Common Viper Problems? - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Chat · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen I & II Discussions of Viper-related subjects covering Gen-I and Gen-II models.

Common Viper Problems?

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Common Viper Problems?
Old August 19th, 2005, 08:41 PM   #1
n00b

theman1990 is unremarkable with 10 points
Common Viper Problems?

Well I've been searching the site trying to find if there are any common problems with Vipers, and have not come up with much. I mostly read that they are expensive to fix. Are there any common issues which a prospective buyer should be on the lookout for aside from obvious racing abuse etc? I am looking to get a 1997 or later GTS, and I intend to drive it regularly. It WON'T be a garage queen. Thanks!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Re: Common Viper Problems?
Old August 19th, 2005, 09:22 PM   #2
Enthusiast

Two Bad Snakes is unremarkable with 20 points

Power steering pully (Nylon) they explode,

Certain water pumps

Mark

Old August 19th, 2005, 10:49 PM   #3

99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 56098 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 56098 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 56098 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 56098 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 56098 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 56098 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 56098 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 56098 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 56098 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 56098 points99RT10&GTS is not afraid of bears with 56098 points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bad Snakes
Power steering pully (Nylon) they explode,

Certain water pumps

Mark
Water pumps in the 2001 car. Some have bad impellers and causes the car to run hot

Old August 20th, 2005, 07:06 AM   #4

Ray from NJ made Varsity with 900 pointsRay from NJ made Varsity with 900 pointsRay from NJ made Varsity with 900 pointsRay from NJ made Varsity with 900 pointsRay from NJ made Varsity with 900 pointsRay from NJ made Varsity with 900 pointsRay from NJ made Varsity with 900 pointsRay from NJ made Varsity with 900 points

Spontaneous combustion - when the power steering cap falls off and the fluid ignites on the exhaust header.
Install an aftermarket power steering vent.

Old August 20th, 2005, 09:18 AM   #5
Diamond Supporter

McGuireV10 is a B-Teamer with 110 pointsMcGuireV10 is a B-Teamer with 110 points

Minor repairs are not terribly expensive, but body work, paint, and major components can get expensive. If you find a good dealership, they can even find the identical part off a different vehicle (e.g. they reused parts off cheaper cars) and save you a bunch of money. For example, I think the RT/10 gas cap is something like $75, but it's identical to the ones on the Ram and if you order that, it's only about $12.

They're fairly trouble-free for having such low production numbers. I wouldn't hesitate to jump in mine and take a 1500 mile trip in any weather.

Old August 21st, 2005, 06:32 AM   #6
Enthusiast

Dv8tor is unremarkable with 20 points
Send a message via AIM to Dv8tor

The only problem I continuously have is I see white smoke coming from under my back tires whenever I step on the accelerator too hard :-)

Old August 21st, 2005, 12:58 PM   #7
n00b

Thanks guys.... What about longevity? I know most people seem to enjoy only driving them on nice days, about 3000 miles a year, but what about the long haulers?

Anyone here hit over 100,000 miles in one? How did it hold up? I myself believe in driving a car, that it's only an object for fun, and I have NO fun looking at it in a garage...

Old August 21st, 2005, 01:38 PM   #8
Diamond Supporter

McGuireV10 is a B-Teamer with 110 pointsMcGuireV10 is a B-Teamer with 110 points

Chuck is probably in the 100,000 mile range on his 98 RT/10. A few people here use them as daily drivers, or very nearly so. I was using mine that way on and off the first couple years I had it.

If you're the kind of person who can drive a car like that on a regular basis and enjoy it, the car can definitely handle it. They're loud and basic. Not necessarily uncomfortable, although the AC is a little sub-par in the hotter climates, but from a reliability standpoint, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Old August 21st, 2005, 06:43 PM   #9

GTSnake is well liked with 190 pointsGTSnake is well liked with 190 points

What about the broken wires in the door hinges, sagging doors that need alignment every so often, misaligned hoods that have inconsistent gaps, exhaust drone at certain rpm etc. Maybe a handful of dealers around the country that can really service them. That's all I can think of for now.

But I love my car and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Old August 22nd, 2005, 04:35 AM   #10
Diamond Supporter

Misaligned hoods are easy to fix.

Exhaust drone can be fixed. If nothing else, I always take it as a sign that I need to accelerate.

I can't say I've ever heard of broken wires until just now, but I don't do the .morg so that probably plays into it. Sagging doors seem to be an occasional problem at worst, and from the techs I've spoken with, it seems to afflict those who slam their doors, rather than closing them as if they were made of plastic and fiberglass... I've heard of a few cases, that's it.

I'm not trying to say you're wrong, but I suspect you're getting into rare problems, not things a potential new owner needs to actually worry about. I think this guy is worried more about major maintenance issues. I'd say as long as the car had the steering rack recall done, the only other major Gen II issue worth being concerned about is the plastic impeller thing, and I gather there were few of those.

Old August 22nd, 2005, 01:45 PM   #11
n00b

Is the pulley covered under warranty?

How about ride and comfort? I KNOW it's a sportscar, but that doesn't mean it has to ride like a brick or have crappy seats etc.

Old August 22nd, 2005, 02:14 PM   #12
Diamond Supporter

The seats are decent. It rides like a brick because it's a sportscar, unlike 98% of the other cars which are categorized as a sportscar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.