Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

6060 swap into a Gen 2

10K views 42 replies 18 participants last post by  primedtsi 
#1 ·
I know some of you have done this. What exactly does it entail? I drove my car for the first time last night after the mile and I have some whine in 1st-3rd gear. I've been down this road before, I know what's coming. I have an extra t-56 out of a 2006 coupe that I could swap in, but I figure I might as well sell both t-56 trannys and step up to a 6060.

Also, if anyone has a line on a 6060, let me know. PM is fine.

Thanks,

Alk

#8 ·
We have done many of these swaps in gen 1, 2, and 3 vipers.

You'll need the tone wheel off your current transmission. SO, if your not familiar, youll have to pull the sensor out of the tailshaft and also remove the tailshaft housing.

Then you will need to drill out the case on the t6060 to accommodate the speed sensor you just pulled out. This will get the housing of the t6060 ready to bolt on. This is fairly easy and straight forward.

When you remove the tailshaft housing on BOTH transmissions, you will see that the gen 2 t56 has a small tone wheel on it which is what triggers your speed sensor. SOMETIMES you can get lucky and the t6060 will have it. If it does, your now ready to assemble. Most likely it doesnt. Therefor you will need to remove the tone wheel off the old transmission and install it onto the t6060 IN THE CORRECT position. If its not in the proper spot, you wont have a speedo! You need to use something to center the tone wheel on the shaft. Then it needs to be tig welded into place. If you need to see the correlation of how it lines up, remove the sensor from the stock t56 and get a light to take a look in while its assembled.

Once this is done, its re assembly time. Install the transmission back up.

Now you will need the gen 4 driveshaft so you can rob the yoke from it . This will need to be pressed out. Now press out the old yoke from your original driveshaft. Install the yoke from the t6060 into your gen 2 driveshaft.

Assemble and install. The shifter will be slightly farther to the pass side of the car. Not problematic at all.

Drastic improvement and well worth it. We have this trans behind several 1000rwhp cars.

Normally i dont have the time to do write ups, but fortunately im on a plane right now :)

Hope this helps you.

Todd A&C Performance

#17 ·
the 6060 is the best thing i have done to my car. Since TI, its been whining alot! LOL. I tend not to lift while shifting, and I dont think it liked that too much.

#19 ·
I think the noises coming from mine are from TI. Probably the downshifting. I didn't drive the car between TI and the mile and I only made 4 passes at the mile.

#23 ·
One more quick question, do ALL the gen 2 cars have the speedo pickup on the tail shaft? Or did it change in 2001 with the abs cars? I was told that since I have a 2001 I don't have to mess with the speedo issue in the tail housing?

#36 · (Edited)
The output shafts are the same size. The YOKE diameter however is NOT. You cannot swap tail housings either as the cluster shaft bearing is secured differently.

The gen4 drive shaft is about 1.5" longer. Just picked up my tr6060 and drive shaft on Wednesday. You would not believe HOW NICE this trans shifts out of the vehicle. I cant wait to feel it while driving.

The reluctor wheel is a different story. It does not fit very tight on the output shaft so I am curious how everyone is centering it up and keeping it true?

#37 ·
Just wanted to update this that I was wrong on the tail shaft seals being swappable. I edited my last post so if anyone searches later their wont be any confusion.:eek:

I completed the retro-fit of the gen 2 speed on my 6060. I had to create a shim to center the reluctor wheel on the smooth output shaft of the 6060. I put a few tack welds on each side as of course this wheel would need to be removed if the trans needs servicing. The housing was faily simple but you cannot recreate the sealing oring machined into the t56 tail housing. You need a drill bit that is .700" to get the perfect hole. I put some grey RTV on the sensor and the bolt to seal the sensor up.

Also a heads up the local parts stores to me do not have the correct listing on the tail shaft seal. This seems to be a dealer only item at the moment...

Ill throw some pics up later of the speedo retro-fit.

#38 ·
Pictures of the reluctor installation as promised.

Last picture is the part # for the rear seal from Dodge. This seal seems to be ONLY available from dodge @ ~$18.

Attachments

#39 ·
INSTALLATION NOTES -

First their are 2 tabs/ears coming off the passenger side of the trans right behind the sensor. They have to be cut down atleast a half inch or the trans will not fit up in the tunnel. They were contacting my passenger side tunnel frame and preventing it from coming in towards the motor any farther. Also when and if I have the trans out again I will probably be knocking a couple of the other tabs that are on the casing to ease installation. Most of those tabs are for the chevy bodied cars so their not needed in our application. The transmission is larger and longer so it takes some work to slide it up in the car.

Second the transmission mount must be notched ~3/8 of a inch to bring the mount towards the front of the car. I have a billet crossmember which already has the center bolt notched out which helped allot. Like i said the trans is longer.

The old t56 shifter just pops right on to the trans no issue. I did not note any differences in shifter location as Todd did. But I dont have a second viper to compare it too and the trans had been out of the car for a month... -To note I do have a B&M shifter with a brass base cup.

Driving notes - The shifting of 1st through 6th is amazing. Like butter smooth. Literally takes one or two finger to just toss into gear. Reverse even seems easier to get into which was the one thing I hated on the t56. Only time will tell if this trans will take the abuse I put my t56 through....:D

#41 ·
How is the reluctor ring held in place in the T56, press fit onto the output shaft? I wonder if it would be possible to manufacture a bushing to press onto the output shaft of the 6060 trans, thus negating the spot welds on the reluctor ring/output shaft and making tear down easier when the time comes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.