I'm looking at potentially picking up a Viper before spring, but living in Illinois the weather obviously makes this difficult. If I decide to get the car I think I can arrange a for a friend with an open trailer to come pick it up, but it really would just be more convenient for me to drive it home.
My question is, how bad of an idea would it be? The trip would be about 120 miles. My understanding is that road salt is really the biggest concern (other than snow/ice traction). If I did go ahead and drive it back I'd try and find a time where there hadn't been any precipitation for 5+ days so the roads would be clear and at least semi-salt free. I've got a power washer at home so the salt could be cleaned off before it went into storage. Any thoughts/opinions on this?
Also, I briefly started to look into car covers and didn't realize there would be so many options - is there a preferred brand/type that people like?
I like my california CC if I were you, just wait a little longer. otherwise you risk freak storm etc. and road debris from the winter can be just as bad as the front is just getting pelted with it. don't ruin it before you even get it home.
Well, I finally picked up my viper last weekend. I got a Blue/White 97 GTS. The weather couldn't really have been better as we got a bunch of rain the previous Thursday that washed all the salt off the road. The only real issue was the long 800 mile road trip back from Texas, and now I just get to look at it in my garage until spring finally comes.
Hammerchuk - being up in Canada, do you really get much time to drive that thing around?
The AutoGuide.com network consists of the largest network of enthusiast-owned enthusiast-operated automotive communities.
AutoGuide.com provides the latest car reviews, auto show coverage, new car prices, and automotive news. The AutoGuide network operates more than 100 automotive forums where our users consult peers for shopping information and advice, and share opinions as a community.