Almost stalls on cold start, then runs fine????? - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Chat · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen I & II Discussions of Viper-related subjects covering Gen-I and Gen-II models.

Almost stalls on cold start, then runs fine?????

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Almost stalls on cold start, then runs fine?????
Old January 23rd, 2013, 01:01 PM   #1
n00b

99vipersnake is unremarkable with 10 points
Question Almost stalls on cold start, then runs fine?????

Hey guys. New to the forum and already have a question. I have a 99 roadster with ~30k miles. I have this issue when I start it cold (let it sit overnight) and start the car, the rpms will drop down to where it will almost stall (it has also stalled at times), and then they will immediately jump back up, and everything is normal. No issues at all after this, drives normally, idles normally...It does this every time I start it cold. I've cleaned the IAC and tested the pin inside (it came out when I turned the ignition on, but I couldn't turn it back by hand, so I reinstalled it, and it wound itself back in), tested the TPS voltage, and installed a brand new battery. Could it still be the IAC, even though it looks to be working fine, and it's idling fine after start up?
What else could cause these symptoms? Vacume leak, map sensor, temp sensor (how can I test these sensors)? I have no error codes. Car runs perfectly after start up, it's just this low rpm hickup which is kind of annoying...
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 23rd, 2013, 01:19 PM   #2

scottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 2941 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 2941 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 2941 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 2941 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 2941 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 2941 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 2941 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 2941 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 2941 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 2941 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 2941 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99vipersnake View Post
Hey guys. New to the forum and already have a question. I have a 99 roadster with ~30k miles. I have this issue when I start it cold (let it sit overnight) and start the car, the rpms will drop down to where it will almost stall (it has also stalled at times), and then they will immediately jump back up, and everything is normal. No issues at all after this, drives normally, idles normally...It does this every time I start it cold. I've cleaned the IAC and tested the pin inside (it came out when I turned the ignition on, but I couldn't turn it back by hand, so I reinstalled it, and it wound itself back in), tested the TPS voltage, and installed a brand new battery. Could it still be the IAC, even though it looks to be working fine, and it's idling fine after start up?
What else could cause these symptoms? Vacume leak, map sensor, temp sensor (how can I test these sensors)? I have no error codes. Car runs perfectly after start up, it's just this low rpm hickup which is kind of annoying...
big engine, cold start, normal.

Old January 23rd, 2013, 01:40 PM   #3
n00b

Is that really normal? I've had other cars with big engines (not 8 liters, mind you), and all of them started normally, even when cold...

Old January 23rd, 2013, 02:09 PM   #4

Curz is not afraid of bears with 14989 pointsCurz is not afraid of bears with 14989 pointsCurz is not afraid of bears with 14989 pointsCurz is not afraid of bears with 14989 pointsCurz is not afraid of bears with 14989 pointsCurz is not afraid of bears with 14989 pointsCurz is not afraid of bears with 14989 pointsCurz is not afraid of bears with 14989 pointsCurz is not afraid of bears with 14989 pointsCurz is not afraid of bears with 14989 pointsCurz is not afraid of bears with 14989 points
mine never does that. It actually runs best cold - as far as idle RPMs

Old January 23rd, 2013, 02:13 PM   #5

scottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 2941 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 2941 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 2941 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 2941 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 2941 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 2941 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 2941 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 2941 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 2941 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 2941 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 2941 points
mine did the same thing when i was stock and not tt.. it still does it tt.

it probably has to do with the Idle Air Control ... possibly

Old January 23rd, 2013, 02:31 PM   #6
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curz View Post
mine never does that. It actually runs best cold - as far as idle RPMs
well. mine idles great as well, it's just right after cranking, the engine really bogs down, quickly recovers, and then everythings hunky dory. It all takes about 1-2 seconds. I have no other symptoms except for this particular starting issue.

Old January 23rd, 2013, 05:40 PM   #7

Netko is not afraid of bears with 10632 pointsNetko is not afraid of bears with 10632 pointsNetko is not afraid of bears with 10632 pointsNetko is not afraid of bears with 10632 pointsNetko is not afraid of bears with 10632 pointsNetko is not afraid of bears with 10632 pointsNetko is not afraid of bears with 10632 pointsNetko is not afraid of bears with 10632 pointsNetko is not afraid of bears with 10632 pointsNetko is not afraid of bears with 10632 pointsNetko is not afraid of bears with 10632 points
Have you changed the plugs and wires? That is what needs to be done at the 30k mark.

Old January 23rd, 2013, 06:22 PM   #8
n00b

no, but wouldn't the engine run/idle rough during normal driving conditions, if the plugs/wires are bad? Engine only briefly bogs down when it's been sitting for several hours. I've considered the fuel pump, but I've tried priming the fuel lines by turning the ignition off and on before cranking, and it does the same thing...

Old January 23rd, 2013, 06:25 PM   #9

dave6666 is not afraid of bears with 14422 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 14422 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 14422 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 14422 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 14422 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 14422 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 14422 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 14422 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 14422 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 14422 pointsdave6666 is not afraid of bears with 14422 points
With mine it was the tune. But if you are running the factory tune then the other stuff that was said. Plugs, wires, O2 sensors, IAC, blah blah.

Old January 23rd, 2013, 08:53 PM   #10

1.8t hangs with the Hiddens with 713 points1.8t hangs with the Hiddens with 713 points1.8t hangs with the Hiddens with 713 points1.8t hangs with the Hiddens with 713 points1.8t hangs with the Hiddens with 713 points1.8t hangs with the Hiddens with 713 points1.8t hangs with the Hiddens with 713 points
Mine has never done that before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.