Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

97 GTS (UGR TWIN 78mm Project)

20K views 208 replies 42 participants last post by  scottyitsk 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

The install has officially begun. I myself will not be 100% doing the install, but my mechanic will be working at home in his garage for this project, but I will be dropping by as much as I can to take install pictures and report anything that seems significant for all you turbo guys. Below is everything that is going on the viper.

- Underground Racing's Twin 78 mm system
contains - Tial 44 mm wastegates, Tial 50 mm BOV, Precision twin 78's oil cooled, UGR cold piping (powdercoated gloss black), UGR Manifolds, UGR front mount.. UGR Alum Fuel Rails (powdercoated gloss black, Intake Mani port matched (powdered wrinkle black),.. etc etc
- RSI Tripple Pump Hanger (255 walbros x3)
- -8 feed/-6 return
- RSI 1000cc Injectors (high impedance)
- Greddy Electronic boost controller
- AEM Widebands x2
- Centerforce Duel Friction Disc Clutch
- Roe Racing Water/Meth Trunk kit
- JM fabrics Oil Catch/vent Can
- AEM EMS v1

Mods already completed that will effect build:
- 3.55 Unitrax Built Rear end
- Full TNT exhaust system (no cats)
- Upgraded Radiator
- Upgraded Fan
- 190 degree thermo (might go to a 180, if it gets to hott)

Im sure im missing some smaller things, but that obviously is the main build.

The engine is the stock forged 97 engine with no modifications, 14000 original babied miles on the engine.

Will from Racing Solutions and I are going to try to reach 900 - 1000 whp... and yes i know that that is pushing it for the stock engine, but I will probably will only run 600 whp on the streets.

I will keep everyone updated on the build and its ins and outs the best I can. After the install is complete and everything is good to go, the viper will be sent to WILL from RSI for the AEM install and tune!!!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Very nice-- I will say, a stand alone is really the way to go. I have a piggy back on mine and I just dont love the way it runs/ limits of tuning. Makes great power and all, but I miss having full control of everything. Good luck with the install!

#5 ·
No doubt bross, thanks for helping my dreams to come true.

and Lee... after talking to Will from RSI.. he sold me on the standalone.. having complete control of everything to keep this thing running tip top is vital obviously haha!!

#8 ·
You might want to stay with the stock 3.07s. With that much power, 3.55s might be too much

Reactions: Hyph
#10 ·
Looks awesome, you won't be disappointed, unless you get frustrated easily. Nothing will go as planned and there will be lots of hot fixes as you drive the car..... buuuutttt, anyone with a TT car will tell you it's worth it in the end if you stick with it.

I have a VEC3 tuning my TT setup and it's just ok, really thinking of stand alone or upgrade to an obd2 computer and SCT to go along with it. The issues aren't major, but just a few quirks I would like to iron out.

I would also leave the 3.07 gears.

Good luck, and post lots of pictures.

#12 ·
If you ahve an AEM you can skip the electronic boost controller. With the AEM it is easy to set up boost per speed.

AEM has a speed table that is fixed, (16,32,48,64,80,96,112 and so on every 16 mph spots) and you can assign a boost value to each speed.

You can a have a low/high switch where the low can be waste gate springs, and the high can go to the look up table and adjust boost based on speed.

Since the AEM knows the car speed from the speed sensor and controls the viper speedometer, it works like a charm!

Also the Center force Clutch can hold the power, but it becomes a litle hard to shift gears when it gets hot, at least that was my experience when I had it back in the day.

Keep us posted on the progress!

#13 ·
Will do guys!! thanks for all the input!!!

And believe me.. you guys arent the first to tell me about the gearing situation!! im going to leave them in for now.. and if I do not like them.. i will swap the 3.07's back in!

I will keep everyone posted.

#17 ·
Cool project. I must agree with the guys saying be patient. Nothing will really just fall into place. Its always seems to take double the time it should. Dont get too excited with boost either. If you want more power do your cylinder heads first vs rasing the boost to high. I wouldn't go much more than 10 psi.

My 3:07 have traction problems. I would also say dont do the 3:55.

Post lots of pics.
Here's a link to my turbo build.

http://thevipergarage.com/index.php/topic,1102.0.html

#20 ·
I live in Harrisburg PA. Thanks for all the heads up guys. Im not sure how WILL from RSI.. Wants to control the boost.. So I will jdust hook up the greddy ebc and let WILL make his
Decision.... I want to give the 3.55 ratio a try.. And if i do not like it.. I will swap the 3.07 gear back in!

Ill post as many pictures as possible everyone!

#30 ·
The shorter gears will load the turbos less making less boost per gear.

If the car is making more torque than the tires can hold, the tires will spin regardless.

When I had 2.72 gears, the car felt like it pulled harder than it did with 3.07's because it made more boost due to the load and then because the gear was longer it felt all the better.

3.55's will be too short and you will end up spinning and shifting a lot more.

With decent power like 1000 ramping up to 1100-1200 RWHP, 4th gear is the best gear because it just pulls forever! :D

#24 ·
Okay, so just a little update on the viper tt ugr build...

We removed all of the pointless emissions crap.. and cleared up some space in the engine bay. We also deleted all of the AC system.. as I did not want it anymore. I just ordered all the needed gaskets, and also had to get the AC delete belt.

We are now working on notching the frame in the specific locations.. this is taking some time as .. we want to make sure we do not cut TOO MUCH..

here are some pictures of what she looks like now. (not much to look at haha)

Attachments

Reactions: Hyph
#28 ·
haha. yea i plan on saving it.. that way if i ever sell the car down the road.. i can put the ac components back in!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.