Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

New to Viper forum and Vipers

2K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  1badvr4 
#1 ·
Hello :) couldnt find a introduction thread so I just thought id stop in here. Im new to vipers in general and have been doing some more research on them. I would like it to be my next project car to keep for the next 15 years or so. Im hoping to learn from these forums who are the best tuner shops to go to for these cars in terms of restorations or performance upgrades.

#5 ·
Corning NY..its in between rochester, buffalo and syracuse. I wouldnt mind shipping the car out if need be..if there isnt anyone around here. I just want to make sure I can get this thing serviced and I dont end up with a car that I cant keep maintained. I would think any dodge dealership here could service a viper.

#9 ·
Well after I posted this I noticed it was in the wrong section. I saw the new members thing afterwards.

I really like the 96-02 GTS models. I think they look the best and I dont like roadsters or verts. Im seeing some on cars.com go for about 38-42k. The KBB value is sometimes higher or the same and my bank will finance the cars actual worth so it seems to be spot on.

Biggest fear is getting one thats been abused or tracked a lot. Seems like carfax can only tell you so much and many ppl decieve that pretty easily from the horror stories ive seen. Its a little intimdating but ill be patient and look around :)

#12 ·
I really like the 96-02 GTS models. I think they look the best and I dont like roadsters or verts. Im seeing some on cars.com go for about 38-42k. The KBB value is sometimes higher or the same and my bank will finance the cars actual worth so it seems to be spot on.
Ever been in an RT going 100 mph? May change your perspective ;)

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#13 ·
Nope lol. Im intrigued to hear more though. Im a complete noob. Ive always liked these but never thought id be in a position to afford one. So now that I am im starting to do a lot of research. The GTS just looked sportier to me thats all and less civilized lol.

#23 ·
I don't really consider the GenI and GenII RT10s as convertibles in the contempory sense. They're more of a targa really, as only the roof section comes off (plus the rear window), kinda like with the Corvette targas.

Good luck with your search! Out of interest, what car are you coming from?

#18 ·
I can always add forged pistons :)..I dont mind not having abs or forged internals im more concerned with landing a quality non beat up car. Theres some dealerships on cars.com and they would be btter than private seller unless its on this forum by a respected member?

#20 ·
Dealer or private sale, bring someone along who really knows these cars and knows what to look for be it an RT or GTS. If its a car made in 01 then ask about the water pump and if the plastic impeller has been replaced with a metal one. They were/are notorious for stripping and allowing the car to overheat.
As for Nitrous, skip it and go for the S/C to avoid the headaches of filling, purging, bottle heating ect.
And if you go S/C, go with a Paxton kit or better yet RSI is selling TT kits for 10K if that fits your budget with the car purchase. ;)

#19 ·
Dealerships are not always better than private sellers and just because they're on a forum doesn't mean shit either. Normally you can tell if a person takes care of a car by the way they present themselves. BJ motors is a good dealership for Vipers.

Adding forged pistons isn't that big of a deal but a good engine build will cost in the $10-15k region. Also check to make sure the frame recall has been done.

#21 ·
Welcome,
Im not sure your budget. I live in Rochester. There are 2 nice gts vipers for sale around here. One is a 98 gts silver 25k miles with basic mods: K&N and random tech high flow cats and cat back exhaust. He says the car is a 10 out of 10 and is asking $42k b/o. The second one is a 2000 black gts with 7500 miles on it. He says its stored in climate controlled garage. He does not have time to drive it anymore. Asking 45K for it. I am about a hour from viper specialtys and Dan tuned my viper. He is a great guy who knows his vipers.

#22 ·
Awesome rochester is 1.5 hrs away and I essentially write my own paycheck at work so my budget changes. Also my bank will finance the NADA value doesnt matter the year of the car. So I would need to see these cars in person and on paper to give to my bank to see what I can get. Ive already been approved for a 50k loan if I want it but it was for a 2013 camaro ZL1.

It looks like most ppl selling these things on cars.com are staying in line with KBB and nobody is really over pricing these.

I am going to send you a PM ok?

#24 ·
Ive had a couple different cars. I had a highly modified lancer evolution VIII but my most recent car was a 2011 corvette grand sport coupe.

Ive looked at some terminator cobras, some camaro ZL1's..I like the vipers a lot I wish I could afford a new one to have some piece of mind lol. My evo had some things wrong with it when I bought it and I ended up fixing way more than I should have had to. I really dont want that to happen again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.