Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

Viper engine

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  DHK 
#1 ·
I am an LS1 guy and I want to know what makes the viper engine unique other than its sheer size and 10 cylinders? I am currently writing an English paper comparing Corvettes, Mustangs, and Vipers. (The mustangs do not compare well......lol!)

#4 ·
Not much. It really is an old school pushrod engine w/fuel injection(much like the LS1/LS6)

One of the amazing things about the viper motor is the amount tq it can make. And how fat the power band is. Unlike a Mustang or vette...the power isn't peaky(although the vette isn't bad). So you don't have to have a big peak number to have it moving.

Power differance between the viper and vette feels the same as the differance between a Mustang GT and a Vette Zo6. There is just gobs of power everywhere. Even as low as 1500rpm, many stock Vipers (GenII...think GTS) never make less than 350-370rwtq.

For GenII Vipers.

Some simple facts to help you out.
- Max tq (460-470rwtq) comes on at about 3500rpm and lasts untill 4500rpm
- 90% of max rwtq starts about 2000rpm and ends 5500rpm.
- Peak rwhp is normaly arould 415-425rwhp @ 5300rpm.
- 90% of peak rwhp is from about 4300rpm to 6300rpm.

A Vipers power comes on HARD and fast. It's damn near impossible to lug the motor. I've tried. the car has so much tq that you can idle up a hill in 4th gear...and it will not stall. that..is tq. :nod:

Some of the neat features, oil pan baffles, trap doors ect. There is no oil pickup tube, it takes it right from the bottom of the pan that is hallow. The intake mani is made of Magnisium. If the viper motor was a V8 it would be close to 390cid. The "V" is 90 degrees....um...that all I can think of right now. Hope that helps. Even with me...a shity drag racer. I pulled a 12.4@118 w/2.2 60ft time. Some guys have pulled 11.8@120mph w/1.8 60ft. The biggest issue with the viper. Is getting all that tq to the ground....and that's not a bad issue to have. :wink:

I don't recall who I got the dyno sheet from...but it wasn't mine.

#5 ·
The durability testing at Chrysler for the Viper had a V10 doing 300 consecutive hours at wide-open-throttle on an engine dyno... Other than Porsche, I doubt many import engines would fare well in that kind of test... They'd be lucky to make 40 hours and survive. This is where it's hard to beat a push-rod low BHP/liter engine. They just keep on going like the Energizer Bunny.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.