Need Help Choosing a Viper - Page 3 - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Chat · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen I & II Discussions of Viper-related subjects covering Gen-I and Gen-II models.

Need Help Choosing a Viper

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old February 16th, 2013, 02:26 PM   #41
Enthusiast

nautoncall is a B-Teamer with 53 points
Just drove both 96 and 03.... Hmmm. I'll post later. Still on the road
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 16th, 2013, 02:28 PM   #42
Enthusiast

Just drove 03 and 96... Hmmm. Post later. On road

Old February 16th, 2013, 02:36 PM   #43

JohnnyLightning is not afraid of bears with 32410 pointsJohnnyLightning is not afraid of bears with 32410 pointsJohnnyLightning is not afraid of bears with 32410 pointsJohnnyLightning is not afraid of bears with 32410 pointsJohnnyLightning is not afraid of bears with 32410 pointsJohnnyLightning is not afraid of bears with 32410 pointsJohnnyLightning is not afraid of bears with 32410 pointsJohnnyLightning is not afraid of bears with 32410 pointsJohnnyLightning is not afraid of bears with 32410 pointsJohnnyLightning is not afraid of bears with 32410 pointsJohnnyLightning is not afraid of bears with 32410 points
Just took a shit. Hmmmm be back later.

Old February 16th, 2013, 03:41 PM   #44

Netko is not afraid of bears with 9932 pointsNetko is not afraid of bears with 9932 pointsNetko is not afraid of bears with 9932 pointsNetko is not afraid of bears with 9932 pointsNetko is not afraid of bears with 9932 pointsNetko is not afraid of bears with 9932 pointsNetko is not afraid of bears with 9932 pointsNetko is not afraid of bears with 9932 pointsNetko is not afraid of bears with 9932 pointsNetko is not afraid of bears with 9932 pointsNetko is not afraid of bears with 9932 points

The suspense is KILLING me. Who will he choose?

Maybe the OP should pitch this as a reality show?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Old February 16th, 2013, 08:15 PM   #45

BigPZ made Varsity with 1324 pointsBigPZ made Varsity with 1324 pointsBigPZ made Varsity with 1324 pointsBigPZ made Varsity with 1324 pointsBigPZ made Varsity with 1324 pointsBigPZ made Varsity with 1324 pointsBigPZ made Varsity with 1324 pointsBigPZ made Varsity with 1324 pointsBigPZ made Varsity with 1324 pointsBigPZ made Varsity with 1324 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnylightning View Post
just took a shit. Hmmmm be back later.
hahahaha!!

Old February 16th, 2013, 08:48 PM   #46
Enthusiast

Thanks for all the comments, even the smartass ones above.

Well, here's my uneducated/rookie critique of the cars. First I drove the 2003 SRT. It's red, stock. It was very clean, 15k miles. Upon starting it up, it had a very clunky deep growl, kind of even had a back and forth shimmy like an old big block. The shifter was very stiff and if I remember reading other post, I think I read others talking about this. Clutch was stiff and drive didn't engage until about out 3/4. With the salesperson in the car, we drove on normal streets before taking it out to the interstate. Wow, what power when hitting the acclerator in 2-4 gear. I was trying to take all this in but we got back to the dealership before I really got to get a feel for the car. I had just gotten out of two hour car ride in a Cadillac CTS so the Viper ride was very different. They got the car at an auction. They are a dealer that just deals in Exotic cars. It was checked out at the local Dodge Dealer with certified Viper Mechanic and I got the paperwork on what was done to it. Nothing major. Car fax and all was good.

Well, off to the other dealership about an hour away. This was the White/Blue 96 RT-10. It had been in the showroom with all pictures but they had it out when I was coming. The GM who I had been talking to on the phone was not there and another salesperson who I had initially contacted was there. He didn't know much about the car. He said no one had driven the car but the GM and used car manager. It was very clean, only 10K miles. It was all stock except the extra side stripes. When I asked this guy could I take it for a drive, he looked at me like, "are you serious". He said he would be right back. He finallly came back with the keys. He seemed scared to get in the car. This car didn't have the deep growl like the 2003. It idled very smooth compared to the 03. Shifting was very smooth and easy. Clutch seemed to engage earlier. Upon hitting the road, I think the salesman was scared we were going to damage the car. He didn't say one word the whole ride. He was so nervous that he made me nervous in the car. No interstate was nearby and trafffic was decent so I just go to get on it a couple times and power and acceleration was good. It didn't quite have the punch of the 03, but I actually thought the power was smoother. Besides the ride being stiffer and feeling every bump, it was quiter and smoother than the 03. The windows were off too. I liked the "look" of the RT as it looks "meaner" than the 03.

Well, they tried to sell it to me on the spot but I declined. Decent price difference between the 2 so it certainly was a nice car and I could certainly "make do" with it. I actually liked the raw unrefined car. I got them to put in the slide windows when we got back. I thought they were really cool, but I'm sure over time they might get old.

So, the other dealer had told me to come back after driving the RT if I wanted to drive the SRT. I called and said I would be there in an hour. When I got there she came out with the keys and said, "if you feel more comfortable without me with you, take it out and stay as long as you want". I was like..ummmmm yea sure. So, off I went. I stayed gone about 20 mins. I really tested the acceleration on the interstate. Wow, in 3 and 4th gear when you hit the accelerator, WOW. In stop and go traffic it's a much louder and rougher idling car than the 96. I have heard big blocks with "clunky" cams and this sounded like that. I think I read the Gen II were clunky, but this car was way lounder and deeper than the 96.

I also drove a V12 Ferrari 456 to compare. Both Viper were better.

Thank for reading and any comments are appreciated. No definate decision, but the power of the 03 was really impressive. Call me crazy, but I actually thought the ride of the 96 was better.

Old February 16th, 2013, 09:01 PM   #47

Netko is not afraid of bears with 9932 pointsNetko is not afraid of bears with 9932 pointsNetko is not afraid of bears with 9932 pointsNetko is not afraid of bears with 9932 pointsNetko is not afraid of bears with 9932 pointsNetko is not afraid of bears with 9932 pointsNetko is not afraid of bears with 9932 pointsNetko is not afraid of bears with 9932 pointsNetko is not afraid of bears with 9932 pointsNetko is not afraid of bears with 9932 pointsNetko is not afraid of bears with 9932 points

GTS... GTS... GTS...

But if you like the looks of the RT go with it. In my opinion, the 96 will hold its value better over the long run.

Old February 16th, 2013, 09:05 PM   #48
Smart Ass Dick

BlackSnake99 is not afraid of bears with 90138 pointsBlackSnake99 is not afraid of bears with 90138 pointsBlackSnake99 is not afraid of bears with 90138 pointsBlackSnake99 is not afraid of bears with 90138 pointsBlackSnake99 is not afraid of bears with 90138 pointsBlackSnake99 is not afraid of bears with 90138 pointsBlackSnake99 is not afraid of bears with 90138 pointsBlackSnake99 is not afraid of bears with 90138 pointsBlackSnake99 is not afraid of bears with 90138 pointsBlackSnake99 is not afraid of bears with 90138 pointsBlackSnake99 is not afraid of bears with 90138 points
Get the one you like better.

Old February 16th, 2013, 09:20 PM   #49
Enthusiast

Here's a picture of the 03. I assume these are aftermarket wheels? Also, the rears need replacing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2003 Viper.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	44945  

Old February 16th, 2013, 09:46 PM   #50
Enthusiast

jhills14 is a B-Teamer with 70 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netko View Post
Well I am up in Erie so I know how it sucks in PA during the winter. We are over 70" of snow this year.
Please tell me youre not out driving around this time of year?!?! But ya, you definitely understand.

We ought ta plan a meet with our neighbors this spring?

Old February 16th, 2013, 11:44 PM   #51

Hells no! It's been tucked away for the past few months plugged in on electrical life support.

Old February 17th, 2013, 10:59 AM   #52

JohnnyLightning is not afraid of bears with 32410 pointsJohnnyLightning is not afraid of bears with 32410 pointsJohnnyLightning is not afraid of bears with 32410 pointsJohnnyLightning is not afraid of bears with 32410 pointsJohnnyLightning is not afraid of bears with 32410 pointsJohnnyLightning is not afraid of bears with 32410 pointsJohnnyLightning is not afraid of bears with 32410 pointsJohnnyLightning is not afraid of bears with 32410 pointsJohnnyLightning is not afraid of bears with 32410 pointsJohnnyLightning is not afraid of bears with 32410 pointsJohnnyLightning is not afraid of bears with 32410 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautoncall View Post
Here's a picture of the 03. I assume these are aftermarket wheels? Also, the rears need replacing.
Holy crap man those are the ACR-X rims. Dude there was like only 3 pair ever made how did a set get on a 03 SRT?

Old February 17th, 2013, 03:02 PM   #53
Enthusiast

Hey I know what was paid at auction. What do I offer?? A friend of mine gave me the last months auction sales. This car sold two weeks ago. It has been checked by the local Dodge dealer. They were 10k overcost. They dropped to 6k over already. I want them to make a profit ( I'm a business owner myself) but what a fair profit.

Old February 17th, 2013, 04:59 PM   #54

BigPZ made Varsity with 1324 pointsBigPZ made Varsity with 1324 pointsBigPZ made Varsity with 1324 pointsBigPZ made Varsity with 1324 pointsBigPZ made Varsity with 1324 pointsBigPZ made Varsity with 1324 pointsBigPZ made Varsity with 1324 pointsBigPZ made Varsity with 1324 pointsBigPZ made Varsity with 1324 pointsBigPZ made Varsity with 1324 points
Wanting them to make a profit off you may be noble where you come from, but I say fuck that!! Lowball them bitches!! Clearly people aren't lined up to buy it if they already lowered the price by 4K...just my 2cents...

Old February 17th, 2013, 08:57 PM   #55
Enthusiast

They just got it on the lot 5 days ago. Was at the Dodge dealer getting checked out and some thiings fixed. Well, I know they spent $350 on inspection and another $400 for repairs. Well as a business owner who deals in retail, I know if I don't make a profit, I don't get to buy a Viper. Didin't know what might be "fair" or reasonable in the used car business.

Old February 19th, 2013, 12:19 AM   #56
Enthusiast

I dont think they are ACR-X rims from some pics I have looked at. I haven't found but a couple of 03's with these wheels. Were they a factory option?

Old February 19th, 2013, 12:23 AM   #57

1badvr4 is not afraid of bears with 4018 points1badvr4 is not afraid of bears with 4018 points1badvr4 is not afraid of bears with 4018 points1badvr4 is not afraid of bears with 4018 points1badvr4 is not afraid of bears with 4018 points1badvr4 is not afraid of bears with 4018 points1badvr4 is not afraid of bears with 4018 points1badvr4 is not afraid of bears with 4018 points1badvr4 is not afraid of bears with 4018 points1badvr4 is not afraid of bears with 4018 points1badvr4 is not afraid of bears with 4018 points
That was sarcasm...they are stock rims that have been painted/powder coated.

Old February 19th, 2013, 12:30 AM   #58
Enthusiast

Why do so many people have to make smartass comments on here? Sorry some of us are new to all this and just trying to learn. Hard to know people's personality from a post, but sometimes it comes across as someone being a dick and not just joking.

Old February 19th, 2013, 01:03 AM   #59

Curz is not afraid of bears with 14705 pointsCurz is not afraid of bears with 14705 pointsCurz is not afraid of bears with 14705 pointsCurz is not afraid of bears with 14705 pointsCurz is not afraid of bears with 14705 pointsCurz is not afraid of bears with 14705 pointsCurz is not afraid of bears with 14705 pointsCurz is not afraid of bears with 14705 pointsCurz is not afraid of bears with 14705 pointsCurz is not afraid of bears with 14705 pointsCurz is not afraid of bears with 14705 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautoncall View Post
Why do so many people have to make smartass comments on here? Sorry some of us are new to all this and just trying to learn. Hard to know people's personality from a post, but sometimes it comes across as someone being a dick and not just joking.

Old February 19th, 2013, 01:18 AM   #60

7TH_SIGN made Varsity with 876 points7TH_SIGN made Varsity with 876 points7TH_SIGN made Varsity with 876 points7TH_SIGN made Varsity with 876 points7TH_SIGN made Varsity with 876 points7TH_SIGN made Varsity with 876 points7TH_SIGN made Varsity with 876 points
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.