rwhp on race tune (800+ with spray) I was using the SS trim with success. Loved that clutch. I tried the ST trim (full face metallic) when I went TT and it didn't end well after a short while. Stepped down to a P trim which met the torque rating but I think I ate that one at the Mile (either that or the trans...haven't peeled it open yet).

I don't mind spending money....I've got a lot in the Challenger. Started with suspension (pedders), proper brakes (StopTech), beefed up the TR6060, a lot of cooling and power adder stuff, 10-pt, chute...blah blah blah. Just don't like giving it away :D

HemiSam

#6 ·
HemiSam said:
...That's a bit rich for my blood at this point.

Is the triple carbon clutch full on race clutch? I'm interested in drivability. The car is not my daily driver but I do like to be able to take it out on nice days...
Just a word of caution... 1100+ horsepower will probably be hard on parts. It's going to be "a bit rich" on anyone's blood. :D

And which level SPEC twin disk did you have? I only ask because that's what I would've recommended based on what you're wanting to do with the car.

Sounds like an animal. Congrats on 200mph.

#9 ·
I agree...at least partly. If I were a quarter mile guy, this is very much true. The only issue is that we use a Nag1 and the guys are having a lot of problems programming the TCM (trans controller) for higher shift points. A powerglide or the like would be the way to go. Sadly, I held the fastest stick car quarter mile record for almost a year and that's not my thing and, frankly, it wasn't all that impressive. Haven't tried with the TT's yet.

The rub is I'm a miler...that's what gets my juices flowing. I need to take my rpm's up there...what the valvetrain, etc... will allow so, for example, my shift point will be 7K rpm 2-3. With our engines, that's up there (I know most are laughing their butts off but it's what we've got to work with). With the six speed, I don't have the TCM issue and I've got 5 gears to work with (6th is like hitting a wall at this point so 5th is my speed gear and I cross with a fair amount of head room...probably more than I should but not so much that I'm out of the torque band.

HemiSam

#10 ·
Good luck. Big project. I hope some of you mile guys will invest in a Hans device. It's not that expensive and could save your life. We required it of all cars going over 170 when I owned the drag strip. That's typically in a car weighing 1500lbs lighter than these mile cars.

#14 ·
Pictures of the SPEC P-trim clutch rated to 1395 torque. I seated this clutch for 200-300 miles gently with city and highway driving. Then I ran it at the Texas Mile half a dozen times. I'd roll out in second gear, and then get into it. Only was able to make one full out WOT run on moderate boost due to a tuning issue. Once we worked it out, the car ran well one pass. I think the clutch doesn't look as well as it should given the light use. Don't like the lack of full contact by the discs shown in these pics.

HemiSam

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.