Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

Build Thread: RSI Twin Turbo Street Kit Install (Gen. 2)

31K views 250 replies 51 participants last post by  Anarchy99 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Many of the RSI turbo cars tend to be taken to shops to be installed or maybe someone has done one at home but not done too much documentation. I am doing the whole install with Disturbed01 in the garage like the kit was made for :) I want to document how the parts arrive and what they look like etc so everyone can see from beginning to end.

What we will be installing:

RSI Twin Turbo Street Kit ( This is our primary concern to document EMS/Gauges I will try and include as well )
67 Upgraded Turbos
Custom 3" Cat Back Exhaust (Thank you Tiff)
Will need custom connector pipe
AEM EMS
AEM Serial Datastream Gauges
Dual Pillar Pod (Thank you Blacksnake)
Raptor Shift Light

Tool List (Besides basic hand tools):
Air Compressor w/ accessories (Going to purchase, recommended)
Impact Wrench (Going to purchase)
Jack stands/Ramps (Owned)
Floor Jack (Owned)
Air Body Saw (Going to purchase, RSI recommended)
3.00 Hole Saw (Going to purchase, RSI REQUIRED)
1.75 Hole Saw (Going to purchase, RSI REQUIRED)
Hole Saw Arbor (Going to purchase, RSI REQUIRED)
3/8" NPT Tap and Corresponding Drill Bit (Going to purchase, RSI REQUIRED)

I can finally kick this off with some pictures, below is what I have received so far. Waiting on turbos, bovs, wastegates, fuel system, small stuff like second air filter and the AEM EMS:

See less See more
#217 ·
Fuel is also a cooling agent for the pumps. When running them in the triple hanger "head pressure" is through the roof in that small cavity their feeding. The pumps get super hot really fast. Keeping the tank at least half full keeps them submerged and able to stay cooler. I burnt up some aeromotive stealth pumps that way.

You don't think its a pain in the ass yet but having to fill up every 80-90 miles irritates the crap outta me especially when I run ethanol and have NONE near me. Have to fill up at home and bring some in the trunk so when i get to my destination I can top off again. These aren't Prius' that get 40mpg. Pump hanger needs some kind of baffling system around the pump "sitting" area to prevent sloshing or maybe even stuffing fuel cell foam in the tank.

#233 ·
You don't think its a pain in the ass yet but having to fill up every 80-90 miles irritates the crap outta me especially when I run ethanol and have NONE near me. Have to fill up at home and bring some in the trunk so when i get to my destination I can top off again. These aren't Prius' that get 40mpg. Pump hanger needs some kind of baffling system around the pump "sitting" area to prevent sloshing or maybe even stuffing fuel cell foam in the tank.

That really sounds like a pain in the Ass!, looks like you are a prisoner of Ethanol.
With your set up on pump + water meth I don't see why it would not make the same power, and you can fill up at every corner.

#234 ·
Only a prisoner because the motor is 12.2:1 compression....with boost on top of that compression ratio the ethanol is the cheapest option for me fuel wise.

Methanol/water injection just isn't something I am going to consider doing on this car...

#237 ·
This has been discussed ad nauseum.

The Viper tank is shallow and wide/long. It sloshes easily. No surge canister equals pickup issues. Even "appears to be properly working" surgeless systems still suck up air sometimes, which then gets metered into a cylinder as a lean burn sooner or later. Very poor systems have noticeable drivability issues some or all of the time. Proper surged systems are overlooked by most- OEM's use them for a reason, because they work 100% of the time, in all conditions, no excuses.

This is a matter of basic physics and logging to back it up, both of which are usually ignored and replaced with perceptions and/or stipulations that should not exist in the first place.

#238 ·
Yea would like to move on from this particular topic haha.

On another note trying to figure out what mods to do next for supporting! Thinking that it might be smart to do the springs, pushrods and the rockers (while I am in there) to be safe. It seems like everyone out there is scooping them up from Roe? I am sure RSI can get them as well..... anyone have anything for sale :)

#240 ·
All depends what valve length you are running, that changes the list of options drastically. Details?

I prefer beehive w/small steel retainers. Long lifespan, nearly as light or just as light as Ti depending on design, and tougher than Ti for the long haul. I do not subscribe to the "just run a bigger spring" philosophy, it only serves to wear everything out faster. Pick tough well engineered parts that are as light as possible without sacrificing strength, and then run just a little more spring than you actually need. Don't go big for the sake of going big. Big heavy springs need big heavy retainers need big heavy pushrods need big heavy rockers resulting in a big heavy valvetrain that needs big heavy springs... its a vicious circle.

#241 ·
Whatever OEM valve length would be, I have an untouched motor. Would like to shoot for whatever is safest and obviously reliable. With TT I'm not even thinking power gains haha, but would assume T&D or Crowed rockers are the main option in that respect? The other stuff I'm just not familiar with yet.

#242 ·
Josh,

We just did exactly what you want to do... springs, locks, pushrods and rockers.

I went with roe chromoly spings... and chromoly pushrods, paired with T&Ds.. the setup looks great.. getting retuned tomorrow because of the extra lift ill be achieving....

Note: Dont cheat with the pushrod length, buy roes pushrod measuring tool and get your cars exact new pushrod length with the t&d rocker arm.

Hit me up if you have any questions as the install is all fresh in my head.. took about 3 hours...

#247 ·
Well Javan (Scorch) hooked me up with a great deal on an extra set of CCW C14. I had them powder coated Satin Black and can now run a tire that should get me some traction. I only have this one picture as my car is pissing coolant and will be getting it to a lift soon.

#251 ·
I need a lift, I can't see anything under there even with the flashlight. I ordered all the gaskets for the timing cover and water pump and a water pump in case that is what it is. Hopefully its a bad hose clamp that would save me some money for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.