Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

RSI Twin Turbo/ Engine Build Install (In Progress)

61K views 634 replies 85 participants last post by  V10TT 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,

I just dropped my car off today at RSI (Feb 24) for their new production twin turbo system and built motor. This system is essentially the Gen 2 version of the RSI shippable turbo kit.

My car is a 2002 GTS that made around 450hp/500tq with filters/tubes, SCT, Belanger Headers, and custom exhaust.

Here is what I am having installed:

Engine:

Blueprint Block to RSI Clearances
RSI Spec Crankshaft Modification
CP Pistons / Pins / Rings
RSI Spec H-Beam Rods
Clevite 77 "H" Bearings - Rod / Main
Viper Short Block Assembly
ARP 247-4201 1.00 EACH ARP Head Stud Kit for Dodge
RSI Custom Main Stud Kit for Dodge Viper – ARP 2000 Material
Mopar Gasket Kit for Dodge Viper Gen 2
Includes: Fluids and Shop Supplies

Turbo System
Precision 6766 CEA – Journal Bearing (Upgraded)
RSI Custom Up Pipes
RSI 3” Exhaust w/ polished tips
RSI Turbo to Intercooler Pipe
RSI Custom Viper Intercooler
RSI Intake Pipes
RSI Dump tubes
Tial Q Blow off Valves
Precision Wastegates
Oil line kit with fittings and Scavenge pump
All Necessary Black Silicone Couplers and T-Bolt Clamps
Turbo Mount K&N Filters
All Pipes come standard with Black Ceramic
(Hotside) and Black Powercoat (Cool Side)
RSI EB1000G3 1.00 EACH RSI Stage 3 Fuel System and Tuning
- RSI Billet Triple Pump Hanger
- Twin Walbro 255s
- RSI Stage 3 Line Kit
- RSI Billet Fuel Rails
- 80LB Deka Injectors
- SCT Tuner
- RSI Sensor Kit for SCT TT Vipers

Accessories:
- Autometer Gauge Pod
- AEM Wideband
- Eboost 2 Boost Controller
- RSI or Woodhouse - Transmission and Engine Mounts
- Raptor Shift Light
- MGW Short Shifter

Drive Train
OS Giken Super Lock LSD
Centerforce Clutch (Already Installed)
Spec Aluminum Flywheel (Already Installed)

Recently, it seems that some RSI customers have had issues regarding their cars being in the shop for an extended period of time. An additional complaint is that RSI has had poor communication with its customers. My personal experience is that Will@RSI has been very helpful over the past month. He has assisted me in choosing the right parts for my build, while still staying on a budget. Will usually responds to text messages within 20 minutes of me sending them and will call me back if I leave a message that day. In order to remedy the build time issue, I am having my block built from a core (provided by RSI) in order to cut down on amount of time my car is at RSI. The deposit on the block was made approximately 3 weeks ago (Feb 6.)

The purpose of this thread is to:
1) Provide build pics and updates
2) Provide a time line of how long my car has been in the shop
3) Provide performance results of the finished product
4) Provide any issues or delays in my build (service or car related)
I will update this thread as I receive pictures and status updates.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Running Time Line:

- Feb 6: Block deposit made and core block started
- Feb 24: Car delivered to RSI (Dropped off 1 week early to fit my schedule)

I will post pics as soon as I get them.

*Thanks to Alkybanshee, Mr. Hollywood, and Junkie for helping me put my build together.

See less See more
Reactions: kanadianpride
#8 ·
The pressure plate is probably every bit of 20 lbs... and since it's bolted directly to the flywheel, there's probably close to 35# worth of "flywheel" in reality, even with the aluminum part. I wouldn't worry about it as much as that brand clutch holding up.

#9 ·
I already had the clutch and flywheel installed (my slave cylinder went out.) I figured i would upgrade later when it wears out. I put my money into the LSD instead of replacing a clutch/flywheel with 700 miles in it.

#20 ·
The purpose of this thread is to:
1) Provide build pics and updates
2) Provide a time line of how long my car has been in the shop
3) Provide performance results of the finished product
4) Provide any issues or delays in my build (service or car related)
I will update this thread as I receive pictures and status updates.
Where is the car in the build process

#22 ·
Sorry about not updating this thread. We had some delays at the machine shop which pushed the completion date out quite a bit. I also chose to go the AEM EMS route instead of trying to tune with the SCT.

Anyways, I just visited RSI yesterday and here are some of the progress pics over the last 2 weeks:

Turbo System Piping w/ Intercooler

Engine Finished

Engine Installed

Intercooler Mounted

We are hoping to have it completed by the end of next week. I’ll post up what kind of numbers it makes when we finish.

#25 ·
Thanks man, I can't wait until it is done.

Looks great, with a build this nice you should ask Will about adding some 70mm throttle bodies to it. More air + much better looks.
I will probably hold off on the TB's, since my heads and intake manifold are still stock.

#29 ·
Couple of pics from yesterday.

Everything was ready to go except the turbos came with the wrong exhaust housing...FML:(

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New housings will be over nighted from precision, and then the system will have its final test fitment before everything is powder coated.

Car should hit the dyno this week.

#30 ·
What are some other turbo options that you guys would recommend that use the V-Band In/Out exhaust housing and around the same size as the 6766's? I am having issues locating this housing due to PTE being on back order. My PTE housings were supposed to have a .82AR but if I switch to a Tial housing I can bump that to an 1.03 AR.

I don't know a thing about turbos so, any help would be great.

What do you guys think of these? (Assuming these fit)
Any other suggestions?

Garrett: GT37
Turbonetics: 6665
Comp: CT4-6767

#33 ·
Have you talked to Comp? they might recommend a bigger turbine (like a 6770 or 6776). I tend to lean towards a bigger turbine with a smaller A/R vs. a smaller turbine with bigger A/R, but that's me. See what Justin says.

#39 · (Edited)
Thanks for the great info Paolo. On a side note, the car will be tuned using an AEM EMS.

As I mentioned before, I am limited in choices due to only being able to run V-Band In/Out exhaust housings. The largest AR Precision makes in this exhaust housing is .82 AR. If I were to switch to a Garrett variation, I could use the Tial V-Band In/Out exhaust housing and run a larger 1.03 AR housing.

Judging from the info you just gave me, it looks like the GT-35 would be a bit small for my application and the car would be a handfull due to the power coming on real fast and hard.

What do you guys think of the larger Garretts in comparison to the Precision 6766?

For example GT37 or GT40 (1.03AR) vs PTE6466/ PTE6766 (.82AR)?

Or GT4294?

#40 · (Edited)
Was I correct to assume the .82 AR is a T-3?

All the other turbo part numbers you mentioned could be T-3 or T-4 for all we know except for the GT42.... Tial also makes some beautiful Stainless Steel T-4 V-band exhaust housings. As long as it fits your center section it should work fine as long as there is enough physical displacement on the car with the turbo system from RSI to fit the larger housing, that is what you should get IMO.

A GT 35 with a nice T-4 housing will work just fine......

Good luck with the AEM. Some work great, some fail and need to be repaired. From the last couple of customers of mine whose AEM's failed, it was hell to figure out what to do since AEM no longer supports the Viper units.

#41 ·
I know that Will doesn't like to run big exhaust housings, he and I have had the conversation before. I run 76mm with .96AR housings, he's told me that a GT35R car will beat mine on the highway and in real world situations, but that mine would make a higher peak number. I think Stacy's RSI car runs GT35R's, hopefully I'll get a chance to run him at the next airfield event.

#44 ·
The reason Will says that is because you are running the 76mm compressor wheel with the .96 T-4.

The problem with everybody's reasoning is they all want big compressor wheel like a 76mm or a 78mm for bragging rights when in actuality, all they need is 61mm or 62mm compressor(GT35R) and a large enough T-4 exhaust housing with large enough exhaust wheel to minimize exhaust back pressure.

I have a hard time believing a GT35 car can beat a 76 car on a highway roll unless the 76 car is not spooled when the GT35 car steals the hit. If the race is 80 to 150-200 MPH, the 35 car does not have a chance IMO because it cannot make big power like the 76 car. If you're going to do 40 to 100 MPH rolls, you should just get a Roe Blower car...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.