Too much window play causes improper door closure - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen III & IV SRT
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Chat · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen III & IV SRT For discussions about the SRT, SRT Coupe, and ACR models.

Too much window play causes improper door closure

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old January 27th, 2013, 02:23 PM   #1
n00b

kevin922 is unremarkable with 10 points

I have a 2006 viper convertible, the driver door has been having issues where if you don't close it just right the window ends up on the outside of the top of the convertible top - you have to roll the window down slightly then roll it back up. See attached picture for an explanation of what it looks like when it isn't properly closed. I took the panel off, and I don't think the window needs adjustment (up down etc) as it appears to be adjusted properly. The window just has too much play in and out, and when you're closing the door with any force the window is being pushed out too far if that makes any sense. I checked it against the passenger door and the passenger door does not have this play.

Any idea on how to stiffen up the window ? i've checked all the bolts with the panel off and they are all tight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	44738  
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 27th, 2013, 03:39 PM   #2
Enthusiast

Brian E is a B-Teamer with 123 pointsBrian E is a B-Teamer with 123 points
Try indexing the window.
Door closed. Roll down the window and hold switch for 5 seconds, roll up and do the same. Do this 3 times in a row.

Old January 27th, 2013, 04:44 PM   #3
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian E View Post
Try indexing the window.
Door closed. Roll down the window and hold switch for 5 seconds, roll up and do the same. Do this 3 times in a row.
No fixie. Also, could not find mention of this in the service manual. Is this a documented procedure somewhere?

Old January 28th, 2013, 12:38 AM   #4

latamud is not afraid of bears with 3006 pointslatamud is not afraid of bears with 3006 pointslatamud is not afraid of bears with 3006 pointslatamud is not afraid of bears with 3006 pointslatamud is not afraid of bears with 3006 pointslatamud is not afraid of bears with 3006 pointslatamud is not afraid of bears with 3006 pointslatamud is not afraid of bears with 3006 pointslatamud is not afraid of bears with 3006 pointslatamud is not afraid of bears with 3006 pointslatamud is not afraid of bears with 3006 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin922 View Post
No fixie. Also, could not find mention of this in the service manual. Is this a documented procedure somewhere?
When you index your window it's supposed to drop about 1/2" when you open the door to clear the top. When you close the door it's supposed to lift the extra 1/2" to seal againstr the top. If you continue to close the window against the top the front pin will slip out of the C clip and cause the front of your window to sag because it's not supported.

Try indexing your window again. Lower the window and with the window all the way down hold switch down for 5 seconds. Raise the window, with the window topped out, hold the switch in the up position for 5 seconds. It will click a few times as it is indexing.

I've read to do this only once or repeat 3 times. I just do it 3 times.

When you open the door, the glass should drop that 1/2" to clear the top.

Old January 28th, 2013, 05:16 AM   #5
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by latamud View Post
When you index your window it's supposed to drop about 1/2" when you open the door to clear the top. When you close the door it's supposed to lift the extra 1/2" to seal againstr the top. If you continue to close the window against the top the front pin will slip out of the C clip and cause the front of your window to sag because it's not supported.

Try indexing your window again. Lower the window and with the window all the way down hold switch down for 5 seconds. Raise the window, with the window topped out, hold the switch in the up position for 5 seconds. It will click a few times as it is indexing.

I've read to do this only once or repeat 3 times. I just do it 3 times.

When you open the door, the glass should drop that 1/2" to clear the top.

Okay, I"ll try this again - but just to be clear: if you slowly close the door there is no issue with the window touching the top. The window does roll down automatically when you open the door, and goes up automatically when you close the door. The issue is when you're closing the door with enough force to fully close the door the wind pushes against the window which pushes it outward which ends up changing the profile (i.e. makes it taller) and then does cause an issue. I'm not sure indexing is going to change anything much because you're indexing a closed door not one that is in mid closure with a window being pushed out. Does that make sense?

Old February 1st, 2013, 08:49 PM   #6
n00b

Quote:
Okay, I"ll try this again - but just to be clear: if you slowly close the door there is no issue with the window touching the top. The window does roll down automatically when you open the door, and goes up automatically when you close the door. The issue is when you're closing the door with enough force to fully close the door the wind pushes against the window which pushes it outward which ends up changing the profile (i.e. makes it taller) and then does cause an issue. I'm not sure indexing is going to change anything much because you're indexing a closed door not one that is in mid closure with a window being pushed out. Does that make sense?
Well the re-indexing did not seem to fix it. It looks as if the rubber "triangle" guide piece which is at the front of the door and the window slides up and down is too wide, which allows the window to move out and in when the door is open. Is that piece the one that is responsible for lateral movement of the window (i.e. "play") ? If so, is that piece replaceable? I have the service manual and can't seem to find if that is a seperate piece or not.

Old August 10th, 2013, 05:11 PM   #7
Enthusiast

Viper_IM is unremarkable with 10 points
what happened with this? Mine started to do the same thing. I'll try the indexing thing with the door closed

Old January 29th, 2014, 02:45 PM   #8
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper_IM View Post
what happened with this? Mine started to do the same thing. I'll try the indexing thing with the door closed

So i'm resurrecting this thread because i'm still having the same problem. The window indexing is not the issue, the issue is the glass of the window has too much play in and out and when you're closing the door with enough force to actually close the door, the window starts to "bow out" as the door is closing, causing it to hit. The window IS rolling down the prescribed index amount as it does move back up after the door is closed... the passenger door does not have this issue.

I've had the door totally apart, trying to find something that could be tightened or adjusted to fix this but can't seem to figure out what it would be. The window regular has also been replaced, the issue was occurring both before and after the regulator replacement.

Old January 30th, 2014, 11:22 AM   #9

mjorgensen is not afraid of bears with 2624 pointsmjorgensen is not afraid of bears with 2624 pointsmjorgensen is not afraid of bears with 2624 pointsmjorgensen is not afraid of bears with 2624 pointsmjorgensen is not afraid of bears with 2624 pointsmjorgensen is not afraid of bears with 2624 pointsmjorgensen is not afraid of bears with 2624 pointsmjorgensen is not afraid of bears with 2624 pointsmjorgensen is not afraid of bears with 2624 pointsmjorgensen is not afraid of bears with 2624 pointsmjorgensen is not afraid of bears with 2624 points
Quote:
So i'm resurrecting this thread because i'm still having the same problem. The window indexing is not the issue, the issue is the glass of the window has too much play in and out and when you're closing the door with enough force to actually close the door, the window starts to "bow out" as the door is closing, causing it to hit. The window IS rolling down the prescribed index amount as it does move back up after the door is closed... the passenger door does not have this issue.

I've had the door totally apart, trying to find something that could be tightened or adjusted to fix this but can't seem to figure out what it would be. The window regular has also been replaced, the issue was occurring both before and after the regulator replacement.

On the channel at the bottom of the glass there are bolts to loosen and then a Torx adjuster that can change the angle at the top of the windows. You probably need to adjust the window inward a little. This will help with the issue, but do not over do it and stress the glass to much.

Old January 30th, 2014, 05:16 PM   #10
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjorgensen View Post
On the channel at the bottom of the glass there are bolts to loosen and then a Torx adjuster that can change the angle at the top of the windows. You probably need to adjust the window inward a little. This will help with the issue, but do not over do it and stress the glass to much.
Wouldn't that mess things up for when it is resting? when the door is closed and the window is up everything seems to be aligned correctly. The window can physically be pushed in and out more than the passenger side window.

Old January 31st, 2014, 10:37 AM   #11

mjorgensen is not afraid of bears with 2624 pointsmjorgensen is not afraid of bears with 2624 pointsmjorgensen is not afraid of bears with 2624 pointsmjorgensen is not afraid of bears with 2624 pointsmjorgensen is not afraid of bears with 2624 pointsmjorgensen is not afraid of bears with 2624 pointsmjorgensen is not afraid of bears with 2624 pointsmjorgensen is not afraid of bears with 2624 pointsmjorgensen is not afraid of bears with 2624 pointsmjorgensen is not afraid of bears with 2624 pointsmjorgensen is not afraid of bears with 2624 points
Quote:
Wouldn't that mess things up for when it is resting? when the door is closed and the window is up everything seems to be aligned correctly. The window can physically be pushed in and out more than the passenger side window.
Take the panel off and check the track to glass connection and adjuster for anything out of whack. If there is that much play there could be something loose. Also if the window is adjusted inward and it has that much play it will probably not hurt to tilt in in a small amount till it closes properly.

Old March 6th, 2014, 11:37 PM   #12
Enthusiast

Cashoes is well liked with 213 pointsCashoes is well liked with 213 pointsCashoes is well liked with 213 points
Don't know if you can read it. Did this with my cell because I don't know how to do PDF.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen III & IV SRT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.