any Canadians bring a Viper over the border? - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Chat · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen I & II Discussions of Viper-related subjects covering Gen-I and Gen-II models.

any Canadians bring a Viper over the border?

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

any Canadians bring a Viper over the border?
Old February 16th, 2013, 08:53 PM   #1
n00b

kamkuda is unremarkable with 10 points
Exclamation any Canadians bring a Viper over the border?

Vipers seem to be a good deal less expensive in the States. Anyone brought one over?

Suggestions?

Cheers Rob
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 16th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #2

Darth Menace  with -266 pointsDarth Menace  with -266 pointsDarth Menace  with -266 points
i brought an ebay viper from USA into canada. ask away...

it was stressful to me, but not worth it

Old February 16th, 2013, 09:43 PM   #3
n00b

elevatorgts is a B-Teamer with 102 pointselevatorgts is a B-Teamer with 102 points
Yes a buddy did.. 04 SRT ..not that hard as long as a CLEAN title.. no rebuilds or salvage.. u can bring them.. but a paper work nightmare.. check the goverment website on importing cars

Old February 16th, 2013, 09:50 PM   #4

Darth Menace  with -266 pointsDarth Menace  with -266 pointsDarth Menace  with -266 points
dude...ask any questions you have, but keep every piece of paper you have so you can throw it on the customs desk

Old February 17th, 2013, 01:21 AM   #5

BigPZ made Varsity with 1324 pointsBigPZ made Varsity with 1324 pointsBigPZ made Varsity with 1324 pointsBigPZ made Varsity with 1324 pointsBigPZ made Varsity with 1324 pointsBigPZ made Varsity with 1324 pointsBigPZ made Varsity with 1324 pointsBigPZ made Varsity with 1324 pointsBigPZ made Varsity with 1324 pointsBigPZ made Varsity with 1324 points
I did...read my posts for more details about my car, or PM me about specifics. I bought mine Jan 11 of this year - It was in my garage 7 days later. Good Luck!

Check the RIV (Registrar of Imported Vehicles) website first regarding vehicles which qualify for importation. Pre '97 Vipers dont appear on the list of available options for some reason?? I know of some guys who did import '92-'96 cars, but I believe more work is involved. RIV will require an inspection once the car has landed in Canada regardless of age. I only ended up paying shipping/brokerage + storage fees (joke - $25 per day in a "secured" outdoor US Customs lot) - snow shit all over my car... General Sales Tax at the boarder, then Provincial Sales Tax equivalent at "DMV" (ministry) in exchange for plates and CAD ownership (Title) docs.

Like I said, PM me for details.

Last edited by BigPZ; February 17th, 2013 at 02:15 AM.

Old February 17th, 2013, 06:54 AM   #6

Dirtysocks is not afraid of bears with 17275 pointsDirtysocks is not afraid of bears with 17275 pointsDirtysocks is not afraid of bears with 17275 pointsDirtysocks is not afraid of bears with 17275 pointsDirtysocks is not afraid of bears with 17275 pointsDirtysocks is not afraid of bears with 17275 pointsDirtysocks is not afraid of bears with 17275 pointsDirtysocks is not afraid of bears with 17275 pointsDirtysocks is not afraid of bears with 17275 pointsDirtysocks is not afraid of bears with 17275 pointsDirtysocks is not afraid of bears with 17275 points
Send a message via MSN to Dirtysocks
I have a GTS I may sell you.

Old February 17th, 2013, 08:42 AM   #7

Dohhunter is not afraid of bears with 42189 pointsDohhunter is not afraid of bears with 42189 pointsDohhunter is not afraid of bears with 42189 pointsDohhunter is not afraid of bears with 42189 pointsDohhunter is not afraid of bears with 42189 pointsDohhunter is not afraid of bears with 42189 pointsDohhunter is not afraid of bears with 42189 pointsDohhunter is not afraid of bears with 42189 pointsDohhunter is not afraid of bears with 42189 pointsDohhunter is not afraid of bears with 42189 pointsDohhunter is not afraid of bears with 42189 points
Send a message via MSN to Dohhunter
Yes, I brought one over in 2005 and it was painless. RIV, inspected at Canadian tire and the only part I had to install was the DRL module I ordered from Chrysler.

Any Canadians interested in a set of 19/20 Iforged with tires (345 on back) black centers and polished lips?

Old February 17th, 2013, 10:57 AM   #8

Dirtysocks is not afraid of bears with 17275 pointsDirtysocks is not afraid of bears with 17275 pointsDirtysocks is not afraid of bears with 17275 pointsDirtysocks is not afraid of bears with 17275 pointsDirtysocks is not afraid of bears with 17275 pointsDirtysocks is not afraid of bears with 17275 pointsDirtysocks is not afraid of bears with 17275 pointsDirtysocks is not afraid of bears with 17275 pointsDirtysocks is not afraid of bears with 17275 pointsDirtysocks is not afraid of bears with 17275 pointsDirtysocks is not afraid of bears with 17275 points
Yes me.

Old February 17th, 2013, 09:48 PM   #9

you dont even need to order the module from Dodge. The one in some caravan's are the identical part number, so i went and snagged one from a Caravan at the wreckers for $10. They want $200+ for that module from Dodge

Old February 18th, 2013, 08:06 AM   #10
n00b

spikeone is unremarkable with 10 points
1. Buy car
2. Send Title copy to US border 3 days ahead of passing
3. Show Proof of Purchase/Title at US border, fill out paperwork
4. Pass border to Canadian, stop, fill more paperwork
5. Make sure car has DRL or get module from scrapyard from a Neon/Caravan/Whatever
6. Call Canadian Tires to get Provincial/Federal inspections done
7. Register car and drive it

A few google searches will explain parts in better details but this is pretty much how it went when I bought mine.

Old March 6th, 2013, 09:57 PM   #11
n00b

ronf is unremarkable with 10 points
I just brought one over. it is a 2001. It was very easy. send CLEAR and CLEAN title and PAID bill of sale to USA side of border you are going to cross. Border will give you a form 1 after you pay GST. Then send recall letter and info on form 1 to RIV. RIV will send you form to goto nearest Canadian tire. Oh by the way you will have to buy the DRL relay from dodge to comply with RIV rules. Then you go get an out of province inspection...then you register the car......sounds compicated but it really is not. Border took 20 mins....C tire took 10 mins and the $204 fee for RIV. the out of province cost $119 and took 3 hours. The relay is about 200 at dodge....or you can try to install universal one which i dont recommend. Make sure to buy a non accident one or not a salvage one...because that is when nightmares occur. Good luck. make sure to car fax the car to know its history.

Old March 7th, 2013, 09:40 AM   #12
n00b

spikeone is unremarkable with 10 points
Quote:
The relay is about 200 at dodge
or just hit up local junkyard and get one from a similar year Neon/Caravan/Dakota

cost me 2$

Old March 7th, 2013, 10:57 AM   #14

AndyMac is not afraid of bears with 2521 pointsAndyMac is not afraid of bears with 2521 pointsAndyMac is not afraid of bears with 2521 pointsAndyMac is not afraid of bears with 2521 pointsAndyMac is not afraid of bears with 2521 pointsAndyMac is not afraid of bears with 2521 pointsAndyMac is not afraid of bears with 2521 pointsAndyMac is not afraid of bears with 2521 pointsAndyMac is not afraid of bears with 2521 pointsAndyMac is not afraid of bears with 2521 pointsAndyMac is not afraid of bears with 2521 points
Hrm, nobody mentioned the letter from Dodge stating all the safety recalls have been done. I haven't imported a Dodge, but the other cars I have imported needed this letter. It has to come from the US automaker, and GM charged me 175 bucks for the letter for the Vette. (Can't remember what Nissan charged..)

It seems daunting at first, but it really isn't too hard, just be very thorough with your paperwork.

Also, the C5 we had years ago had a REBUILT title and there was no issue bringing it across, so unless something has changed, it shouldn't be an issue.

Old March 7th, 2013, 11:01 AM   #15

AndyMac is not afraid of bears with 2521 pointsAndyMac is not afraid of bears with 2521 pointsAndyMac is not afraid of bears with 2521 pointsAndyMac is not afraid of bears with 2521 pointsAndyMac is not afraid of bears with 2521 pointsAndyMac is not afraid of bears with 2521 pointsAndyMac is not afraid of bears with 2521 pointsAndyMac is not afraid of bears with 2521 pointsAndyMac is not afraid of bears with 2521 pointsAndyMac is not afraid of bears with 2521 pointsAndyMac is not afraid of bears with 2521 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPZ View Post
..... Pre '97 Vipers dont appear on the list of available options for some reason?? I know of some guys who did import '92-'96 cars, but I believe more work is involved.
Cars that are 15 years or older do NOT need to comply with the safety standards, and is why you don't see them listed. I also believe you don't need to take it to Canadian tire either if it is older than 15 years since all C-tire does is check to make sure it has child restraints, DRL's, etc.

Old March 7th, 2013, 12:02 PM   #16

I have brought in 3 cars this year and no letters were needed, all were American cars though.

Old March 7th, 2013, 01:10 PM   #17

BigPZ made Varsity with 1324 pointsBigPZ made Varsity with 1324 pointsBigPZ made Varsity with 1324 pointsBigPZ made Varsity with 1324 pointsBigPZ made Varsity with 1324 pointsBigPZ made Varsity with 1324 pointsBigPZ made Varsity with 1324 pointsBigPZ made Varsity with 1324 pointsBigPZ made Varsity with 1324 pointsBigPZ made Varsity with 1324 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMac View Post
Cars that are 15 years or older do NOT need to comply with the safety standards, and is why you don't see them listed.
Ya...that makes sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtysocks View Post
I have brought in 3 cars this year and no letters were needed, all were American cars though.
I never required a letter either

Old March 7th, 2013, 03:04 PM   #18

i called my local dodge dealer and gave them the vin. they then faxed me a recall history form which stated there were no outstanding recalls
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.