check engine light NOT working failed inspection - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Chat · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen I & II Discussions of Viper-related subjects covering Gen-I and Gen-II models.

check engine light NOT working failed inspection

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old April 9th, 2009, 02:11 PM   #1
n00b

440-demon is unremarkable with 10 points

I took my 1998 Viper to an NJ inspection station today for the first time, even though I've owned the car for about a year. The inspector failed me because my light did not come on prior to starting and accused me of unplugging it. Regardless, the car passed emissions anyway but he still gave me a big red sticker. I don't even know where to start. It's only got 6K miles. Could it be simply replacing the bulb? Any way to check??
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 9th, 2009, 02:32 PM   #2

-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points
Can you go somewhere else? Like where some kids work at the shop? The younger crowed alyaws oogles at the Viper when I bring it in and usually try pass it to be cool. I have never had anyone actually look inside my car, to see what lights come on. When I did my 98' I started the car while the dude watched the big computer contraption doohickie outside the car about 10 feet away.

Old April 9th, 2009, 02:38 PM   #3
n00b

NJ is very tough on ispections. Everything is recorded and they will suspend your registration after 45 days if you do not make the necessary repairs. As far as I know, only NJDOT inspection stations can certify.

Old April 9th, 2009, 02:41 PM   #4

-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points-FROG- is not afraid of bears with 8581 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by 440-demon View Post
NJ is very tough on ispections. Everything is recorded and they will suspend your registration after 45 days if you do not make the necessary repairs. As far as I know, only NJDOT inspection stations can certify.
uber ghayness.

Old April 9th, 2009, 03:04 PM   #5

Zentenk is definately a better person than you are with 380 pointsZentenk is definately a better person than you are with 380 pointsZentenk is definately a better person than you are with 380 pointsZentenk is definately a better person than you are with 380 points
Thats gay... I erased mine but forgot to put the carpet back up... and the guy was like, someone been messing around down here. I played dumb since I just got it lol. I passed but failed sound. =(

Don't matter because to me though, still got tags from another state.

GL on the fix, no clue.

Old April 9th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #6
n00b

I hope there is an easy way to check the curcuit first. I just read my service manual and it looks like a big job to change the bulb.

Old April 9th, 2009, 04:22 PM   #7

sdaddy is not afraid of bears with 19645 pointssdaddy is not afraid of bears with 19645 pointssdaddy is not afraid of bears with 19645 pointssdaddy is not afraid of bears with 19645 pointssdaddy is not afraid of bears with 19645 pointssdaddy is not afraid of bears with 19645 pointssdaddy is not afraid of bears with 19645 pointssdaddy is not afraid of bears with 19645 pointssdaddy is not afraid of bears with 19645 pointssdaddy is not afraid of bears with 19645 pointssdaddy is not afraid of bears with 19645 points
There may be some reasons you want a functioning check engine light other than to pass a vehicle inspection! Like to know when something in you car is fucked up and you need to check your engine before you keep driving and fuck something up worse. I would get it fixed.

Old April 9th, 2009, 06:15 PM   #8
Mercenary Mechanic

Monzsta is not afraid of bears with 17306 pointsMonzsta is not afraid of bears with 17306 pointsMonzsta is not afraid of bears with 17306 pointsMonzsta is not afraid of bears with 17306 pointsMonzsta is not afraid of bears with 17306 pointsMonzsta is not afraid of bears with 17306 pointsMonzsta is not afraid of bears with 17306 pointsMonzsta is not afraid of bears with 17306 pointsMonzsta is not afraid of bears with 17306 pointsMonzsta is not afraid of bears with 17306 pointsMonzsta is not afraid of bears with 17306 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaddy View Post
There may be some reasons you want a functioning check engine light other than to pass a vehicle inspection! Like to know when something in you car is fucked up and you need to check your engine before you keep driving and fuck something up worse. I would get it fixed.
If the car was modded/or a problem child the previous owner may have removed the bulb. If the PCM shows no codes, then a $2 bulb is all it needs.

Real savy guys used to cut the circuit trace for the MIL bulb and wire it to the battery or oil light for a bulb check. It would come on, and go out as required, but before OBDII inspections nobody cared if codes were in the PCM.

Old April 9th, 2009, 06:35 PM   #9
n00b

The car was tuned by RSI and has the 700HP package. In NJ, NJDOT inspection stations plug their emission equipement into the OBD jack. They also wand the exhaust. The car passed inspection for emissions on both accounts. I guess I should get me one of those OBD II testers to see if there are any failure codes. Can someone recommend a good OBD tester? If the curcuit was cut, which wire should I look for? Would the OBD register that the wire was cut? Would the OBD register that a message bulb was out?

Old April 9th, 2009, 07:26 PM   #10
Mercenary Mechanic

Monzsta is not afraid of bears with 17306 pointsMonzsta is not afraid of bears with 17306 pointsMonzsta is not afraid of bears with 17306 pointsMonzsta is not afraid of bears with 17306 pointsMonzsta is not afraid of bears with 17306 pointsMonzsta is not afraid of bears with 17306 pointsMonzsta is not afraid of bears with 17306 pointsMonzsta is not afraid of bears with 17306 pointsMonzsta is not afraid of bears with 17306 pointsMonzsta is not afraid of bears with 17306 pointsMonzsta is not afraid of bears with 17306 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by 440-demon View Post
The car was tuned by RSI and has the 700HP package. In NJ, NJDOT inspection stations plug their emission equipement into the OBD jack. They also wand the exhaust. The car passed inspection for emissions on both accounts. I guess I should get me one of those OBD II testers to see if there are any failure codes. Can someone recommend a good OBD tester? If the curcuit was cut, which wire should I look for? Would the OBD register that the wire was cut? Would the OBD register that a message bulb was out?
If there are no codes then the bulb is burnt out or missing. Just have someone pull out the instrument cluster to have a look.

Old April 10th, 2009, 07:17 PM   #11
n00b

bump

Old April 10th, 2009, 07:51 PM   #12

99VPRGTS is The Man with 2141 points99VPRGTS is The Man with 2141 points99VPRGTS is The Man with 2141 points99VPRGTS is The Man with 2141 points99VPRGTS is The Man with 2141 points99VPRGTS is The Man with 2141 points99VPRGTS is The Man with 2141 points99VPRGTS is The Man with 2141 points99VPRGTS is The Man with 2141 points99VPRGTS is The Man with 2141 points99VPRGTS is The Man with 2141 points
The dash is not the hard to remove and get back there. You could call RSI (are they still around?) and ask them. They would have detailed information on it. As far as buying a scanner, just go to autozone and get one. I paid about 110 for mine and it workds great! Reads, displays, and tells you what each code means. You can also use it on just about any car! Anyway, if you don't want to do it yourself, you might want to take it in and just pay the cash to get it fixed. Like Sdaddy said, you want that thing working!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.