prospective buyer - is this normal? - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen III & IV SRT
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Chat · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen III & IV SRT For discussions about the SRT, SRT Coupe, and ACR models.

prospective buyer - is this normal?

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old January 8th, 2013, 01:06 PM   #1
Enthusiast

RTFwBG is unremarkable with 11 points

So, I'm semi-serious about purchasing a viper (got past the wife hurdle) and have been looking at an '06 coupe with 43k miles. I realize this is fairly high miles for a Viper, but with my budget and the mostly-shitty nature of the roads around our house I can not afford, not do I want one in pristine condition.

I pulled the carfax and it has spent the majority of it's life in Florida, however, there were some repairs that lead me to believe the car has had a fairly rough life, but was just curious as to if these seemed "normal" for a Viper with 40k+ miles

5k - power steering pump
28k - window regulator
38k - Flywheel/Flexplate
38k - Engine Mounts (this seems like something that shouldn't need replaced...)
38k - window regulator
38k - AC compressor
40k - clutch slave cylinder
40k - clutch master cylinder

I know exactly how much tires run for this car, and am OK with it, but are expensive repairs like the ones above fairly regular with these cars? I'd probably only be putting about 3k miles on the car per year.

Thanks!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 8th, 2013, 01:37 PM   #2

virginiavenom is not afraid of bears with 15611 pointsvirginiavenom is not afraid of bears with 15611 pointsvirginiavenom is not afraid of bears with 15611 pointsvirginiavenom is not afraid of bears with 15611 pointsvirginiavenom is not afraid of bears with 15611 pointsvirginiavenom is not afraid of bears with 15611 pointsvirginiavenom is not afraid of bears with 15611 pointsvirginiavenom is not afraid of bears with 15611 pointsvirginiavenom is not afraid of bears with 15611 pointsvirginiavenom is not afraid of bears with 15611 pointsvirginiavenom is not afraid of bears with 15611 points
flywheel/flexplate was probably done with a clutch, no surprise there, engine mounts I've not heard of, but not a gen III guy. window regulators aren't typically outlandishly retarded expensive. most likely it was an owner who just complained about them. AC compressor doesn't make sense, but could happen, just like a power steering pump. clutch master and slave are also not completely uncommon or that much to worry about. probably something again that the owner complained about. the biggest worry with a GEN III is the oiling problem you have to worry about. I'll let other GEN III owners who have dealt with it before and after it caused a problem speak about it. the question is how much do they want for this particular viper? higher mileage typically doesn't account for much as long as it's well cared for on a viper. they are extremely tough and reliable. mine is around 80k miles and a GEN II and it's one of the cleanest I've ever seen. but, you can use the mileage to your advantage as well as the service history as leverage with pricing negotiations.

Good luck on your search, and don't settle for the first "eh, it's ok" find the one you want.

Old January 8th, 2013, 01:50 PM   #3

Anarchy99 is not afraid of bears with 4165 pointsAnarchy99 is not afraid of bears with 4165 pointsAnarchy99 is not afraid of bears with 4165 pointsAnarchy99 is not afraid of bears with 4165 pointsAnarchy99 is not afraid of bears with 4165 pointsAnarchy99 is not afraid of bears with 4165 pointsAnarchy99 is not afraid of bears with 4165 pointsAnarchy99 is not afraid of bears with 4165 pointsAnarchy99 is not afraid of bears with 4165 pointsAnarchy99 is not afraid of bears with 4165 pointsAnarchy99 is not afraid of bears with 4165 points
Send a message via AIM to Anarchy99
^^ Damn! 80k miles... yours is clean I had no clue.

OP what is he asking for the car?

Old January 8th, 2013, 01:52 PM   #4
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchy99 View Post

OP what is he asking for the car?
Blue w/ White stripes - asking just under $44k

Old January 8th, 2013, 02:32 PM   #5

virginiavenom is not afraid of bears with 15611 pointsvirginiavenom is not afraid of bears with 15611 pointsvirginiavenom is not afraid of bears with 15611 pointsvirginiavenom is not afraid of bears with 15611 pointsvirginiavenom is not afraid of bears with 15611 pointsvirginiavenom is not afraid of bears with 15611 pointsvirginiavenom is not afraid of bears with 15611 pointsvirginiavenom is not afraid of bears with 15611 pointsvirginiavenom is not afraid of bears with 15611 pointsvirginiavenom is not afraid of bears with 15611 pointsvirginiavenom is not afraid of bears with 15611 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchy99 View Post
minus the dave farts, the car is pretty damn spotless. Plum was absolutely ANAL about that cars cleanliness, but he drove it and maintained it well. I'll put it to you this way.....the car was on a lift after I got it down here and the bottom was shiny and clean. mind you that's even AFTER a 1600 mile drive. he would put the car on a lift and clean everything by hand under the car.

Old January 8th, 2013, 02:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFwBG View Post
Blue w/ White stripes - asking just under $44k
talk him down to 40. than it's not bad. remind him that GEN IV prices are dropping as a result of the GEN V hitting the streets.

Old January 8th, 2013, 02:35 PM   #7

Anarchy99 is not afraid of bears with 4165 pointsAnarchy99 is not afraid of bears with 4165 pointsAnarchy99 is not afraid of bears with 4165 pointsAnarchy99 is not afraid of bears with 4165 pointsAnarchy99 is not afraid of bears with 4165 pointsAnarchy99 is not afraid of bears with 4165 pointsAnarchy99 is not afraid of bears with 4165 pointsAnarchy99 is not afraid of bears with 4165 pointsAnarchy99 is not afraid of bears with 4165 pointsAnarchy99 is not afraid of bears with 4165 pointsAnarchy99 is not afraid of bears with 4165 points
Send a message via AIM to Anarchy99
Yea I was thinking 40 for mileage myself.

Old January 8th, 2013, 03:21 PM   #8
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginiavenom View Post
talk him down to 40. than it's not bad. remind him that GEN IV prices are dropping as a result of the GEN V hitting the streets.
Yeah, I definitely am not willing to drop more than $40k, and even at that price point I'm iffy. I had originally been looking to replace my '08 Lancer, with another "reasonable" car, but there really isn't anything out there that interests me for a decent price. Thats when I started toying around with the idea of just keeping the Lancer and buying a 3rd car (if I had a Viper I'm sure I could deal with driving the Lancer for a few more years). I started looking last year for Gen2 with a budget of $30-35k. I had really wanted a 97 blue/white, which I finally did find, but the car was pristine w/ extremely low miles and they were asking $45k for it(and it did actually sell a few weeks ago) then gave up because I got discouraged about not being able to find anything and my wife was pregnant. I've got plenty in savings to go buy one, but with the wife still having 8 more weeks off work and then only going back part time the future finances aren't looking quite as stellar.

I've still got a voice in the back of my head telling me it's a bad idea to buy one and that 28 years old is premature for a mid-life crisis, but the other little voice keeps telling me how awesome it would be to fulfill my childhood dream of owning one and that I don't spend my money on anything else......

Old January 8th, 2013, 03:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Yeah, I definitely am not willing to drop more than $40k, and even at that price point I'm iffy. I had originally been looking to replace my '08 Lancer, with another "reasonable" car, but there really isn't anything out there that interests me for a decent price. Thats when I started toying around with the idea of just keeping the Lancer and buying a 3rd car (if I had a Viper I'm sure I could deal with driving the Lancer for a few more years). I started looking last year for Gen2 with a budget of $30-35k. I had really wanted a 97 blue/white, which I finally did find, but the car was pristine w/ extremely low miles and they were asking $45k for it(and it did actually sell a few weeks ago) then gave up because I got discouraged about not being able to find anything and my wife was pregnant. I've got plenty in savings to go buy one, but with the wife still having 8 more weeks off work and then only going back part time the future finances aren't looking quite as stellar.

I've still got a voice in the back of my head telling me it's a bad idea to buy one and that 28 years old is premature for a mid-life crisis, but the other little voice keeps telling me how awesome it would be to fulfill my childhood dream of owning one and that I don't spend my money on anything else......
26 here. don't use age as an excuse not to get what you want. get it, love it, care for it. but only the one you want. if you like it. jump on it. none of those repairs are things I would really worry about. but be sure you have the finances to cover it. if you do, than do it. the viper will give you enjoyment for years to come.....however, please tell me you have driven a car upwards of 350 hp to the ground before at a minimum. otherwise you could end up dead. vipers are very powerful if you haven't had experience with powerful cars before I wouldn't recommend it. if you do still want it without that experience be very careful with it until you have become accustomed to the mannerisms of this car and how to respect it. mustangs etc will allow you a certain margin of error. this car will not allow such things and will quickly remind you of why the viper quickly removes non-drivers from it's ownership ranks.

Old January 8th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #10

plumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 93993 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 93993 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 93993 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 93993 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 93993 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 93993 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 93993 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 93993 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 93993 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 93993 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 93993 points
Quote:
the car was on a lift after I got it down here and the bottom was shiny and clean. mind you that's even AFTER a 1600 mile drive. he would put the car on a lift and clean everything by hand under the car.
not true....i didnt clean the underside the last 2years. thats why i sold it..no time

Old January 8th, 2013, 03:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumcrazy View Post
not true....i didnt clean the underside the last 2years. thats why i sold it..no time
you didn't drive it much then either. cause it was SUPER clean.

Old January 8th, 2013, 04:04 PM   #12

Netko is not afraid of bears with 10782 pointsNetko is not afraid of bears with 10782 pointsNetko is not afraid of bears with 10782 pointsNetko is not afraid of bears with 10782 pointsNetko is not afraid of bears with 10782 pointsNetko is not afraid of bears with 10782 pointsNetko is not afraid of bears with 10782 pointsNetko is not afraid of bears with 10782 pointsNetko is not afraid of bears with 10782 pointsNetko is not afraid of bears with 10782 pointsNetko is not afraid of bears with 10782 points
OP.... Do it! I got my Gen II 97 blue & white... Loving it! Just be prepared to put some $ aside for repairs as you would with any used car.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

Old January 8th, 2013, 04:46 PM   #13

TowDawg is not afraid of bears with 4901 pointsTowDawg is not afraid of bears with 4901 pointsTowDawg is not afraid of bears with 4901 pointsTowDawg is not afraid of bears with 4901 pointsTowDawg is not afraid of bears with 4901 pointsTowDawg is not afraid of bears with 4901 pointsTowDawg is not afraid of bears with 4901 pointsTowDawg is not afraid of bears with 4901 pointsTowDawg is not afraid of bears with 4901 pointsTowDawg is not afraid of bears with 4901 pointsTowDawg is not afraid of bears with 4901 points
Quote:
So, I'm semi-serious about purchasing a viper (got past the wife hurdle) and have been looking at an '06 coupe with 43k miles. I realize this is fairly high miles for a Viper, but with my budget and the mostly-shitty nature of the roads around our house I can not afford, not do I want one in pristine condition.

I pulled the carfax and it has spent the majority of it's life in Florida, however, there were some repairs that lead me to believe the car has had a fairly rough life, but was just curious as to if these seemed "normal" for a Viper with 40k+ miles

5k - power steering pump (Pretty normal) (Power Steering in general)
28k - window regulator (EXPENSIVE and common)(Be glad it's been replaced)
38k - Flywheel/Flexplate (Upgraded or stock?)(Stil normal with a new clutch)
38k - Engine Mounts (this seems like something that shouldn't need replaced...)
(Woodhouse Engine and Trans mounts are a big upgrade and quite common)
(The stock ones crack pretty easy)(I noticed one of mine was cracked when I
went to install the Woodhouse ones)
38k - window regulator (Same as above)
38k - AC compressor (Nothing a hard life would have caused) (Maybe from running
all the time in FL)
40k - clutch slave cylinder (Been through 3 myself)(Normal with a new clutch)
40k - clutch master cylinder (Normal with a new clutch)

I know exactly how much tires run for this car, and am OK with it, but are expensive repairs like the ones above fairly regular with these cars? I'd probably only be putting about 3k miles on the car per year.

Thanks!
I put my comments in above next to each item. Absolutely nothing on that list that would scare me about a car being abused. If it's in good shape and you like it, get it. I would take to a good tech it to for a PPI. Only a couple hundred bucks to really have it checked out.

Old January 9th, 2013, 07:11 PM   #14
Enthusiast

Does anyone happen to know how much any of the above (or other common) repairs cost? I'm just trying to get a feel for how it would compare to a more normal car.

Old January 9th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #15
RMPL

sundiego is not afraid of bears with 128544 pointssundiego is not afraid of bears with 128544 pointssundiego is not afraid of bears with 128544 pointssundiego is not afraid of bears with 128544 pointssundiego is not afraid of bears with 128544 pointssundiego is not afraid of bears with 128544 pointssundiego is not afraid of bears with 128544 pointssundiego is not afraid of bears with 128544 pointssundiego is not afraid of bears with 128544 pointssundiego is not afraid of bears with 128544 pointssundiego is not afraid of bears with 128544 points
7 years. 7 normal repairs. Nothing indicating abuse. Figure $1K a year for maintenance and repairs if the pros do it. That's probably what it's been at 6K miles a year. With your 3K miles, it may be more than enough. Your next question is who are the good pros in your area? Let them check out the car, and maintain it.

Old January 10th, 2013, 08:02 AM   #16
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundiego View Post
Your next question is who are the good pros in your area? Let them check out the car, and maintain it.
Fortunately I've been told that the best Viper tech in the area is ~ 20 miles away from me. The issue is this car is about 3 hours away in Chicago. However, I'm sure there are enough Chicagolanders on here who can recommend someone there if I go to look at it (still waiting to see what my taxes and bonus situation at work is going to look like.)

Old January 10th, 2013, 08:22 AM   #17

dave6666 is not afraid of bears with 20578 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 20578 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 20578 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 20578 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 20578 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 20578 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 20578 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 20578 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 20578 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 20578 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 20578 points
Quote:
minus the dave farts...
Proctor & Gamble is working closely with RSI on a product to undo what I did.

Old January 10th, 2013, 08:56 AM   #18
RMPL

sundiego is not afraid of bears with 128544 pointssundiego is not afraid of bears with 128544 pointssundiego is not afraid of bears with 128544 pointssundiego is not afraid of bears with 128544 pointssundiego is not afraid of bears with 128544 pointssundiego is not afraid of bears with 128544 pointssundiego is not afraid of bears with 128544 pointssundiego is not afraid of bears with 128544 pointssundiego is not afraid of bears with 128544 pointssundiego is not afraid of bears with 128544 pointssundiego is not afraid of bears with 128544 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6666 View Post
Proctor & Gamble is working closely with RSI on a product to undo what I did.
I thought it was the military's skunk works and haz mat departments.

Old January 10th, 2013, 09:45 AM   #19

Paolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5450 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5450 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5450 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5450 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5450 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5450 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5450 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5450 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5450 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5450 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5450 points
Quote:

Getting a Viper for a mid life crisis is the wrong idea. At your age, you should get it and drive the wheels off the car........ The whole wife and pregnancy thing will put a damper on that from a responsibility standpoint as it's better to be a maniac when you are single.......

Quote:
Fortunately I've been told that the best Viper tech in the area is ~ 20 miles away from me. The issue is this car is about 3 hours away in Chicago. However, I'm sure there are enough Chicagolanders on here who can recommend someone there if I go to look at it (still waiting to see what my taxes and bonus situation at work is going to look like.)
I live in the Chicago area and could possibly go look at the car depending on exactly where it is relative to where I live......

Please send me a PM and I'll see if I can help you!

Old January 16th, 2013, 01:59 PM   #20
Enthusiast

Well, I finally got around to talking to someone at the dealer and they admitted to the car being (noticably) partially repainted at some point. Not seeing it in person it is really hard to tell if it would bother me, but after she mentioned that there was no compromising on the price I let her know it wasn't worth my time to take a day off work to come up and look at it.

I think i'm going to the Chicago auto show in a few weeks so I may actually go take a look at it since I'll be in the neighborhood, but I'm definitely not going to go out of my way to get up (especially because it would just be sitting my garage for a few months).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen III & IV SRT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.