How to install catch can - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Chat · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen I & II Discussions of Viper-related subjects covering Gen-I and Gen-II models.

How to install catch can

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

How to install catch can
Old January 15th, 2013, 11:24 PM   #1

2002_red_gts is not afraid of bears with 3213 points2002_red_gts is not afraid of bears with 3213 points2002_red_gts is not afraid of bears with 3213 points2002_red_gts is not afraid of bears with 3213 points2002_red_gts is not afraid of bears with 3213 points2002_red_gts is not afraid of bears with 3213 points2002_red_gts is not afraid of bears with 3213 points2002_red_gts is not afraid of bears with 3213 points2002_red_gts is not afraid of bears with 3213 points2002_red_gts is not afraid of bears with 3213 points2002_red_gts is not afraid of bears with 3213 points
How to install catch can

So my Jmb intake does not have bungs on intake tubes so ill be running a catch can. My question is if I run a catch can and tee both valve covers in to one hose can what do I do with the PVC valve? Since the PVC valve tees into the valve covers Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAG Free1358313887.847006.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	44695

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 16th, 2013, 08:48 AM   #2
Finger Licken Good

Mister Bone is not afraid of bears with 15598 pointsMister Bone is not afraid of bears with 15598 pointsMister Bone is not afraid of bears with 15598 pointsMister Bone is not afraid of bears with 15598 pointsMister Bone is not afraid of bears with 15598 pointsMister Bone is not afraid of bears with 15598 pointsMister Bone is not afraid of bears with 15598 pointsMister Bone is not afraid of bears with 15598 pointsMister Bone is not afraid of bears with 15598 pointsMister Bone is not afraid of bears with 15598 pointsMister Bone is not afraid of bears with 15598 points
Since you want to keep anything from entering the intake tract, I would install a can between engine grommet and the "T".
Keep can below level of where the two lines enter intake manifold as oil does not like to "run" uphill.

Old January 16th, 2013, 08:52 AM   #3

ViperTony is not afraid of bears with 16678 pointsViperTony is not afraid of bears with 16678 pointsViperTony is not afraid of bears with 16678 pointsViperTony is not afraid of bears with 16678 pointsViperTony is not afraid of bears with 16678 pointsViperTony is not afraid of bears with 16678 pointsViperTony is not afraid of bears with 16678 pointsViperTony is not afraid of bears with 16678 pointsViperTony is not afraid of bears with 16678 pointsViperTony is not afraid of bears with 16678 pointsViperTony is not afraid of bears with 16678 points
What bone said. I use two cans, one to catch the valve covers and one to catch the CCV. I have DIY's on both on the vca site. I think you can find some pics in my creampuff na build thread there. I catch nothing from the valve covers. Catch mostly from the CCV. The can is mounted on the crossbrace and it's inline with the CCV. Basically, I take the hose from the CCV and run it to the can and run a return hose from the can to the intake. For the valve covers, I use the breather system from A&C Performance but I really don't need it and on my setup it's mostly for looks. I'll post some pics tonight.

Last edited by ViperTony; January 16th, 2013 at 09:01 AM.

Old January 16th, 2013, 09:07 AM   #4

scottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 2991 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 2991 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 2991 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 2991 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 2991 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 2991 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 2991 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 2991 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 2991 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 2991 pointsscottyitsk is not afraid of bears with 2991 points
My catch can is mounted right dead center on the engine support bar in the front of the engine bay... i would suggest taking your valve covers off and tapping the for a -8 or -6 an fitting... i believe i used -6 an fitting and stainless steel lining for mine. also make sure the can sits believe valve cover level. i tapped both my valve covers... and t'ed them into one line.. to my single catch can..

the catch can i have, has a release valve on the bottom.. which makes draining a piece of cake.. ill tell you what... the shit that comes out of this catch can is disgusting. glad its not in my engine.

plus its also a good way to tell when ur oil is over saturated with fuel when you have a high hp monster... because when you drain... the fuel will come out first... then the oil will come out.. and float on the top of the fuel...

good luck!

Old January 16th, 2013, 11:43 AM   #5

2002_red_gts is not afraid of bears with 3213 points2002_red_gts is not afraid of bears with 3213 points2002_red_gts is not afraid of bears with 3213 points2002_red_gts is not afraid of bears with 3213 points2002_red_gts is not afraid of bears with 3213 points2002_red_gts is not afraid of bears with 3213 points2002_red_gts is not afraid of bears with 3213 points2002_red_gts is not afraid of bears with 3213 points2002_red_gts is not afraid of bears with 3213 points2002_red_gts is not afraid of bears with 3213 points2002_red_gts is not afraid of bears with 3213 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperTony View Post
What bone said. I use two cans, one to catch the valve covers and one to catch the CCV. I have DIY's on both on the vca site. I think you can find some pics in my creampuff na build thread there. I catch nothing from the valve covers. Catch mostly from the CCV. The can is mounted on the crossbrace and it's inline with the CCV. Basically, I take the hose from the CCV and run it to the can and run a return hose from the can to the intake. For the valve covers, I use the breather system from A&C Performance but I really don't need it and on my setup it's mostly for looks. I'll post some pics tonight.
I have a crankvent set up from ROE that mounts on the valve cover. So can i plug the 2 openings on the valve covers? then just run one catch for the CCV?

Old January 16th, 2013, 12:06 PM   #6

Paolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5450 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5450 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5450 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5450 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5450 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5450 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5450 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5450 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5450 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5450 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5450 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002_red_gts View Post
So my Jmb intake does not have bungs on intake tubes so ill be running a catch can. My question is if I run a catch can and tee both valve covers in to one hose can what do I do with the PVC valve? Since the PVC valve tees into the valve covers Attachment 44695

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Plug that hole in the top of the block with one of those rubber expansion plugs and run more like a -10 or -12 line off each valve cover to either a properly sized single catch can or two catch cans.

The whole idea of the catch can is to give an avenue for the crank case pressure to exit the engine.

Using a -6 or -8 is not maximizing the benefit of such a modification. The larger the hose ie -10 or -12, the slower the velocity of the exiting crankcase pressure gases and the lower the percentage of oil droplets that will get pushed out into the catch can, therefore less blow-by.

The lower the crankcase pressure, the less strain on the engine.

Old January 16th, 2013, 12:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo Castellano View Post
Plug that hole in the top of the block with one of those rubber expansion plugs and run more like a -10 or -12 line off each valve cover to either a properly sized single catch can or two catch cans.

The whole idea of the catch can is to give an avenue for the crank case pressure to exit the engine.

Using a -6 or -8 is not maximizing the benefit of such a modification. The larger the hose ie -10 or -12, the slower the velocity of the exiting crankcase pressure gases and the lower the percentage of oil droplets that will get pushed out into the catch can, therefore less blow-by.

The lower the crankcase pressure, the less strain on the engine.
After I read tonys build on the VCA i got a better Idea. Could I run one catch can off the CVV to the catch can then Tee it back into the 2 intake vaccum ports on the front of the intake so that it the engine can mantain manifold vacuum. Then one one catch can for the Valve covers by teeing them together to another catch can and have that catch can vent?

Old January 16th, 2013, 12:44 PM   #8

Paolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5450 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5450 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5450 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5450 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5450 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5450 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5450 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5450 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5450 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5450 pointsPaolo Castellano is not afraid of bears with 5450 points
Quote:
After I read tonys build on the VCA i got a better Idea. Could I run one catch can off the CVV to the catch can then Tee it back into the 2 intake vaccum ports on the front of the intake so that it the engine can mantain manifold vacuum. Then one one catch can for the Valve covers by teeing them together to another catch can and have that catch can vent?

For NA that will be fine.

For a turbo car, I recommend the way I posted.

Old January 16th, 2013, 07:26 PM   #9

Jack B hangs with the Hiddens with 733 pointsJack B hangs with the Hiddens with 733 pointsJack B hangs with the Hiddens with 733 pointsJack B hangs with the Hiddens with 733 pointsJack B hangs with the Hiddens with 733 pointsJack B hangs with the Hiddens with 733 pointsJack B hangs with the Hiddens with 733 points
Quote:
How about, capping the PCV, cap the two vacuum tubes (front) on the manifold and tie the valve covers into a single catch can with a single line. IMHO you do not want to tie anything into those two vacuum tubes, that is a direct route for contaminants into the manifold. If anyone tracks their car and does not use a catch can, the manifold runners will look like they are pure oily carbon. I did add a Roe breather on the valve cover to offset the closure of the PCV.

The blow-by is not the whole problem, if you track or autocross the car you will get quite a bit of oil flowing to the can, especially if you have the T&D rockers, they increase the oil flow to the top end. They are not designed that way, it is just a trait that accompanies the T&D's.

Last edited by Jack B; January 16th, 2013 at 07:48 PM.

Old January 17th, 2013, 11:28 AM   #10

ViperTony is not afraid of bears with 16678 pointsViperTony is not afraid of bears with 16678 pointsViperTony is not afraid of bears with 16678 pointsViperTony is not afraid of bears with 16678 pointsViperTony is not afraid of bears with 16678 pointsViperTony is not afraid of bears with 16678 pointsViperTony is not afraid of bears with 16678 pointsViperTony is not afraid of bears with 16678 pointsViperTony is not afraid of bears with 16678 pointsViperTony is not afraid of bears with 16678 pointsViperTony is not afraid of bears with 16678 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
How about, capping the PCV, cap the two vacuum tubes (front) on the manifold and tie the valve covers into a single catch can with a single line. IMHO you do not want to tie anything into those two vacuum tubes, that is a direct route for contaminants into the manifold. If anyone tracks their car and does not use a catch can, the manifold runners will look like they are pure oily carbon. I did add a Roe breather on the valve cover to offset the closure of the PCV.

The blow-by is not the whole problem, if you track or autocross the car you will get quite a bit of oil flowing to the can, especially if you have the T&D rockers, they increase the oil flow to the top end. They are not designed that way, it is just a trait that accompanies the T&D's.
I went the capped route once too. If going down this route, definitely cap the valve (I capped it on top of the block) with the intake removed otherwise it's a bitch to get to with the intake installed. One could also plug the line t-ing into the manifold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.