Battery Tender or Remove? - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen III & IV SRT
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Chat · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen III & IV SRT For discussions about the SRT, SRT Coupe, and ACR models.

Battery Tender or Remove?

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old November 13th, 2012, 01:29 PM   #1
Enthusiast

Hammerchuk is a B-Teamer with 80 points

So I've got the car ready for storage and I've come to a point that I'm wondering which route I should go?

I googled an searched but didn't see exactly what I was looking for answer-wise.

Normally I'd just remove the battery in my other cars for winter, will this cause any issues with the Viper or is that perfectly fine?

If I do go the battery tender route, which location would be best to attach it? Under the hood or directly to the battery in my trunk? If I install under the hood would I just leave the hood ajar?

Thanks!
Advertisement

Old November 13th, 2012, 02:45 PM   #2
Smart Ass Dick

BlackSnake99 is not afraid of bears with 90610 pointsBlackSnake99 is not afraid of bears with 90610 pointsBlackSnake99 is not afraid of bears with 90610 pointsBlackSnake99 is not afraid of bears with 90610 pointsBlackSnake99 is not afraid of bears with 90610 pointsBlackSnake99 is not afraid of bears with 90610 pointsBlackSnake99 is not afraid of bears with 90610 pointsBlackSnake99 is not afraid of bears with 90610 pointsBlackSnake99 is not afraid of bears with 90610 pointsBlackSnake99 is not afraid of bears with 90610 pointsBlackSnake99 is not afraid of bears with 90610 points
My Gen II has one installed under the hood. I just don't close the hood all the way.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old November 13th, 2012, 02:53 PM   #3

Curz is not afraid of bears with 14805 pointsCurz is not afraid of bears with 14805 pointsCurz is not afraid of bears with 14805 pointsCurz is not afraid of bears with 14805 pointsCurz is not afraid of bears with 14805 pointsCurz is not afraid of bears with 14805 pointsCurz is not afraid of bears with 14805 pointsCurz is not afraid of bears with 14805 pointsCurz is not afraid of bears with 14805 pointsCurz is not afraid of bears with 14805 pointsCurz is not afraid of bears with 14805 points
Why not use the cig light adapter. I've always done that. Seems to work fine

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

Old November 13th, 2012, 05:07 PM   #4
Enthusiast

viperbob is unremarkable with 40 points
Just feed the line up through the bottom of the engine bay ( just in front of the serpentine belt) and connect to the POS+ post and the NEG- to a header bolt , I have done it that way for years... That way the cord doesn't touch the paint or keep you from closing the hood.

Old November 13th, 2012, 05:08 PM   #5
Enthusiast

If the cigarette lighter adapter is an option on whichever tender I look at, I would look into that too.

That's a good idea as well viperbob.

Sounds like nobody bothers with removing their batteries?

Old November 13th, 2012, 05:26 PM   #6

plumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 80343 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 80343 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 80343 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 80343 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 80343 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 80343 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 80343 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 80343 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 80343 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 80343 pointsplumcrazy is not afraid of bears with 80343 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperbob View Post
Just feed the line up through the bottom of the engine bay ( just in front of the serpentine belt) and connect to the POS+ post and the NEG- to a header bolt , I have done it that way for years... That way the cord doesn't touch the paint or keep you from closing the hood.
what he said

Old November 13th, 2012, 05:28 PM   #7
Enthusiast

Westxsrt10 is definately JV with 283 pointsWestxsrt10 is definately JV with 283 pointsWestxsrt10 is definately JV with 283 points
I wouldnt disconnect the battery from the car, issues will appear after it's reconnected.
I connect the Battery Tender under the rear bumper near the battery outside the car.

Old November 13th, 2012, 05:42 PM   #8
Enthusiast

Brian E is a B-Teamer with 73 points
I have had very good luck leaving the battery in the car and using a Battery Tender Junior. I prefer to connect the harness in the engine bay just like viperbob suggested and leave the harness there year round. The only difference is I don't use a header bolt for the ground, I use a stud up near the windshield for the ground.
I prefer to do it this way rather than unhook or remove the battery because you don't lose the drive cycle readiness for your ECM. Its a real pain in the ass for the people in states that have yearly emissions testing and have to get their OBD monitors to reset and show ready after unhooking the battery. If you want, pm me and I will send you a picture of the harness and its underhood connections.

Old November 13th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #9
Enthusiast

unruuly is a B-Teamer with 106 pointsunruuly is a B-Teamer with 106 points
Cig adapter.

Old November 13th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #10
Enthusiast

Alright guys, thanks for the suggestions and info! Battery Tender it is!

Brian I'll PM u now! Much appreciated!

Old November 14th, 2012, 05:29 PM   #11

RedTanRT/10 made Varsity with 961 pointsRedTanRT/10 made Varsity with 961 pointsRedTanRT/10 made Varsity with 961 pointsRedTanRT/10 made Varsity with 961 pointsRedTanRT/10 made Varsity with 961 pointsRedTanRT/10 made Varsity with 961 pointsRedTanRT/10 made Varsity with 961 pointsRedTanRT/10 made Varsity with 961 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westxsrt10 View Post
I wouldnt disconnect the battery from the car, issues will appear after it's reconnected.

I connect the Battery Tender under the rear bumper near the battery outside the car.

^^^^^^ this. Spend 20 minutes up front and put the battery tenders accessory cables on the battery. Zip tie the cable to the battery box. Connect through the slot in the rear facia. Then 2 seconds on and off via the plug forever.

Old November 17th, 2012, 10:40 AM   #12
n00b

Mister K is unremarkable with 10 points
I removed mine from the car. I never thought that it may cause any issues. Aside from OBD emmisions monitors will it cause driveability problems?

Old March 9th, 2013, 04:49 PM   #13
Enthusiast

I connected my battery tender this fall via the cigarette lighter method.

The tender/charger showed full charge and was running on 2A float mode...

I was able to lock my doors with the remote and the car honked to confirm, I decided to just leave the car unlocked however before leaving the storage garage.

Fast forward a couple of months, I went over to check my front tire size to order some new ones, noticed the battery tender was showing full charge and on the 2A floating charge still... However I was not able to get my car to honk when using the remote to lock the doors or see the lights flash when locking/unlocking... Which leads me to believe the battery must have actually died...

I tried new batteries in the remote today just outside the garage door and had the same situation. I didn't have time to take the cover off the car the other day and try and start it though as both I and the owner of the garage were in a bit of a rush.

I'm guessing the battery died or is there something I'm missing here?

Old March 16th, 2013, 01:45 PM   #14
Enthusiast

Nevermind, found what i wanted

Last edited by Hammerchuk; March 16th, 2013 at 01:53 PM.

Old March 16th, 2013, 05:14 PM   #15

Disturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 16760 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 16760 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 16760 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 16760 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 16760 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 16760 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 16760 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 16760 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 16760 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 16760 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 16760 points
I just for the 1st time ever broke down and got a battery tender. I have a Gel Cell so had to get a tender/charger that had provisions for that. I found one at wal-mart it was 59.99. I also found the same charger/tender at the local flee market, NIB, paid $13.

I hooked it to the + under the hood and to the ground stud near the PCM. The cables exit the "gill" no problems with the hood closed, but I don have a pin-on race hood. Been on for two months, I went to start it...like I just parked it yesterday....perfect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen III & IV SRT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.