Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

I have a twin turbo kit and a Paxton kit.... which should I install?

3K views 34 replies 17 participants last post by  Drlee50 
#1 ·
The paxton kit it about 1/2 way installed. I could have it done in a couple hours. I still need to install the fuel system also. I just picked up a UGR twin 76mm partial kit. Has the hot side but I need to fab up the cold side and buy an intercooler. And install my fuel system . And my engine management system.

I have a SCT tuner on the car now and a split second box. I'm running 1000cc injectors and a RSI triple intank pump setup. I need to pass obd2 emissions plug in test. So....I thought running the split second and the sct should work ok for the Paxton. It can also turn on the extra fuel pumps.. But what about for the twin turbos ? I am worried that engine management setup will not work well enough. So, i was going to just install the Paxton for now. With its linear power band, it should be easier to tune. A full stand alone is what I want to run, but I really need obd2 ready codes to function. Figured I could run the Paxton for a while until I can figure out a obd2 solution .

Suggestions ?

#3 ·
I tuned a mild Twin Turbo '99 RT10 with just a split-second box and a WBO2 to 746rwhp. It did a remarkable job and has been running since 2008... Used in conjunction with the SCT, you'll have plenty of tunability. Let me know if you would like any help.

As for the original question... there is no comparing a Paxton to twin turbos. :D

#9 ·
I was worried about closed loop operation with this setup. Did you just run it in various loads and tweak til it was pretty good in each area? What do you have for fail safes? ) ie: the AFR's go lean or fat because something failed )

I ran a BigStuff3 with my last setup and set it to go closed loop over 4000 rpms. It would correct based off wide band readings and add or subtract fuel or timing based on conditions and target AFR's I set. I would love to have that with OBD2 functionality

#7 ·
My plan is to only run pump gas...93 octane here. I will run meth injection as well. My goal is somewhere in the 800-900 rwhp area. I do not want to replace the trans, rear end, half shafts clutch etc, to contain the power.

I have a spec stage 2 clutch, I will put in better half shafts, and that's about it. I do not want to swap the trans out or buy a mark williams rear so I will limit power to what the stock components can hold. Is 800-900 rwhp unrealistic for the stock trans and the components I have listed?

It is a built motor already with rods and pistons and ported heads. Has a blower cam in it right now, but I have a turbo cam on the way. I am confident the engine can hold up to 1000rwhp but no so confident about the trans and rear.

#12 ·
Drlee50 said:
I was worried about closed loop operation with this setup. Did you just run it in various loads and tweak til it was pretty good in each area? What do you have for fail safes? ie: the AFR's go lean or fat because something failed )
Yep. Drove around at various loads until the Air/Fuel was responsive and safe. The factory computer governs open and closed loop as usual, but SCT should allow you some changes there. We addressed potential problem areas on the fuel/timing maps with safe numbers too. It doesn't have a "failsafe provision," but then again is there really anything that can failsafe a 900hp catastrophy?

#15 ·
Did you read plugs at all with your tuning? I am curious if anyone can tell me the most lean cylinders on these engines with the stock intake. I am sure there is poor balance on air distribution with this thing. I like to pull plugs on top of AFR readings because obviously in the collector its a mix of 5 cylinders. Could really have a lean cyl in a bank and not see it with just reading AFRs. can someone tell me the leanest cyl's?

#19 ·
Is it april fools already? I can't believe you would even need to ask that question. :)

I vote for the TT kit, it is just a better long term decision. You can run as little or as much power as you want with 76mm huffers. You will regret wasting any more time with the paxton, get those turbos on there!

#20 ·
Well it really comes down to the tuning issue while maintaining OBD2 functions. If people think I can get er done with the SCT and the split second or even a VEC 2/3, then I am just going to install the Twins. Seems like that is the case so....I have to find an intercooler setup for twins now.......

#24 ·
I come from a 1200 hp mustang... Stock, this thing viper sucks! Vipers need lots more power . Its magnified with this 3.08 rear gear.

#29 ·
The question it not which it better...we know turbo is the way to go. the nonstupid question is...can the turbo setup be tuned properly with paggyback bandaids? the supercharger setup is much easier to tune vs the turbo setup. I require keeping obd2 functional.

I still think I am going to have some troubles getting a "great" tune with the turbo kit but im going for it. I pulled off the paxton pulley and removed the radiator and condensor. I expect the new cam to be here monday. Condensor was bent anyway. going to put in a new one. Im surprised how much it bent and still held freon!

Attachments

#31 ·
pervious post i put a pic of my oil cooler . once the fins are all bent up are they pretty much junk or are they repairable?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.