Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

Anyone Changed a Timing Cover?

989 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  MH60M 
#1 ·
Anyone Changed a Timing Cover?

Mine is cracked from some under-carriage carnage.

Can it be changed with the engine in the car? Do i need to remove the Oil Pan or can i sneek the oil pickup out of the front of the pan?

It looks like a complete pain in the ass to do in the car....but I don't have the means to pull the engine right now.

Thanks, Matt

#4 ·
OK thanks guys!

Its a Gen 2.

I already got the front off, Radiator, crossbar, alt.

Fun, fun, fun.

Do I have to drop the pan?

Thanks again, Matt

#5 ·
By the time it takes to message twice about the pan it would have been off. With air tools, I can have my oil pan off in 10 minutes or less once it takes me 20 minutes to jack it up and put it on the jack stands. I truly do not know the answer, but that pan is the easiest thing in the entire world to take off if needed. My 68 GTO literally takes 12 hours to R&R the oil pan, the Viper less than an hour.

#7 · (Edited)
$200 for a non-A/C cover from xVipers/Builders

Oh yea, real easy job actually. Off and On w/new gaskets.

Only took a few hours. 30 min of that was trying to align the oil pump cogs, what a bitch that is, "in-car".

I didn't drop the pan. I pulled the cover off and the pan gasket looks pretty hefty and in excellent condition.

I did however notice some corrosion on the BLOCK in the coolant passage areas........copper rad and alum everything else, I should've expected that.

Thanks for the help guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.