Install Complete - Gen IV Seats into a Gen II - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Chat · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen I & II Discussions of Viper-related subjects covering Gen-I and Gen-II models.

Install Complete - Gen IV Seats into a Gen II

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old November 25th, 2012, 11:37 PM   #1

Jack B hangs with the Hiddens with 733 pointsJack B hangs with the Hiddens with 733 pointsJack B hangs with the Hiddens with 733 pointsJack B hangs with the Hiddens with 733 pointsJack B hangs with the Hiddens with 733 pointsJack B hangs with the Hiddens with 733 pointsJack B hangs with the Hiddens with 733 points

In an earlier post there was a lot of discussion on whether Gen IV seats would fit into a Gen II. I permanently installed the drivers seat today. Here are the details. Note, all the dimensions are for a 97 GTS and the seats were a 2008-2009.

Benefits and Issues

1. The seat can be installed so that the Gen IV seat bottom height is identical to the Gen II oem height, therefore, if your Gen II seat allows a helmet, so will the Gen IV seat when mounted properly.

2. The Gen IV oem track is used and maintains the adjustability. It is actually better than the Gen II, the adjusting increments are smaller, therefore, you can find the sweet spot easier.

3. The adjusting lever is a full bar in the front, therefore, easier to use. The adjustment lever for the seat back is on the side, also easier to use, although a little hard to access.

4. The support and looks of the Gen IV seat are superior.

Install:

1. The seat comes out easy, however you have to position it correctly. The bolts/nuts are both 13 MM. The front bolts are best removed with a ratcheting box wrench. The back nuts are easy to reach with ratchet and extension, just move the entire seat forward and the seat back forward also. Once you have the seat loose move the track until you have directly it under the seat, you do not want the track/brackets projecting out in the front or back. Next, push the seat entire seat forward and move the seat-back to the rear, go past 90 degrees, then, rotate the top of the seat toward the outside, it should come right out. It is probably a good idea to tape a piece of cardboard over the top of the sill kick plate.

2. Once the seat is out you have to remove the four brackets on the corners. The front brackets are held by a bolt and two seam welds. The rear brackets are held by two bolts and two seam welds. Remove the bolts and take a hand held cutoff tool/grinder with a thin cutoff wheel. The welds are not deep, groove them away from the track, then, use a chisel between the track and bracket to pop them off.

3. The Gen II floor studs in the rear are 13" apart. The Gen IV track center line is 13.5". The new adapters are simple, I made mine from 3/16" X 1-1/2" steel bar. A bench top cutoff wheel works real well for cutting them to size. Merely use the old bracket as a template for the position of the three holes (two in track/ one for floor) in the rear adapters. The front adapters will only have one hole/bolt into the track and one for the floor.

Here is the key, the right rear bracket should be mounted to the centerline of the track, however, you want the hole for the floor stud to be 1/4" off center to the right of the track. This pushes the seat to the left by 1/4", that is the sweet spot so that the track functions, it is tight and that was the key to making it work. Once you mount the right rear bracket, then, mount the left rear bracket. The next trick is to make the two holes used to mount the adapter to the track oversize, this allows you offset the bracket so the outer hole (for the floor) can be moved to the inside of the centerline - keep in mine the track centerline is 13.5" and the studs in the floor are are 13.0".

Put the seat back in the car, push the seat forward on the track. This exposes the rear adapters. Drop the adapters over the studs and screw both nuts on a couple of threads so the seat is loose, but, in position.

4. The front adapters are next. Cut the two front adapters at 4.5" long. There is only one bolt holding the adapter into the track. Since the seat front is loose, merely lift it up and and fasten the adapter to the track. Drop the seat and line up the adapter to the center of the floor hole. I took a bolt and cut the head off, ground the top to a point, then, threaded it into the floor hole while holding the front of the seat up. Just drop the seat down and the pointed head of the bolt will mark the adapter. Take the adapter off and drill the final hole when the the pointed bolt marked the adapter. Do the same to the second front adapter and you should be done.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 25th, 2012, 11:39 PM   #2

7TH_SIGN made Varsity with 1094 points7TH_SIGN made Varsity with 1094 points7TH_SIGN made Varsity with 1094 points7TH_SIGN made Varsity with 1094 points7TH_SIGN made Varsity with 1094 points7TH_SIGN made Varsity with 1094 points7TH_SIGN made Varsity with 1094 points7TH_SIGN made Varsity with 1094 points
Any pics. I was contemplating doing this before I decided to refinish the seats. Nice write up.

Old November 27th, 2012, 08:04 AM   #3
Enthusiast

GenIIJon is well liked with 162 pointsGenIIJon is well liked with 162 points
Thanks for posting the details on doing this.

Old November 27th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #4

Jack B hangs with the Hiddens with 733 pointsJack B hangs with the Hiddens with 733 pointsJack B hangs with the Hiddens with 733 pointsJack B hangs with the Hiddens with 733 pointsJack B hangs with the Hiddens with 733 pointsJack B hangs with the Hiddens with 733 pointsJack B hangs with the Hiddens with 733 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7TH_SIGN View Post
Any pics. I was contemplating doing this before I decided to refinish the seats. Nice write up.
I have the pics on the other site.

Old December 2nd, 2012, 03:25 PM   #5
Enthusiast

slowfrc is definately JV with 260 pointsslowfrc is definately JV with 260 pointsslowfrc is definately JV with 260 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
I have the pics on the other site.
Saw the pics over there. Those seats look cloth. I thought all viper seats were leather?

Old December 2nd, 2012, 08:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowfrc View Post
Saw the pics over there. Those seats look cloth. I thought all viper seats were leather?
those are 2008 Gen IV seats, I do not know what else to say.

Old December 2nd, 2012, 08:58 PM   #7

Speed SG is not afraid of bears with 2755 pointsSpeed SG is not afraid of bears with 2755 pointsSpeed SG is not afraid of bears with 2755 pointsSpeed SG is not afraid of bears with 2755 pointsSpeed SG is not afraid of bears with 2755 pointsSpeed SG is not afraid of bears with 2755 pointsSpeed SG is not afraid of bears with 2755 pointsSpeed SG is not afraid of bears with 2755 pointsSpeed SG is not afraid of bears with 2755 pointsSpeed SG is not afraid of bears with 2755 pointsSpeed SG is not afraid of bears with 2755 points
Nice write up

Old December 2nd, 2012, 09:50 PM   #8
Enthusiast

slowfrc is definately JV with 260 pointsslowfrc is definately JV with 260 pointsslowfrc is definately JV with 260 points
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
those are 2008 Gen IV seats, I do not know what else to say.
It's not that I don't believe you I just think it's amazing that they put cloth seats in some gen 4s. Even the gen 1s had leather seats I don't know why they'd go backwards.

Old December 3rd, 2012, 06:49 PM   #9
Enthusiast

ryans13 is definately a better person than you are with 424 pointsryans13 is definately a better person than you are with 424 pointsryans13 is definately a better person than you are with 424 pointsryans13 is definately a better person than you are with 424 pointsryans13 is definately a better person than you are with 424 points
Send a message via MSN to ryans13
those are srt4 neon seats that some one had a viper logo added to it, or they are custom covers, most neon seats have vinyl bolsters, and the acr neons have the plastic harness grommets.

i got a weird comment sent to me from some one, but maybe i m wrong about these seats. i ve saw alot of gen4 and gen3 seats, they only difference i have saw is stiching colors, black/blue/red/light grey. and the gen4 seats have a air bladder with pressure sensor to operate the aig bag system. gen3 and gen4 seats interchange, except for the electronics for the air bag system. I have never saw the snake head logo on the seats before from the factory, I have the option book at work for the gen4's and i ll check it out.

Do these seats have the pressure bladder and a gray oval plug on the bottom? gen3 just have a plug 2- wire white plug for the seat belt sensor, but gen4 have that and a multi wire grey oval plug.

oh and there is a light and dark suade insert.

there are some funny light tan colored seats on ebay right now i have never saw before in the cars so maybe you could just order them with what ever you wanted.

Last edited by ryans13; December 3rd, 2012 at 07:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.