Cheap Chinese Junk Nav Install - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen III & IV SRT
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Chat · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen III & IV SRT For discussions about the SRT, SRT Coupe, and ACR models.

Cheap Chinese Junk Nav Install

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old October 31st, 2011, 08:57 PM   #1

351carlo is not afraid of bears with 2822 points351carlo is not afraid of bears with 2822 points351carlo is not afraid of bears with 2822 points351carlo is not afraid of bears with 2822 points351carlo is not afraid of bears with 2822 points351carlo is not afraid of bears with 2822 points351carlo is not afraid of bears with 2822 points351carlo is not afraid of bears with 2822 points351carlo is not afraid of bears with 2822 points351carlo is not afraid of bears with 2822 points351carlo is not afraid of bears with 2822 points

As promised, here's the review on the "Koolertron" Stock sized replacement All-in-one Navigation/Multimedia center.

At $400+ Shipping it was a high risk high reward situation I had to try. I ordered on a Thursday and had it on Monday, quick shipping. Initial impressions from the box were, "Oh shoot, it's a junk white box no brand Chinese POS."

Luckily I opened the box up and was pleasantly surprised with the actual faceplate design (I'll show these installed later). The back end was another reminder that it was a cheap knockoff though.

And of course a ton of extra stuff, including the cables for camera inputs and amp outputs, the microSD card with NAV software, remote, stylus and the adapter harness (Pay attention to the section on this later)

The stereo did not line up with the guide pins, the top of the radio interfered with the opening. In order to clear the opening, the plastic support needs to be trimmed by approximately 3/16". This took all of 3 minutes with my Fein Multi-tool and the all purpose cutter.

You can hardly tell, but the square opening for the stereo has been trimmed on top.

The stereo now fits fine.

Connects to my Droid-X via bluetooth, makes calls (External MIC is required, and is supplied. Built in MIC does not work with this), and seamlessly plays the audio from my phone over bluetooth. The iPod hookup works, although it does not charge the iPod and is the cheaper serial style hookup. I haven't yet figured out how to access my phonebook, or if it's even possible. The DVD player requires the parking brake cable be grounded out; the easiest route is to solder the parking brake cable to the adapter harnesses ground connections, keeping everything plug and play and simple.

Major problems: GPS does not find the receiver. It appears the Chinese forgot to put the port and baud rate settings in the sys.txt file. This takes all of 10 minutes to modify, but is a pain and luckily I'm a half decent geek. I can provide the steps for others if people need this.

Voila GPS works:

Major Problem #2: No bass from the sub. None. Sounds awful. Figured out that Chrysler used a +--+ Wiring convention for both the front and rear speakers, meaning their stock radio outputs sandwiched the negative terminals for left and right speakers between the positive terminals. When China made their adapter harness they simply used traditional convention of +-+- and this causes one side of the car to be out of phase. Since the sub feeds off both rear channels, the in and out of phase sides caused the sound to cancel out at the sub. This requires 4 wires to be resoldered or crimped. Reinstalled the harness and the stereo actually sounds great now. Quite impressed with the quality considering how cheap the setup is.

Well now here's a night shot-

A random menu in the iGO Primo software (Which contrary to other commentary is a great piece of software and very user friendly, as well as highly customizable and sophisticated, huge support and the Pioneer AVIC line uses an older version of this software):

I really think this was a great bargain buy with a ton of options at a cheap price. No it is not the quality of an OEM headunit, but for a factory fit and finish there is no greater economical value with the extra options this comes with.

And most importantly, my 3 month old nephew approved.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 31st, 2011, 10:06 PM   #2

sdaddy is not afraid of bears with 19645 pointssdaddy is not afraid of bears with 19645 pointssdaddy is not afraid of bears with 19645 pointssdaddy is not afraid of bears with 19645 pointssdaddy is not afraid of bears with 19645 pointssdaddy is not afraid of bears with 19645 pointssdaddy is not afraid of bears with 19645 pointssdaddy is not afraid of bears with 19645 pointssdaddy is not afraid of bears with 19645 pointssdaddy is not afraid of bears with 19645 pointssdaddy is not afraid of bears with 19645 points
Nice writeup. It sounds like those without you skills to correct things would have felt they had been fucked over on the purchase.

Old October 31st, 2011, 10:15 PM   #3

The Former PFR is not afraid of bears with 26031 pointsThe Former PFR is not afraid of bears with 26031 pointsThe Former PFR is not afraid of bears with 26031 pointsThe Former PFR is not afraid of bears with 26031 pointsThe Former PFR is not afraid of bears with 26031 pointsThe Former PFR is not afraid of bears with 26031 pointsThe Former PFR is not afraid of bears with 26031 pointsThe Former PFR is not afraid of bears with 26031 pointsThe Former PFR is not afraid of bears with 26031 pointsThe Former PFR is not afraid of bears with 26031 pointsThe Former PFR is not afraid of bears with 26031 points
Yeah, for 99% of people, that headunit would have been a huge disappointment. Looks good though.

Last edited by The Former PFR; October 31st, 2011 at 10:56 PM.

Old November 1st, 2011, 06:41 AM   #4

351carlo is not afraid of bears with 2822 points351carlo is not afraid of bears with 2822 points351carlo is not afraid of bears with 2822 points351carlo is not afraid of bears with 2822 points351carlo is not afraid of bears with 2822 points351carlo is not afraid of bears with 2822 points351carlo is not afraid of bears with 2822 points351carlo is not afraid of bears with 2822 points351carlo is not afraid of bears with 2822 points351carlo is not afraid of bears with 2822 points351carlo is not afraid of bears with 2822 points
Yea I guess the engineering degree and years of being a geek paid off.

Anyone in the midatlantic region who might want to install one, I'd be glad to give a hand. It really was just a PITA figuring out why certain things wouldn't work, making the fixes were pretty easy.

Old October 12th, 2012, 08:50 PM   #5
n00b

white04mamba is unremarkable with 10 points
i just bought one of these off sundaybuy and im having that same sub issue. mine is the version with the heat sink on the back, i looked at the wiring connections on the stereo and wired it as +--+ for the speakers but its still not working. the wires i changed are gray - gray/black and purple - purple/black is that right? do i need to hook up the blue woofer wire or does it get power through the deck and if i do where do i connect it?

Old October 16th, 2012, 10:48 PM   #6
n00b

samiam is a B-Teamer with 110 pointssamiam is a B-Teamer with 110 points
Great write up, really. Unrelated, but no short shifter???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen III & IV SRT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.