DIY - Gen II Stoptech Big Brake Kit Install 1999 GTS ACR Non-ABS Front and Rear - Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper

Go Back   Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II
» Live Feed « · War Room · Graffiti Wall · Chat · Arcade · Viper Blogs ·  

Viper Discussions - Gen I & II Discussions of Viper-related subjects covering Gen-I and Gen-II models.

DIY - Gen II Stoptech Big Brake Kit Install 1999 GTS ACR Non-ABS Front and Rear

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old November 18th, 2012, 01:55 AM   #1
Enthusiast

DanDanLongDan is unremarkable with 10 points

So far fairly straight forward. Support car with jack stands. Remove wheels. 18mm socket to loosen top caliper bolt. Remove 18mm lower caliper bolt. Leave top 18mm bolt installed. Remove 15mm brake line bracket and tie up caliper. It rests with slack on floor so that step could be optional. Re-install 15mm brake line bracket bolt. I used some anti-seize to be safe.

Calipers came off with only minor wiggling. Rotors came right off by hand.

Next step is to clean/detail before carrying on to the next steps.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 18th, 2012, 01:57 AM   #2
Enthusiast

Spent some more time on it tonight. Used Simple Green and Brake and Parts Cleaner to clean up around the control arms and hub area.

Removed brake line and caliper with a 3/8" open end wrench. A pre-soak with penetrating fluid might have helped a little but I powered through without stripping them. A 13mm was used to remove the brake line mounting bracket. The 13mm was reused for the new brake line bracket.

Attaching the new caliper bracket was easy with a 10mm hex. Use the supplied Loctite.

Old November 18th, 2012, 01:58 AM   #3
Enthusiast

Finished the front big brake kit install tonight. Still have to bleed the brakes. I will bleed them after the rear kit is installed. Was extremely easy with basic tools. Spent more time taking pictures than installing.

Old November 18th, 2012, 01:59 AM   #4
Enthusiast

Old November 18th, 2012, 02:00 AM   #5
Enthusiast

These were the basic tools that I used.

Old November 18th, 2012, 02:01 AM   #6
Enthusiast

Decided to spend some more time and get the rears started.

Fairly straightforward up to this point on the rears. Next step is cutting of the ears. Measure once cut twice.

Old November 18th, 2012, 02:01 AM   #7
Enthusiast

Old November 18th, 2012, 02:02 AM   #8
Enthusiast

Cutting the ears/tabs was less dramatic than I thought it would be. Used a corded reciprocating saw. I didn't even put a new blade in. Used the one that was in it from before. Went smooth. I hand sanded the burrs off with 120 grit. I will grab a sander from work and remove the marks from the saw to clean up the edge nice. Overkill but if I don't it will probably bug me. I found that the saw was offset to one side so the blade has more clearance when cutting on the one side. Going to the opposite side I just cut upwards instead to give me the same clearance around the hub/lug nuts while cutting.

Old November 18th, 2012, 02:07 AM   #9
Enthusiast

[/URL][URL=http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/gg95/DanDanLongDan/1999%20Dodge%20Viper%20ACR/?action=view&current=DSC02336.jpg]

Old November 18th, 2012, 02:07 AM   #10
Enthusiast

[/URL]

Old November 18th, 2012, 02:09 AM   #11
Enthusiast

1999 Dodge Viper ACR Big Brake Kit Stoptech - YouTube

Old November 18th, 2012, 02:12 AM   #12
Enthusiast

[URL=http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/gg95/DanDanLongDan/1999%20Dodge%20Viper%20ACR/?action=view&current=DSC02347.jpg]

More progress tonight. Used a 3" air powered grinder with 36 grit to shave down the lower arm for clearance. Installed rear caliper bracket and park brake bracket. Rotate axle shaft slightly for better access to each 3/4" bolt as needed. Should have the rest completed in the next day or two.

Old November 18th, 2012, 02:12 AM   #13
Enthusiast

[/URL][URL=http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/gg95/DanDanLongDan/1999%20Dodge%20Viper%20ACR/?action=view&current=DSC02356.jpg]

Old November 18th, 2012, 02:13 AM   #14
Enthusiast

[/URL]

Old November 18th, 2012, 02:14 AM   #15
Enthusiast

]

Old November 18th, 2012, 02:15 AM   #16
Enthusiast

Back brakes are done minus the parking brakes. The parking brake relocates the stock calipers. They don't look as good as the new Stoptech calipers so I will take them to work, clean them up and refinish them to match. After that I will power bleed them with a MiteyVac. Full brake flush and fill with new fluid.

Old November 18th, 2012, 02:18 AM   #17
Enthusiast

Wrapped up the rear. Attached the parking brake assembly which is the old caliper switched from right to left and left to right. Cleaned up the old caliper and refinished it black. Pads were too thick and needed to be ground down. Wear a mask and do it outside if possible. Very dusty and it stinks. Everything else was straight forward. The Stoptech instructions were very helpful. The only fault would be the quality of images they use. They might be good in a pdf file but not when printed.

Just need to bleed. I'll pick up some brake fluid in the next day or two.

[URL=http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/gg95/DanDanLongDan/1999%20Dodge%20Viper%20ACR/?action=viewĄt=DSC02393.jpg]

Old November 18th, 2012, 02:19 AM   #18
Enthusiast

[/URL]

Old November 18th, 2012, 02:23 AM   #19
Enthusiast

]Finished up with the bleeding/flushing of the brakes and master cylinder. Cleaned out the clutch master cylinder as well. Glad I purchased the MiteyVac. Grabbed it from my Snap-On dealer. Simple to use and very effective.

Siphoned the old fluid out and then attached the vacuum end to the bleeders. Kept the master cylinder topped up. The kit cam with an auto fill but it didn't want to balance on the master cylinder so I just kept it topped up.

Was going good until I got to the front right caliper and found that it wasn't bleeding as if it had a blockage. Found the outer bleeder with some corrosion. Replaced it with an original bleeder and just pumped the brake pedal to clear whatever the blockage was. Bled fine after that.

Used about 1500ml total of DOT4 Mopar brake fluid.

Old November 18th, 2012, 03:17 PM   #20
Undercover Mod

Buddha is not afraid of bears with 199030 pointsBuddha is not afraid of bears with 199030 pointsBuddha is not afraid of bears with 199030 pointsBuddha is not afraid of bears with 199030 pointsBuddha is not afraid of bears with 199030 pointsBuddha is not afraid of bears with 199030 pointsBuddha is not afraid of bears with 199030 pointsBuddha is not afraid of bears with 199030 pointsBuddha is not afraid of bears with 199030 pointsBuddha is not afraid of bears with 199030 pointsBuddha is not afraid of bears with 199030 points
Thank's for taking the time to post this. I really like the Stoptechs too. Just got some for my Z06,and the quality seems top notch..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper » Viper Alley » Viper Discussions - Gen I & II

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Viper Alley - Dodge Viper Forum -SRT Viper forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.