RSI: DIY Gen2 Twin Turbo Kit Install - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Chat · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen I & II Discussions of Viper-related subjects covering Gen-I and Gen-II models.

RSI: DIY Gen2 Twin Turbo Kit Install

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old February 3rd, 2013, 01:05 PM   #1
Enthusiast

scorch is definately JV with 348 pointsscorch is definately JV with 348 pointsscorch is definately JV with 348 pointsscorch is definately JV with 348 points

I’ve been going back and forth about making a build thread…I figured since I have yet to see a DIY install of the RSI Gen 2 turbo kit, I would do one. While I will not get into the specific details of all the components and specs, I will cover the basic install which is so easy a cave man could do it.

Before I start, I would like to give credit where it is due. Between Will, Paul, and Jeremy they have been class acts this whole time. I would never hesitate to do business with them again in the future. While the product might take a bit of time to receive, the quality and craftsmanship, labels and instructions have made this a no brainer DIY install. I would also like to thank Keith aka Hyph who I blame for all of this happening to me. As hard as I tried to stay away from modifying this car, Hyph gave me the nudge that pushed me off the cliff.

So to dive into the basics, here are some of the components of the kit I’m installing:
RSI Stage X Turbo Kit
RSI Stage 3 Fuel System
RSI Radiator
RSI Springs
T&D Rockers
3/8 pushrods
4in Side Exhaust

I have divided this install into 3 parts:
Cutting & Trimming
Turbo Kit Install
Fuel Kit Install

List of tools you’ll need:
An air compressor (at least 29 gallons)
Impact wrench
Air body saw
Hole saw arbor kit (3in & 1.75in)
3/8” npt tap & corresponding drill bit
I would say it has taken a little under 8 hours spent on my back, in the garage, to do all the cutting and to install the turbo kit components. Which in comparison to other projects I have had in the past, this has been a breeze and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend this to someone who likes to turn wrenches and might not have advanced mechanical skills that most people associate to DIY projects.

Bumper support modified

Cutting holes for piping

Intercooler mounted up (keep in mind this is not the intercooler I will be using, this is just a temp until Tuesday)

Holes cut into frame, oil pump mounted, oil feed and return lines ran

Holes cut in side sills

Intake off for capping pvc and changing thermostat

Last edited by scorch; February 3rd, 2013 at 01:19 PM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 3rd, 2013, 01:05 PM   #2
Enthusiast

scorch is definately JV with 348 pointsscorch is definately JV with 348 pointsscorch is definately JV with 348 pointsscorch is definately JV with 348 points
170 t-stat

Upgraded springs

Coated headers

Header and springs installed

Midpipe installed

Charge piping installed

Upgraded 3/8 heavy duty pushrods

Coated intake manifold and valve covers

Old February 3rd, 2013, 01:06 PM   #3
Enthusiast

more pics!

Twin Tial Q BOV are a true work of art and im happy RSI uses them as a standard component. (just a side note these flow almost 2x as much as the older 50mm tial)

this is a quick comparison between the old RSI base intercooler and the stage 3 (race) one offered. Please keep in mind RSI is releasing a new entry level intercooler so by the time this is posted it will be obsolete but i figured it would be nice to see the difference!
The new race intercooler is noticeably wider and is thicker (depth) which will affect just a little on how you trim the bumper support. nevertheless it was a quick 5 minute adjustment stepping up from the older entry level to race intercooler (figure this would be a good bit of info for any current owners looking to upgrade)

entry level thickness

race thickness

Let me restate why RSI is at the top of the market and why i believe this kit is currently the best on the market! not only is the price point perfect but the quality is second to none! The biggest thing is attention to detail and being able to install everything with basic tools without having to hack up the frame etc (keep in mind i dont mean to down anyone elses kit when i say hack up, but merely that for the average person that doesnt have the skill to cut and box up the frame to fit TT kit) Theres nothing that you have to sit there and figure out with this kit everything has been done for you and instructions with pictures do the job very well. for example below is a simple electrical connection i have had to do from scratch on some other projects i have done, while the actual task is relatively easy for me it still requires some electrical knowledge and research to build the a relay and make all the lines etc.. RSI takes care of that for you.

intercooler installed on the car

Bumper support on and everything fits like a glove (i would like to add the mount for the hood latch is awesome, while its really not a big deal its one less thing to think about)

stock radiator out awaiting arrival of the new RSI tripple pass (with the summer heat in the midwest i strongly recommend that if you're doing this tt install or any for that matter to address the engine cooling system)

more updates to come

Last edited by scorch; February 6th, 2013 at 12:52 AM.

Old February 3rd, 2013, 01:06 PM   #4
Enthusiast

space for more pics

Old February 3rd, 2013, 01:06 PM   #5
Enthusiast

and a little more space

Old February 3rd, 2013, 01:32 PM   #6

Hyph is not afraid of bears with 9007 pointsHyph is not afraid of bears with 9007 pointsHyph is not afraid of bears with 9007 pointsHyph is not afraid of bears with 9007 pointsHyph is not afraid of bears with 9007 pointsHyph is not afraid of bears with 9007 pointsHyph is not afraid of bears with 9007 pointsHyph is not afraid of bears with 9007 pointsHyph is not afraid of bears with 9007 pointsHyph is not afraid of bears with 9007 pointsHyph is not afraid of bears with 9007 points
Looks great man thanks for putting in the work.

Old February 3rd, 2013, 04:07 PM   #7

Disturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 18486 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 18486 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 18486 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 18486 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 18486 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 18486 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 18486 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 18486 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 18486 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 18486 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 18486 points
Stage X turbo system. Going with twin 88's?

Dig the crinkle coat on the intake and valve covers.

Last edited by Disturbed 01; February 3rd, 2013 at 05:27 PM.

Old February 3rd, 2013, 04:51 PM   #8

Speed SG is not afraid of bears with 2755 pointsSpeed SG is not afraid of bears with 2755 pointsSpeed SG is not afraid of bears with 2755 pointsSpeed SG is not afraid of bears with 2755 pointsSpeed SG is not afraid of bears with 2755 pointsSpeed SG is not afraid of bears with 2755 pointsSpeed SG is not afraid of bears with 2755 pointsSpeed SG is not afraid of bears with 2755 pointsSpeed SG is not afraid of bears with 2755 pointsSpeed SG is not afraid of bears with 2755 pointsSpeed SG is not afraid of bears with 2755 points
Awesome writeup, I'll definitely be staying tuned in to this build

Old February 4th, 2013, 09:20 AM   #9

utahviper made Varsity with 1341 pointsutahviper made Varsity with 1341 pointsutahviper made Varsity with 1341 pointsutahviper made Varsity with 1341 pointsutahviper made Varsity with 1341 pointsutahviper made Varsity with 1341 pointsutahviper made Varsity with 1341 pointsutahviper made Varsity with 1341 pointsutahviper made Varsity with 1341 pointsutahviper made Varsity with 1341 points
Looks great! Is there an upgrade to headers? Mine uses stock manifolds. Looking forward to seeing the results

Old February 4th, 2013, 09:54 AM   #10

mbccenter is not afraid of bears with 3656 pointsmbccenter is not afraid of bears with 3656 pointsmbccenter is not afraid of bears with 3656 pointsmbccenter is not afraid of bears with 3656 pointsmbccenter is not afraid of bears with 3656 pointsmbccenter is not afraid of bears with 3656 pointsmbccenter is not afraid of bears with 3656 pointsmbccenter is not afraid of bears with 3656 pointsmbccenter is not afraid of bears with 3656 pointsmbccenter is not afraid of bears with 3656 pointsmbccenter is not afraid of bears with 3656 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by utahviper View Post
Looks great! Is there an upgrade to headers? Mine uses stock manifolds. Looking forward to seeing the results
That is a stock manifold in the pic.

Old February 4th, 2013, 10:18 AM   #11

Alkybanshee is not afraid of bears with 8138 pointsAlkybanshee is not afraid of bears with 8138 pointsAlkybanshee is not afraid of bears with 8138 pointsAlkybanshee is not afraid of bears with 8138 pointsAlkybanshee is not afraid of bears with 8138 pointsAlkybanshee is not afraid of bears with 8138 pointsAlkybanshee is not afraid of bears with 8138 pointsAlkybanshee is not afraid of bears with 8138 pointsAlkybanshee is not afraid of bears with 8138 pointsAlkybanshee is not afraid of bears with 8138 pointsAlkybanshee is not afraid of bears with 8138 points
Great thread!

Old February 4th, 2013, 12:37 PM   #12
Enthusiast

Thanks for the support guys more pics to come tommorow!

Old February 4th, 2013, 12:47 PM   #13

Anarchy99 is not afraid of bears with 4165 pointsAnarchy99 is not afraid of bears with 4165 pointsAnarchy99 is not afraid of bears with 4165 pointsAnarchy99 is not afraid of bears with 4165 pointsAnarchy99 is not afraid of bears with 4165 pointsAnarchy99 is not afraid of bears with 4165 pointsAnarchy99 is not afraid of bears with 4165 pointsAnarchy99 is not afraid of bears with 4165 pointsAnarchy99 is not afraid of bears with 4165 pointsAnarchy99 is not afraid of bears with 4165 pointsAnarchy99 is not afraid of bears with 4165 points
Send a message via AIM to Anarchy99
Looks great man, cannot wait for mine to get done as well... like the look of those coated headers with the coated manifold and covers.

Old February 6th, 2013, 12:52 AM   #14
Enthusiast

updates in post 2

Old February 23rd, 2013, 12:03 PM   #15
Enthusiast

it wont let me edit previous post so I'll just add it to this post. car is completed but i just havent had a lot of time to go through all the pics and post up. i will update with more pics and vids next week hopefully. thanks for looking

Precision 46mm Wastegates

T&D Rockers

Driver’s side wastegate on

Passenger side wastegate on

Ground clearance with dumps and pump etc…

T&D Rockers installed

Old February 23rd, 2013, 12:04 PM   #16
Enthusiast

Fuel System laid out

Fuel rails and intake pipes test fitted.

Howe radiator new vs old. Keep in mind no hardware comes with radiator so u will need new bolts for fan attachment, and fittings for drain and overflow.

RSI triple pump setup! Freaking work of art! Best fuel system on the market hands down!

All went in with ease!

Ran lines.. keep in mind it makes it a ton easier to half way loosen the fender tub area.

Lines runs down the trans tunnel.

Pump wiring all done. It was literally drop in nothing to think about.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 12:04 PM   #17
Enthusiast

Manifold and rail in test fit along with charge piping

Fuel system complete took a total of 2.5hrs to install. I did add a fuel pressure guage to the fuel rail to make it easier when working on engine and or debugging issues .

Fuel Pressure regulator mounted

Boost controller mounted and equal length lines ran and T’d for both pressure side and top wastegate side

Old February 23rd, 2013, 12:48 PM   #18

Anarchy99 is not afraid of bears with 4165 pointsAnarchy99 is not afraid of bears with 4165 pointsAnarchy99 is not afraid of bears with 4165 pointsAnarchy99 is not afraid of bears with 4165 pointsAnarchy99 is not afraid of bears with 4165 pointsAnarchy99 is not afraid of bears with 4165 pointsAnarchy99 is not afraid of bears with 4165 pointsAnarchy99 is not afraid of bears with 4165 pointsAnarchy99 is not afraid of bears with 4165 pointsAnarchy99 is not afraid of bears with 4165 pointsAnarchy99 is not afraid of bears with 4165 points
Send a message via AIM to Anarchy99
Looking good keep up the good work man!

Old February 23rd, 2013, 05:10 PM   #19

WDW MKR is kissing alot of ass around here with 466 pointsWDW MKR is kissing alot of ass around here with 466 pointsWDW MKR is kissing alot of ass around here with 466 pointsWDW MKR is kissing alot of ass around here with 466 pointsWDW MKR is kissing alot of ass around here with 466 points
Not sure if it's an issue for you, and it's hard to tell the exact spacing in that pic, but I think NHRA rules require the FPR to be at least 6" off the firewall. Just FYI in case you plan on hitting the track. Some folks ignore it and just mount straight to the firewall for ease of installation and cleanliness of plumbing.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 05:19 PM   #20

Disturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 18486 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 18486 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 18486 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 18486 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 18486 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 18486 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 18486 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 18486 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 18486 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 18486 pointsDisturbed 01 is not afraid of bears with 18486 points
Looks good. Get some miles on it them strap it to a dyno, wonder what it will do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.