Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

Build Thread: RSI Twin Turbo Street Kit Install (Gen. 2)

31K views 250 replies 51 participants last post by  Anarchy99 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Many of the RSI turbo cars tend to be taken to shops to be installed or maybe someone has done one at home but not done too much documentation. I am doing the whole install with Disturbed01 in the garage like the kit was made for :) I want to document how the parts arrive and what they look like etc so everyone can see from beginning to end.

What we will be installing:

RSI Twin Turbo Street Kit ( This is our primary concern to document EMS/Gauges I will try and include as well )
67 Upgraded Turbos
Custom 3" Cat Back Exhaust (Thank you Tiff)
Will need custom connector pipe
AEM EMS
AEM Serial Datastream Gauges
Dual Pillar Pod (Thank you Blacksnake)
Raptor Shift Light

Tool List (Besides basic hand tools):
Air Compressor w/ accessories (Going to purchase, recommended)
Impact Wrench (Going to purchase)
Jack stands/Ramps (Owned)
Floor Jack (Owned)
Air Body Saw (Going to purchase, RSI recommended)
3.00 Hole Saw (Going to purchase, RSI REQUIRED)
1.75 Hole Saw (Going to purchase, RSI REQUIRED)
Hole Saw Arbor (Going to purchase, RSI REQUIRED)
3/8" NPT Tap and Corresponding Drill Bit (Going to purchase, RSI REQUIRED)

I can finally kick this off with some pictures, below is what I have received so far. Waiting on turbos, bovs, wastegates, fuel system, small stuff like second air filter and the AEM EMS:

See less See more
#191 ·
I will try not to haha. Had to park her for the weekend and order some new AB wires from Will. When we were on the dyno I lost plug wire #3 and actually made that power pull on a wire from a race mustang lol. To get home from GA they have me another wire but its an "L" shaped wire and I am assuming I am not even getting any spark now.

So hopefully the new wires get me going again, when I floor it in any gear it hits 4k rpm and pops just like it did on the dyno.

#192 ·
Would you be willing to go to Orlando Speed World or Brandeton Motorsports Park? When I get my car back, I'd like to see how it does. I know another member, Green Viper, is interested as well.

#195 ·
They are th AB wires and I did get them in along with spark plugs. Went out and it did the same shit, so I figured I would just get gas and park it until it could be diagnosed. Got the gas and tried it one last time and BOOM it's back. I honestly didn't know that fuel level played such a big role in the Viper at higher power levels with fuel system etc.

About 5 people told me I'm an idiot and never to WOT under 1/3-1/2 tank. So guess that's that.

#198 ·
Yea it is kind of annoying to spend all this money on a fuel system and have to worry about fuel level. But nature of the beast I guess, I come from high hp imports and never had an issue like that so it is new to me.

I have yet to take it back out again since the fill-up over the weekend, I just went and bought the Serial to USB cable so I program these AEM gauges to ensure everything is perfect.

#200 ·
I just went and bought the Serial to USB cable so I program these AEM gauges to ensure everything is perfect.
You think AEM would get on board with USB and have a straight cable.
When I called them about my car, I was looking for that cable, and the guy was like, all we do is Serial, and I was like, well that's nice, but no new computer has a serial port...

#201 ·
same here man, there was a discussion about it a while back on here. never had that problem on my cobra either, although I did use the stock fuel hat. I don't know if that's possible and would fix the problem or not on these cars. seems like someone could design one to work perfectly, just hasn't been done.....yet.

#205 ·
I have a dual EXTERNAL pump set up, however my pick up for the fuel was made at the bottom of the tank, no issues.

Originally on the Heffner set up with 1 external fuel pump the pick up for the pump was thru the top of the tank. Anything under 1/4 tank or close to it under load, the car would fall on its face.

#207 ·
The reason the aem V1 boxes aren't USB or even serial ported because the ecu's are mounted in the engine bay and subject to water. Our boxes are sealed from AEM from the elements so they only way to tap into the box is through the factory wiring harness which leaves the obd2 port all to use...

Yes if you open the box up you can jumper into the board but its not recommended or able to be kept like that permanently.

#210 ·
Its hitting exactly 4000rpms every time and backfiring? Sounds like a limiter is set on in the aem. If it was wires or plugs it would be doing it the entire pull. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge or wideband display? If the pumps were failing I could see it going very lean and thats causing the backfiring...possibly.

Yea the downside to the nice RSI triple hanger is the extreme amount of fuel it can push. Our tanks are perfectly flat on the inside and the pump is set dead center so when under half a tank it will starve the pumps and suck air. I put very large socks on mine to help alleviate it but still didnt really help. Also the RSI hanger is adjustable in height...if the shop didnt play with the height of the pumps it can create a further issue because their hanging higher in the tank then normal.

Oh the fun of modified cars:cursin:

#211 ·
The 4k backfire thing was a bad wire on the dyno. With the low fuel level it would just not really hit boost at all, it would start to spool and basically stop pulling which makes sense with no fuel. I never tried a full pull really as I could feel the stutter feeling immediately and let off.

I guess I will just keep it at 1/2 or more in the gas tank for now, I only drive her on the weekends anyways so it's not hard to keep the fuel in it.

#214 · (Edited by Moderator)
Kelly, since you mention it, I built the fuel system to be able to make 1200-1300 RWHP and to NOT have the exact problems that are being discussed in this thread....... In other words, it works EXACTLY like stock in terms of lower fuel levels......

It's already been done..... and has over 20K miles on one particular TT Viper. No magic, just common sense.......

If Will calls me nicely, I might be persuaded to divulge my secrets;)

Ball is in the court of the people who want to be able to drive their TT Vipers like stock!

#218 ·
Just had to respond since Dolly brought it up.

The empirical data is out there. If you think that it is acceptable to keep the fuel level above 1/4 tank to not have the problems listed above, or if guys want to make jokes about needing the extra fuel to hook up to avoid the limitations of this type of fuel pump setup that works well for sumped fuel tanks but is not well suited for flat bottom tanks. Not a knock on anybody's setup as this style of in tank fuel pump hangers started back in 2005-2006 starting with Heffner and UR back in the day as an effort to not have the noise and lack of reliability many of the external pumps exhibited. This way has some definite barriers to daily driveabilty as compared to stock.

I'm out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.