Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

Are all Vipers Terrible about Slowing Down?

2K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  rory 
#1 ·
I took my Viper out the other night for the first time in forever and actually run it hard a lil' bit. Its really my first time opening it up since the new blower install several months back. Anyways, the thing feels like a Roller Coaster trying to slow it down from say 140 mph or so. Anything over 100 mph really. It has New ERADI SPEED rotors all the way around, but stock calipers.
My Supra never felt unstable slowing down even up past 160mph. Is this just characteristics of the Viper or is something wrong with my brakes?

#4 ·
Yeah, it seems like forever. It has came out of the garage in close to 2 months. HA.

Just thought of something, I never have Re Aligned the car since I lowered it. Could that be the problem?

#6 ·
Lowering the car will add negative camber all around and toe-out at the front. This will definitely make the car wander under braking. Do you even know what brake pads you are running?

#7 · (Edited)
I do not know what brake pads are on the car. I guess I just need to find somewhere to allign it. Is it really that hard? I've heard a Viper was special and I have heard it was normal?

#15 ·
I had a 4 wheel alignment done a few days at a local speed shop. It cost around $75 CAN and it took the tech. a couple of hours to complete the alignment. This is a flat rate for all vehicles. They never used their normal hourly rate on the wheel alignment. The tech told me the rear drivers side and the front drivers side was out quite a bit. Hope this helps.

BR,

Shaun

#12 ·
When I owned the car it stopped in a controlled fashion without too much hassle. Not great (typical GTS) but it gave me a safe feeling...even speeds above 100MPH.

When I owned the sled it had stock pads and I installed the Baer rotors.

Check your tire pressures, make sure the wheel lugs are properly tightened and most certainly get it aligned.

#13 ·
I am very impressed with the braking on the Gen3 Chris. Had that problem with other cars before. Listen to Dean.

Check & or replace brake pads and do an alignment. How many miles on the car?

#16 ·
If you want to get better braking, get with Tom the oil&fuel guy. $650 to modify your rear brakes from 38mm to 40mm. It's one of the first things I am doing when I get back.

#20 ·
Tell the tech to please lift the tires off the platform before adjusting the alignment cams. It's easy for a careless person to round off the adjusters with weight on the corners.

Reactions: BOOST ALMIGHTY
#21 ·
I can brake like a mad man from high speeds but I've got aftermarket suspension, weight ratio adjustments, brake upgrades, and lowering.

However, I do take forever to slow down from 140mph because I'd rather coast down to 100mph or so before applying brakes. Although I do enjoy that tasty hot brake smell after I come to a stop after going fast.

#22 ·
I got flamed for this a month ago but ill say it again...

I loved my rt10...410 rwhp and 465 rwt bone stock..Great looks with nice leather and yada yada yada...

But the brakes on my 99 rt10 were just horrible..Even after replacing them with new stock brakes and calipers...

Well I totalled the rt10 about 6 weeks ago. I had a good 75 yards before i was gonna hit a wall slowing down from 55 mph after loosing control on the freeway..

AND IT JUST WOULDNT STOP...

As well on numerous slow downs from 150 mph it always seemed like the car would pull to the left and right when slowing down from these high speeds and did indeed feel like a roller coaster..

My stock 2004 auto c5 took about 10 seconds longer to hit 150 mph than the rt10 did..But damn the vette slowed down perfectly from 150 mph no problem..

I was on the fence between a 2002 ACR and a 2003 SRT10 for a few weeks..Both around the same price of low 50's..

Both pretty similar in 0-60 and the 1/4 mile..

But i chose the SRT10 simply because after not being able to stop and hit that wall..Well..

Brakes ment a lot more to me..

Im picking up the SRT10 tomorrow and the thing I cant wait to try out the most isnt the actual convertable top or 450 rwhp..

It's those world class brakes that I wanna feel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.